Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: TFC Toys Next Project: Superion!

Oh wow! That's bad. He can bot mode and alt mode at the same time. I'm sad I've got this sitting in my pile of loot. I like the other two but Silverbolt is just bad comedy.

Yeah I get the feeling this set isn't going to sell so well. I'm gonna hang off and see if I can pick it up on clearance a few months after they're all out.

If I don't get them at all, then, meh
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Well rumor has it that their wont be a second run of this guy due to low sales. While this is not big news to many due to TFC's styling of Uranos, to me it hints at another issue that has been speculated at a bit recently.

I have hit a point now that there is SO MUCH 3rd party stuff coming out that I can't in possibly buy it all. When I think about the figures getting released this year and do a quick mental cost calculation of the ones that interest me, my eyes nearly fall out of my head. And that's not counting official products!!!

So therefore I need to pick and choose my purchases. No doubt many others are finding themselves in the same situation. And it would appear that Uranos is becoming the first major victim of this over saturation of the 3rd party market. TFC seem to have made a few bad decisions recently, design cues on Uranos and now their next project, Ares seems like a case of incredibly bad timing. Whether they have already invested too much in Ares, or they just think that there is room for a 3rd Predaking, I can't say. But with the market as packed with products as it is now, I think TFC drastically need to lift their game and make some smart decisions about their future direction.

Not sure what you mean by bad decisions and design cues, that seems a bit subjective. I've been rather enjoying TFC's Uranos toys and their retro fighter plane alt modes, and I'm particularly looking forward to Falcon.

Compared to Hercules most of the robot designs and alt modes show a marked improvement in design and proportions IMHO. While the toys are not as amazing as some, they are all competently executed and solid all three forms. Blackbird is the weakest link, there's no doubt about that, however you can see the designers have prioritized a blocky G1 looking robot mode and his combiner form over his alt mode and it really shows. It's not a far cry from the sort of things Hasbro might have done in back in the day, and the sleekest transforming SR71 robot is still a Gobot.

As for Ares, I still feel everyone is jumping the gun on that, I don't think there is room for any more Predacons either, but I want to see exactly what the're offering before I go on the rampage. I really wish they'd release a torso bot for the Iron Army first though.

As for the rapid increase in Third Party products, I agree that there will soon come a time when we reach critical mass, and the amount for Third Party products begins to contract. Not sure if were there yet though. Though I have little doubt Hasbro's new generations and Takara's MP toys will eat into sales though.

I have been interested in some of the third party items but due to the MP's coming on strong this year it has stopped me looking at buying them altogether at the moment. Maybe if the MP line slows down towards the end of the year I may start buying the odd one again

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    Not sure what you mean by bad decisions and design cues, that seems a bit subjective. I've been rather enjoying TFC's Uranos toys and their retro fighter plane alt modes, and I'm particularly looking forward to Falcon.

Compared to Hercules most of the robot designs and alt modes show a marked improvement in design and proportions IMHO. While the toys are not as amazing as some, they are all competently executed and solid all three forms. Blackbird is the weakest link, there's no doubt about that, however you can see the designers have prioritized a blocky G1 looking robot mode and his combiner form over his alt mode and it really shows. It's not a far cry from the sort of things Hasbro might have done in back in the day, and the sleekest transforming SR71 robot is still a Gobot.

As for Ares, I still feel everyone is jumping the gun on that, I don't think there is room for any more Predacons either, but I want to see exactly what the're offering before I go on the rampage. I really wish they'd release a torso bot for the Iron Army first though.

As for the rapid increase in Third Party products, I agree that there will soon come a time when we reach critical mass, and the amount for Third Party products begins to contract. Not sure if were there yet though. Though I have little doubt Hasbro's new generations and Takara's MP toys will eat into sales though.
    I agree that this project has a lot going for it. Like I have said a few times in this thread already, I REALLY want to like it. And from all appearances the limb bots are living up to my expectations. It was just sheer will power that stoppped me from buying them when Phantom and Eagle came out, based on the great reviews. I literally spent 20 minutes in a shop in the Sino Centre in HK staring at them both before pulling my self away.

But Blackbird seems to be a massive let down in that:
    -The whole bot under a plane alt mode is disappointing. If they departed from the Concord, they should have picked an alt mode that could incorporate the robot parts better.
    -The whole 6th member as a chest shield. PR doesnt exactly work very well as a chest shield. With it Uranos looks very bitty and unrefined.
    -Uranos head. There is a whole lot of going on there.
    - Cost of the figures. While these guys are on par with 3rd party costs of about 12 months ago, things have changed in that time. Many more players are entering the market with similar/better quality releases at more competitive prices. Just look at Mech Ideas. $35 a figure. While I understand that they are different products, the fact is that 3P prices are coming down due to competition. Thus people will start comparing them and asking for justification for the extra money.

I admit all my problems are with one of the 5 figures, but he is the torso bot, thus the one that they needed to get right. In reality VERY few people are buying these for the individual bots. Everyone wants Superion. But due to BB, Superion just doesnt look that good. Not for $430 + shipping.

I understand that Robot Kingdom were asking for submissions on their facebook page for a 'Rage' kit for Uranos. I can't figure out if they are simply listening to the fandom and admitting that things need changing and as such are putting together a kit, OR whether this was a plan to milk a bit more money out of people. Personally I think it's a bit of both.

The thing with Ares is, we know TFC's aesthetic. We know their pricing. We have very strong hints that these Predacons will have Cybertronian alt modes/designs, so it won't be as G1 as the others. How many people are realistically going to buy this over the either UT or MMC's Predaking? Considering that the other 2 (especialy UT) are significantly ahead of them and most people would have by now committed to one or the other. I see most of their sales coming from die hard TFC fans, people that have not yet made up their mind on one of the other 2, or people with enough cash to fork out for 2 or even all 3 versions. I am none of the above, so that counts me out.

On the other hand, TFC are now the market leader when it comes to combiners. Ares will be their 3rd so you would think that it should be their best release yet. I hope so. The more companies chasing our money, the better it is for the consumer. And I am by no means hating on TFC. They are just the company I have picked as my example. There are a few of them out there that I believe can't continue to function the way they are. Xovergen, PE, iGear are other I can see that either do or potentially could have big problems.

Now, all of this is (in a very long winded way) comes back to my previous post about 3rd party market saturation. 12 Months ago, I still would have bought Uranos. No hesitation. Despite the problems, I would have still bought it and been happy with it. Not now though. I look at Uranos and think that there are better looking, better made (debatable I know) and better priced figures out there. And this is a line of thought that I am seeing becoming evident in others on boards as well.

Anyway, If you made it this far, give yourself a pat on the back and go do something to purge my nonsensical ramblings from your mind. I suggest listening to Miley Cyrus. That will empty anyones mind

TL;DR - Trent is bored and rambling.

So I got silverbolt err blackbird today and I really like it.
    Was searching about him and saw that someone on tfw did a chest mod and it looks pretty good except that I didnt like how the black was showing so I did this.

What do you think? I will be modifying his a head a little so all those clear yellow will be gold.

Or how about this?

Could someone post this on the tfw in their Uranos thread. Id like to see what they say since I don't havean account...well I forgot my login information.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by VGMStudios; 17th May 2013 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    I will be modifying his a head a little so all those clear yellow will be gold.

Thanks.
    How will you go about doing this? I'm keen to make that visor more opaque, was considering just straight up painting it red or something.

I like this one better, the white breaks it the body a little more cosmetically, in my opinion.

Wow some feedback. Thanks dude. Thought no one cared to provide me with some feedback.

To answer your question. Ill be painting his visor and antenna gold just like the original toy and im thinking of painting his face a dark grey or something.

I too like the 2nd pic as well but it seems off.
    I really hope they make a proper chest plate as they did for Hercules.

Vgm out...

Wow some feedback. Thanks dude. Thought no one cared to provide me with some feedback.

To answer your question. Ill be painting his visor and antenna gold just like the original toy and im thinking of painting his face a dark grey or something.

I too like the 2nd pic as well but it seems off.
    I really hope they make a proper chest plate as they did for Hercules.

Vgm out...
    I'm sure plenty of people just looking will be very keen to see how it turns out even if they don't give you feedback, but at least you know now that there's at least one person here interested!
    The chest plate as is doesn't bug me as much as it does most people, I agree that it could be nicer but unless the upgrade is significantly better, I'm happy to just leave it as is or steal yours.
    Please do show us/me how you go with the visor though, to me that was the part that I was most disappointed with (not the chest plate, the flappy bits, the "basic engineering" etc.)