Page 5 of 154 FirstFirst ... 23456789101525 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    The Raid: Redemption (2012) 5/5

Most entertaining martial arts movie I've seen since Tom Yum Goong, it's an absolute cult classic in the making. It doesn't waste any time getting into the action, the premise is great, the bad guys are fascinating (especially love the little right-hand man of the boss, he's the new Bolo except, well, tiny!). I just can't say enough good things about this film, it's quite simply epic!

The Hunger Games (2012) 1/5

Felt like several episodes of a low budget, poorly made American TV show ripoff of Battle Royale thrown together to make it movie length. It doesn't help that it easily has some of the worst art direction I've ever seen in a movie and a director whose idea of good action is to rapidly move the camera from side to side so the viewer has no idea what's actually happening. He makes Michael Bay's action look like an attempt at still life. I have to imagine the books are better than this tripe.

Oh I am hanging to see The Raid. This has made me want to see it anymore. Interesting opinion of The Hunger Games. Your the first person I've heard give a negative review of the film... I still want to see it, to see what the hype is about and I just hope I don't make the same mistake I did with Twilight
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Watched 'The Hunter' last night; a flick about an American scientist/hunter tasked by a research group to travel to Tasmania and acquire physical biological specimens of the labelled (And fabled) extinct Tasmanian Tiger, as it is believed to secrete a toxin that paralyses it's prey and said research group wants to map and patent the DNA of the Thylacine.

The hunter tasked with this mission is played by Willem Dafoe, also staring Sam Neil and is a Screen Australia film; An excellent movie with a great story (Of which I've avoided mentioning most of ) with superb performances by the cast and stunning visuals of an otherwise disregarded landmass - You'll end up feeling sad for the nigh-mythical beast and will have your position on it's current state of existence questioned.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes actual good Aussie movies, Mysteries & Zoology/Palaeontology.

makes Michael Bay's action look like an attempt at still life.
    You should offer them that line for the sequel's movie poster. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    You should offer them that line for the sequel's movie poster. :P
    Haha, I would lol heartily if they used it. My favourite so far this year is "...plenty to scream about" EMPIRE on the cover of the The Thing 2012 dvd cover. Had a good old chortle over that one.

The Raid: Redemption (2012) 5/5

Most entertaining martial arts movie I've seen since Tom Yum Goong, it's an absolute cult classic in the making. It doesn't waste any time getting into the action, the premise is great, the bad guys are fascinating (especially love the little right-hand man of the boss, he's the new Bolo except, well, tiny!). I just can't say enough good things about this film, it's quite simply epic!

The Hunger Games (2012) 1/5

Felt like several episodes of a low budget, poorly made American TV show ripoff of Battle Royale thrown together to make it movie length. It doesn't help that it easily has some of the worst art direction I've ever seen in a movie and a director whose idea of good action is to rapidly move the camera from side to side so the viewer has no idea what's actually happening. He makes Michael Bay's action look like an attempt at still life. I have to imagine the books are better than this tripe.
    Ooo I love the irrelevant comparisons between The Hunger Games and the totally over-hyped Battle Royale.

Yes, they both include children killing eachother - that's about where it ends.

But honestly It doesn’t take a Ph.D. in literature or history to grasp that both works have their roots in long-standing traditions of science fiction, social satire and mythology, and that both endeavor to be simultaneously contemporary and ancient, The Running Man anyone?

And what about Orwells '1984' ?

I've read 1984 but can you shed light on how it's relevant to BR or HG or RM?

As for Running Man I thought that was a hilarious movie, what with the spandex-tight clad 80' clothing and the funny villains

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    I've read 1984 but can you shed light on how it's relevant to BR or HG or RM?

As for Running Man I thought that was a hilarious movie, what with the spandex-tight clad 80' clothing and the funny villains
    The depictions of dystopian futures, pervasive government surveillance, and a political system designed to keep total control of all civilians.

I was not referring to The Running Man movie, but the book the film is based on, that it too includes a game about civilians killing each other, well a certain number being hunted down.

Quote Originally Posted by gantz View Post
    The depictions of dystopian futures, pervasive government surveillance, and a political system designed to keep total control of all civilians.
    Ah I see, because I thought you meant that 1984 had civilians / innocent people forced into combat against each other as entertainment for the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by gantz View Post
    Ooo I love the irrelevant comparisons between The Hunger Games and the totally over-hyped Battle Royale.

Yes, they both include children killing each other - that's about where it ends.
    How are they irrelevant comparisons? Both movies are largely about:

-Children forced into a zone-separated jungle environment
    -Children provided with supply packs containing weapons and support aids
    -Aim is to be the last man standing in order to win
    -TV cameras monitoring the action 24/7

It's just that HG takes half its running time getting to the point, boring us to death with a protagonist with a severe case of Ben Affleck "I think I left the back door open" look and a love interest who laments over throwing bread in the rain.

It's just that HG takes half its running time getting to the point, boring us to death with a protagonist with a severe case of Ben Affleck "I think I left the back door open" look and a love interest who laments over throwing bread in the rain.
    The Hunger games movie follows the book fairly well, but they didn't do that scene as well as the book, where it was only really looked at from Katniss's perspective of her feeling like she owed him for that act of kindness. In the movie it looks like it was almost an after thought that he threw the bread to her, whereas in the book he purposely burnt the bread so he'd have to throw it out to Katniss and subsequently copped a beating for it.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)