0 0%
  • No

1 9.09%
  • Not even interested

1 9.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series VOY Starscream

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    The undercarriage is not as compact as the real thing, but at the Voyager scale this is probably as good as it gets for a transforming F22 toy. As everyone mentioned, the paint is beautifully executed.
    A friend of mine's who's an avid Macross collector also got this Starscream and thinks that it's a really nice toy. He said that it's easy for people to dismiss toys like this Voyager Starscream as being inferior to contemporary Macross Valkyries, but he pointed out key differences such as:
    * This toy is based on a very complex live action movie CGI model, Valkyries are not.
    * From a toy engineering/design POV, this is a robot that transforms into a plane. Valkyries are planes that transform into robots.
    * Cost (and thus budget). This toy costs $50 or less at retail. I just saw someone drop a pre-order on an upcoming Macross Valkyrie for $350.

So I totally agree that at the Voyager scale, this really is an excellent toy.
    TakaraTOMY seems to be dipping their toes into the upper price ranges that we see with other transforming robot brands in Japan - initially with the high price of MP Sunstreaker and then with the whopping price of MP Dinobot. While these prices feel super-expensive for Transformers collectors, they're about average compared to TakaraTOMY's other collector-centric competitors' products. But I suppose time will tell if Transformers collectors are willing to meet TakTOM at the price range or not. What works for other transforming robot toys may not work for Transformers. <shrugs>

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    TakaraTOMY seems to be dipping their toes into the upper price ranges that we see with other transforming robot brands in Japan - initially with the high price of MP Sunstreaker and then with the whopping price of MP Dinobot. While these prices feel super-expensive for Transformers collectors, they're about average compared to TakaraTOMY's other collector-centric competitors' products. But I suppose time will tell if Transformers collectors are willing to meet TakTOM at the price range or not. What works for other transforming robot toys may not work for Transformers. <shrugs>
    I got into Soul of Chogokin last year after a trip to Japan. I now have played with a few and own several SOCs, including Gunbuster and Saikyo Robo Daioja which have been praised as two of the best from the line engineering wise. Honestly, from what I've seen TT can kill Bandai engineering wise any day of the week imo. The SOC doesn't come even close to TT's Transformers Masterpiece in terms of transformation engineering. But Bandai's build quality and QC have always been top notch; quality plastic, crisp paint apps, die cast content (including die cast load bearing joints), and generous amount of accessories, etc. The SOCs just feel "premium" in hand and you just feel you've got your money's worth.

I've always felt Transformers are more difficult than other toys to budget as so many man hours go into making the design work. If it weren't for Takara, Hasbro would probably have to charge a lot more on their RRP just to have the engineering done locally.

I kinda see where TT want to go with what they're doing now, but they need to up their QC game a lot, and hope people come on board with the price increase vs. the extras we get.

Digression over.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    Digression over.
    but a well thought out interesting digression all the same. Having never handled any of those toys I appreciate your appraisal.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Something that I've found really gives this toy posing character is if you use the joints that rotate the thighs into position for jet mode as ersatz thigh swivels. The actual CGI model for Starscream in the movies always had a lot of curve and bend to it, and posing the thighs using those joints can break up the straight lines and flat surfaces on this design in the same way that the shoulder setup in the leader class mold does.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Cracked open my SS SS :P today and I have no concern in stating this is by far the best Transformer I have played with this year! His build quality is excellent! Excellent joint tolerances, excellent weight, solid plastic feel. Engineering and execution is sublime. To me it is most evident alot of love went into developing this ver of SS. I cannot state how happy I am with this figure.
    IMO if you were only going to buy one Studio Series fig this is the one to get!

6 stars out of 5 :P

Bravo TakTom Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbleb33 View Post
    Cracked open my SS SS :P today and I have no concern in stating this is by far the best Transformer I have played with this year! His build quality is excellent! Excellent joint tolerances, excellent weight, solid plastic feel. Engineering and execution is sublime. To me it is most evident alot of love went into developing this ver of SS. I cannot state how happy I am with this figure.
    IMO if you were only going to buy one Studio Series fig this is the one to get!

6 stars out of 5 :P

Bravo TakTom Bravo!
    I would like to endorse this. In the months since I bought this it reminds my go to absent minded fiddling and posing figure.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.