Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: a just males section suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by yukitora View Post
    who has the biggest whatever.

Well that's obviously me. Everybody knows Azns have the biggest noodles.

No offence, but I think that just highlighted the point Yuki was making. It was an unnecessary thing to say.

To answer the original point of the thread, and my reasoning behind subdivisions in general.

I think to say a forum is only allowed to be tends to constrain what people can do with it, and tends to prevent the very thing it seeks to set up - a community. Just because the community is brought together by a common interest does not mean that that is all that the community can, or should be allowed to, discuss. We are multi-faceted people, who have an interest in Transformers, as well as various other interests - be they comics, Lego, musicals, movies, sport, philosophy, or religion.

For example - I am a son, a brother, a Christian, and a student. I go to University, lead bible studies at my church, work half a dozen hours a week at Target. I enjoy going to the movies, watching certain TV shows (West Wing, Lost, Scrubs, Supernatural, etc), and thinking about the way things work. I don't actually read that many comics, but keep up with what's happening using wikis and through friends that do.

I raise that last point because when people discuss meets and get-togethers, one of the things that is invariably brought up is a visit to the local comic book store or toy shop, things which don't exactly excite me that much. Am I wrong for wanting to be able meet like minded people in a community that has come together over an interest in a 26 year old toy line? I'm sure that others have similar interests to some of those that I listed above, but why is there the attitude that I'm not allowed to talk about these topics with those that might also want to talk about these things because I'm on a TF board?

I'm not advocating the creation of sub-forums for every single possible interest area, and I suppose that most of these discussions could fall under the General Discussion banner, but sometimes the security of knowing that the conversation won't get hijacked (as this thread was) will encourage more wider discussions.

Anyway, that was way longer than I expected it to be, but just thought I'd throw in my 2cents.

@Yukitora - it might help if you put qualifiers like No Spam in threads you want to remain serious and on-topic. It works at Gamebanshee, another forum I frequent, and still allows people to have fun with less serious topics.

Personally I quite like the irreverence and frequent joking around we get here, especially since most answerable queries usually get addressed before we all start goofing off, but then the only serious advice/opinions I look for here are TF-related ones.