View Poll Results: What do you consider to be the WORST G1 Toy Concept?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Headmasters

2 5.26%
  • Powermasters

1 2.63%
  • Targetmasters

0 0%
  • Micromasters

1 2.63%
  • Action Masters

22 57.89%
  • Pretenders

6 15.79%
  • Combiners

0 0%
  • Palette-Swapped Figures

0 0%
  • Weird Monster Things

3 7.89%
  • Other

3 7.89%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you consider to be the WORST G1 Toy Concept?

Default What do you consider to be the WORST G1 Toy Concept?

(as usual, will preface this with the note that if this topic has been done before I apologize )

What do you consider to be the WORST G1 Toy Concept?

Got this idea talking on another thread when discussing the large gaps in my Gen 1 collection and how I had all of certain groups or types on toys, and little to zero of others. So I wondered how everyone else felt.

Voting in the poll is anonymous, however it would be cool if people could list their top 3 worst G1 Toy concepts in their answer.

Though I am sure everyone here knows the toy genre's and this will be redundant, here are some quick descriptions. Please note, I put in lots of categories to be fair, as even though I might love some groups (Targetmasters, Combiners) others may hate them:

Headmasters:
    Where the head of the robot/animal turns into a robot of its own while the main body turns into a vehicle/animal/building.

Powermasters: The engine of the vehicle turns into a robot of its own. In many cases it needed to be installed into the toy before transformation can take place.

Targetmasters: Either where the gun/s of a vehicle or robot turn into robots of their own, or a robot has a third transformation where it becomes the gun of a gestalt

Micromasters: Itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny robots that turned into vehicles. Often came with a base or could combine in vehicle form.

Action Masters: The robot could not transform, but would come with a Targetmaster partner that could or some form of machinery or vehicle that could change forms.

Pretenders: The outer shell resembling an organic humanoid, animal or a vehcile would open up to reveal a transforming robot inside.

Combiners: 5 to 6 bots would combine into one big bot!

Palette-Swapped Figures: Where the exact same mold was used with no retooling, just a simple colour change. Most prevalent in the 84/85 toys and the Micromasters.

Weird Monster Things:
    This refers to mainly Transformers that seemed to just turn into... things. Examples are the Monsterbots, Decepticon small Headmasters, Pretender Monsters etc. Bots that transformed into definite creatures such as the cassettes and Dinobots are not included.

Other: Any other sub-category of G1 Transformers you like (Sparkabots, Battlechargers etc).

Please bear in mind when voting to think of the group as a whole, not an individual bot. For instance, Tentakil could be considered to be a Combiner, Targetmaster and Weird Monster Thing.

So your challenge is:

1. Vote for your Worst G1 Toy Concept in the poll

2. List your top 3 worst G1 Toy Concepts with a brief description why you feel this way.

3. (Optional) Would you still buy these toys if you needed them to complete your G1 Collection?

My answers:

Top 3 Worst G1 Toy Concepts

1. Pretenders - hated these guys! The shells were often awful and seemed to serve no purpose unless the bots were going undercover on the planet of ugly-fraggers, and the inner toys were skinny, simplistic and resembled nothing.
    2. Action Masters - they did not transform! I'll say it again: Transformers. That. Did. Not. Transform!
    3. Weird Monster Things - What the pit was Blot supposed to be? Or Fangry? One of the main reasons my G1 Autobot toy count far exceeds my G1 Decepticon toy count.

Would I still buy these toys to complete my G1 Collection?

Sigh... yes, yes I would. And considering they make up a large proportion of those I have left to go, I eventually will.

1) Actionmasters, I only ever liked these when I was a little kid, I soon realized I'd rather have the transformable version of Starscream, Devastator, ect.

2) Pretenders, I never got how a 10m tall robot could fit in a human body.

3) Throttlebots, They always seemed like cheap imitations of the Minibots, but they did have a cool gimmick.

I'm more of a Classics and Masterpiece collector for G1 so I wouldn't buy these ever. I'll take G1 characters with modern engineering any day over the original in most cases.

I'll go with Pretenders. Their shells look butt ugly to me.
    Action masters aren't bad, but they aren't necessarily good either...

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I'm more of a Classics and Masterpiece collector for G1 so I wouldn't buy these ever. I'll take G1 characters with modern engineering any day over the original in most cases.

I must admit despite the fact I want to complete my G1 collection, I do spend more money on modern takes of classic characters. As well as classics/generations and masterpiece I'm quite the fan of alternators/alternity as well.

For some pics of classic characters next to their G1 counterparts I did a thread here:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...490#post338490

Easily action masters.

At least Pretenders transformed. If very badly.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Actionmasters, hands down are the worst series of G1 figures - I'd take a Decoy over an AM any day.

i'd have to agree with just about everyone.actionmasters were one of the worse toy concepts ever.how could they take what was a puzzle,a car and a robot and then turn it into a moulded piece of dung.

Quote Originally Posted by iamirondude
    i'd have to agree with just about everyone.actionmasters were one of the worse toy concepts ever.how could they take what was a puzzle,a car and a robot and then turn it into a moulded piece of dung.

+1

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Gotta be Pretenders. I can mostly get my head around the scale issues inherent in the TF brand, but pondering the Pretenders concept feels like a bad acid trip.

Great topic BTT!
    I think Action Masters are great! It's your favourite character, now compact and posable! I can't complain, Jazz got a skateboard strapped to a gun, possibly the coolest G1 weapon there is. Not to mention the line gave us that positively exquisite piece of art: Thundercracker in dungarees.

1. Vote for your Worst G1 Toy Concept in the poll
    2. List your top 3 worst G1 Toy Concepts with a brief description why you feel this way.

1 Headmasters
    Who thought this was a good idea? Brainstorm? Are you kidding me?
    It's the main reason why I couldn't take season 4 seriously. You know, aside from the fact that it sounds like they all went off to teach in the UK.
    I don't see how this concept makes logical sense in fiction either, especially with organics forming the head. What happens when they die? How is a headless robot supposed to fight?
    This particularly bugged me when IDW took Sunstreaker's head off. I'd just gotten into reading the comics and one of my favourite Autobots was ruined for the foreseeable future. I'm just thankful they fixed him.

2 Pretenders
    The saving grace is the adorable inner robot. Some shells like Bludgeon and Chainclaw are pretty cool. The majority of them just look daft though, like that half-naked viking dude.

3. (Optional) Would you still buy these toys if you needed them to complete your G1 Collection?

Fortunately, Jazz kept a cool head on his shoulders, so I won't have to buy any Headmasters.
    As for the Pretender, just, keep the helmet on please.

Oh, and for all you action master haters, I'm happy to adopt any unwanted AM Jazzes. He'll go to a good home for a change.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2