View Poll Results: POTP DLX Blackwing - worth buying?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 50.00%
  • Only if (cheap or something else)

5 35.71%
  • No

1 7.14%
  • Not even interested

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - POTP DLX Blackwing

Default Toy Review - POTP DLX Blackwing

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)

Blackwing (Darkwing)
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Power of the Primes
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Heavy remould of CW Skydive/Airaid
    Wave - 2
    Released here - not yet (Asia & America FEB 2017)
    Approximate Retail Price - AU$25-35 (US$17)
    Approximate Size - 14cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Fighter Jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner limb & combines with Dreadwind to make bigger jet
    Main Colours - Blue, grey, purple
    Main Accessories - 2 guns, combiner fist

You should know what to expect from a Combiner Wars jet... the only difference is the ability for the wings to rotate 360 degrees for robot mode (and maybe combined with Dreadwind mold? I haven't tried it yet).

Two points, one serious and one not:

Where are the back-mounted boosters shown in the packaging art?

My Blackwing came out of the pack with the blue tail fins bent at the tip from the way it was packed. I boiled a kettle of water, soaked the legs in the boiled water for a few minutes, then held the fins in the proper position and ran them under cold water to fix them.

He's a good toy, and I'm glad to have a Dreadwind and Darkwing in my CHUG collection, but I can't help but feel that both of these guys would have benefited from brand new molds - Darkwing in particular has a lot of over-engineering in those wings just so they can turn the right way to homage the original. Plus the robot head doesn't fit in jet mode very well due to the 'teddy bear' ears. The combined jet mode is lame to the point where it should maybe have been a hidden bonus rather than explained in the instructions. At some point surely it's easier to just make a new toy...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    He's a good toy, and I'm glad to have a Dreadwind and Darkwing in my CHUG collection, but I can't help but feel that both of these guys would have benefited from brand new molds - Darkwing in particular has a lot of over-engineering in those wings just so they can turn the right way to homage the original. Plus the robot head doesn't fit in jet mode very well due to the 'teddy bear' ears. The combined jet mode is lame to the point where it should maybe have been a hidden bonus rather than explained in the instructions. At some point surely it's easier to just make a new toy...
    Yeah. I appreciate the effort they've put into remolding these two and tweaking the engineering, and it's something that I'd like to see HasTak keep doing in lieu of straight repaints, but I think it's perhaps misapplied here.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Yeah. I appreciate the effort they've put into remolding these two and tweaking the engineering, and it's something that I'd like to see HasTak keep doing in lieu of straight repaints, but I think it's perhaps misapplied here.
    Yes. Ever since the great job they did on retooling Springer into Sandstorm, it's almost been a competition at Hasbro to see how crazy their retooling can get. With a combiner figure, it makes sense, because the length of the combined modes need to be uniform. But on other figures, why? Did they really save any money or effort retooling Scourge into Highbrow???

I don't mind characters being headmasters or combiners that weren't in G1, but in this case I think these two characters would have been better served as separate figures later on with a proper powermaster gimmick and better combined vehicle mode.

I just got mine (a friend grabbed it in the USA); I have not seen this wave locally at all.

Anyway, I do agree there's some extra engineering due to the retooling / some redundant aspects of the mould.

I'm a fan of this toy though. While he's not amazing, it's a nice updated Darkwing. Yes Darkwing. There's no black on this toy.

Worth my $26.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

At least they didn't call him Scattor Tankorwing.

I'd buy this toy if I found it locally but not enthused enough to import it.

Don't like it that my versions head is not properly attached to the body and I agree that the combined mode isn't special but there is an alternative and better combined mode that involves removing Dreadwinds vertical back fins that may be of interest to Mr. snaketales.
    It ends up with Blackwings nose and cockpit pointing forward instead of backwards.

Ps. The main reason I got Blackwing was to combine him with Starscream.

I love these guys. I'm a big Super-God Masterforce fan, so I am noticeably biased. Nothing beats forming Darkwings and whooshing around the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I'm a big Super-God Masterforce fan,
    If TakaraTOMY were to release this toy (and POTP Dreadwind) in their Masterforce colours I would definitely get them. Hail Hydra.