Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripredacus Council

Default Tripredacus Council

Beast Wars fans should definitely check out Unicron9's DeviantArt page. He's created a great set of the Tripredacus Council from BW season 2.

http://unicron9.deviantart.com/galle...39?_sid=17fefe

Wow! They look awesome

That/they look absolutely friggin' fantastic! - If there was ever a scene from Beast Wars that warranted a statue, it's that very one!

I'm surprised that they've never rereleased Cicadacon, Sea Clamp and Ram Horn in those colours. Surely it would sell.

(Unless... was that why Telemocha Motorarm and Gimlet were the colours they were? Then we'd just need a new DJ.)

Oh dear. Oh no, no no no.

I know he's basing it off what was seen in the show:

But the red is only from the lights, surely.

We saw them in BW: The Gathering:

And they're just metallic.

Oh dear.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    But the red is only from the lights, surely.
    No, that's not how light works. They're still red under the table and in areas only reached by white light.

We saw them in BW: The Gathering:
    If one can cite the colouring of Transformers comic books as evidence, then...

Oh dear. Oh no, no no no... Oh dear.
    I'm pretty sure your post is the thing that all these 'oh dears' and 'nos' should be directed at.

Before they turn their individual red lights on:
    (Noting the single white light source)

After they turn their individual red light on:

Watching the scene in entirety, there is some weird lighting going on. Bits that appear grey/metallic under white light suddenly become red with the red light, but not all parts of them go red.

I'm still not sold on them being red.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...

Fair enough - it's quite possible that if Mainframe wasn't subject to time and budget that the Tripedacus Council would have been entirely metallic, or silver and red, or actually looked like Tripedacus. In the scene itself, the 'red' bits clearly react to light in a different way to the metallic body armour, so there is something different about them, and if those bits were in the real world looking like that, in a room with that balance of white and red light they would have to be red. It may well be that it's just a bad attempt at red lighting using digital animation, but I don't think there's anything empirical enough to argue that this guy coloured his own custom toys incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    It may well be that it's just a bad attempt at red lighting using digital animation, but I don't think there's anything empirical enough to argue that this guy coloured his own custom toys incorrectly.
    I think I'd have to agree here, as there is just enough evidence to favour BOTH "for" & "against" - I think what we have here is a rushed CG scene that was a product of its time, unfortunately being ambiguous enough to be confusing to this day.

Colouring/lighting aside; one has to admit that he's physically rendered the scene superbly, as I'm mightily impressed with their head-sculpts myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Fair enough - it's quite possible that if Mainframe wasn't subject to time and budget that the Tripedacus Council would have been entirely metallic, or silver and red, or actually looked like Tripedacus. In the scene itself, the 'red' bits clearly react to light in a different way to the metallic body armour, so there is something different about them, and if those bits were in the real world looking like that, in a room with that balance of white and red light they would have to be red. It may well be that it's just a bad attempt at red lighting using digital animation, but I don't think there's anything empirical enough to argue that this guy coloured his own custom toys incorrectly.
    The Animators were clearly going for an ominous/eerie/foreboding aesthetic with the red lights glowing from below, much like a torch held under the chin to tell ghost stories. I believe the 3 red lights alone weren't enough to give the Director the look he desired though, so the Animators simply rendered some parts of the Tripredacus Council members red, to help with the effect.

Here's an extract from the Beast Wars: Agenda Part 1 script:

INT. TRIPREDICUS COUNCIL ROOM
    START TIGHT on an emergency light in the tabletop as it FLICKERS ON. PULL BACK as we SEE that its dim redness vaguely illuminates the robot face of GENERAL RAMHORN. The two other members of the Tripredacus Council, GENERAL SEACLAMP and GENERAL CICADACON, are also dimly visible around the table.
    Sadly that's all the script can give us in regards to the setting, but it certainly tells us what the Writer (none other than Bob Forward himself) had envisioned in his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon
    I think I'd have to agree here, as there is just enough evidence to favour BOTH "for" & "against" - I think what we have here is a rushed CG scene that was a product of its time, unfortunately being ambiguous enough to be confusing to this day.

Colouring/lighting aside; one has to admit that he's physically rendered the scene superbly, as I'm mightily impressed with their head-sculpts myself.
    Yes, the TFWiki mentions the time constraints the Animators were under, so it's a shame we didn't get 3D models of a greater detail. I'm confident we'll see them again, one day...

And oh yes, I'm by no means disrespecting the modelling work by Unicron9 - they've come out superbly, as with his other pieces. And if they'd been solid grey all over, they'd have looked a bit odd and boring, but the boldness of the red is just a touch too far for me.