Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumour - Hasbro to buy Mattel

Default Rumour - Hasbro to buy Mattel

A couple years ago there was some talk about Hasbro and Mattel looking to merge, but after greater growth at Hasbro and share buybacks, Hasbro could now be looking to buy out Mattel.

Even though Mattel is seen as the biggest toy company in the world (according to the amount of sales), Hasbro appears to be the one that is worth more.... and if this actually happens, it could see a number of rival brands under the one company, and the potential for even more unusual crossovers and Verses toys/sets.

But it could also see a dominance of the global toy industry that could squeeze out smaller players, or see long time brands (like Transformers) become a smaller portion (focus) of the new company, that would probably see a less fan-focussed attitude to these sorts of Brands.

Seiberton also posted an article this weekend saying Hasbro was going to buy Takara. I'm taking any takeover rumours with a mountain of salt.

It will all become Barbie

At least this opens a chance for MOTU to have some light shined upon once again if the rumour us true. Mattel seems to treat it more like a nuisance than a recognisable franchise.

Hasbro should buy Harmony Gold, so that we can get some proper transforming Robotech toys... or just SOME Robotech toys at all.

Would this get past the US anti-trust laws?

Microsoft had to prop up Apple for a time so they didn't violate anti-trust and have the feds break them up...

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Hasbro should buy Harmony Gold, so that we can get some proper transforming Robotech toys... or just SOME Robotech toys at all.
    That would be awesome!
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post

Microsoft had to prop up Apple for a time so they didn't violate anti-trust and have the feds break them up...
    Tell that to Disney
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post

A: The Trump administration is in favour of big business to the point where they are going to let AT&T and Time Warner merge 99% intact despite saying before the election it would never be allowed.

B: A combined Hasbro and Mattel will still have plenty of competition because of Bandai Namco, Jakks Pacific, McFarlane Toys, Takara Tomy, etc.

In the case of Microsoft in the 90s it really was the case that 99 point something percent of the market was made up by Microsoft and Apple combined so seeing Apple go would have been effectively a 100% monopoly.

I can just see a new Barbie appear on the shelves in a few years..

“Oooh, how about this one? Her name is Alice.”
    “And look Mummy, she does something called a One-step see!”
    ..CLICK
    “AARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!”
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot