Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxes - An important part of collecting?

Default Boxes - An important part of collecting?

So i've just begun to unpack my collection and put it on display. For many years as I was building the collection I was getting a lot of boxed figures. The boxes also made things much easier to store and there was the whole resale aspect ... something which was probably moot as I don't have any intentions (at this stage) of selling.

But anyway ... unpacking ... i've been doing it, and now I seem to have a few empty boxes. I've seen some of you guys offer boxes up for others before and i'll probably end up doing that, but is having the box an important part of collecting?

I know the whole free range -vs- MIB/MISB debate, and that's really what this is, but realistically, i'm putting my collection on display, if I need to pack it up (let's say in the event of ... oh I dunno, another bloody cyclone) the boxes will be time consuming, so there's no real point in me keeping the boxes.

But how many are out there are actually interested in boxes, either for figures you need boxes for, or because you just like empty boxes?

And will there be enough interest on here for me to offload them or should I just simply toss 'em in the bin?

All my Takara G1 stuff is boxed and they will remain that way due to the fantastic boxes and the foam compared to the bubbles in the Hasbro versions but with the other stuff such as the Classics/Generations lines, I open them and throw away the plastic bits and keep the instructions and backing card in case I want to sell them.

Valkyrie's SDF:
    Transformer grails: MIB Minerva(the dream is OVER!!!! ), MIB Kiss Player Atariscream, MIB Kiss Player Sparkabots, Kiss Player Manga.

My collection is part-MISB, part loose figures - roughly split 60/40 that way.

If it's been opened, I'll throw the packaging out as I don't see a point in having un-necessary clutter laying around - I may however cut the back of the box out or keep the cardback if it's a carded figure.

I don't collect G1, but if I did, they would be the exception to the rule since they're somewhat 'vintage' and I think it would be worthwhile hanging onto the packaging as they're getting increasingly harder to track down in mint condition.

G1 aside, I doubt anyone would pay a slight premium for a re-boxed used toy over a loose one (if or when you decide to sell it) anyway.

As you may have seen in the thread where I'm giving away boxes, I just don't care for them anymore. The only boxes I'd keep were for the more expensive, harder-to-find figures as opposed to the figures that could easily be bought again at the local Target, but now they're just taking up much needed space. I store all my figures in zip-lock bags and then large plastic tubs, so when it comes time to move them (like recently moving to Brissie) it's less of a hassle and they take up less space.

I only keep Japanese or special boxes - most American get flatted and stored away.

I think they are a nuisance of collecting. They are nice enough to feel bad about throwing them out but they are bulky enough to eat up space quickly leaving you with a conundrum and hard choices.

Being a G1 collector, I just love boxes purely for the "vintage" feel that they emanate. I found that after having spent the last three years churning out a near complete loose collection of G1's - it really just aint the same without the boxes.

They represent a different aspect of displaying ones collection; but at the end of the day, it comes down to the person who is collecting. Some couldn't give a rats ass about the outer packaging - only what's on the inside and others are quite the opposite. So I guess it is up to you...

...but if you ever feel the need to clear our those raggedy old 80's boxes...I'd snap them up in a heartbeat

I open all the boxes and cut them up and keep them in a box.

Obviously for the Deluxe packaging, I throw the plastic away.

Only boxes I have kept have been the Alternity Optimus Prime, Megatron and Ultra Magnus.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I think they are a nuisance of collecting. They are nice enough to feel bad about throwing them out but they are bulky enough to eat up space quickly leaving you with a conundrum and hard choices.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I use to keep all the boxes but they ended up taking up too much space. So I cut out any pictures I like and throw the rest away. I do however keep some such as G1 or Masterpiece only because I like the look of them.