View Poll Results: Which is your favourite?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abominus

0 0%
  • Battle Gaia

0 0%
  • Bruticus

5 14.29%
  • Defensor

4 11.43%
  • Devastator

9 25.71%
  • Dino King

0 0%
  • Guard City

0 0%
  • Landcross

0 0%
  • Lio Kaiser

0 0%
  • Menasor

4 11.43%
  • Monstructor

2 5.71%
  • Piranacon

0 0%
  • Predaking

3 8.57%
  • Sixbuilder/Sixliner/Sixtrain/Sixturbo/Sixwing

0 0%
  • Superion

8 22.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favourite G1 Gestalt?

Superion. Yes it was my first combiner but I've always loved planes & jets. So that's my choice.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Superion. Yes it was my first combiner but I've always loved planes & jets. So that's my choice.
    Same with me, even ended up with a couple of extra Aerialbots (Sky Dive and 1 other I can't remember). Predaking is my fav these days though.

I voted before I read 'as a child' and voted Preadaking as he now is my fav G1 gestalt toy, the others just don't compare!

As a child it was Menasor as he was the only one I had. As a teen I got Superion, Defensor and Bruticus - I love them all too

Heh, I was planning to do this exact same poll Gok, but about the Combiner Wars when they finally finish

I always wanted Superion as a kid. He was the only combiner I ever wanted (or even just parts of him). Autobot Planes were such an awesome concept to me both in the cartoon and as toys on the shelf, but as always I wasn't allowed them because my parents didn't approve of me having "boy toys".
    So you can probably guess it wasn't hard to convince me to get the first Combiner Wars set when it came out given it was a version of the planes I ALWAYS begged for as a child.

Huh. I thought Devastator would win this by a landslide. Only been a dozen-ish votes so far. It could change.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

^THIS!

Devastator is imo the best looking team aesthetically, they look like a team with their colours and the combined mode is just kick ass!

second fav would be Predaking followed by Piranacon in third
    My sales thread: LINK HERE

My favourite as a child? Menasor.
    Big me likes Liokaiser a lot though.

Devastator. The original and the best.

I like Devastator -- the best thing about him is that he was cheap and easy to complete!

But reasons why it's not my favourite (especially over Defensor) include:
    • Unstable. Devastator falls apart fairly easily. The first time I formed Devastator was in my friend's backyard - he lived right behind a train line - and we used to play this game called "Train Scaring" (i.e. we yelled at passing trains ). I wanted to use Devastator to 'scare the trains away' (it must've worked, because they always "ran away" ). I soon learnt that moving Devastator rapidly would make him more prone to having parts fall off him, which I'd be retrieving from between blades of grass. Luckily none of the parts ever fell in the corner of the yard where his cat pooped (that cat later learnt how to use a toilet though!).
      Defensor and other gestalts were far more stable. I could happily run around the house or yard with them without fearing that bits would fly off.

• He's kinda gangly, mostly because his torso is comprised of two smaller carded figures instead of a larger boxed toy.

• I liked having more of the gestalt members being able to directly connect together without relying on additional parts; and I'm especially talking about Long Haul's waist connector. Having the leg components connect directly to the main body of other gestalts always felt cooler to me. Call it the Voltron Effect.

• Articulation; okay, the articulation on Defensor and other G1 gestalts aren't great, and it was incidental rather than intended, but it was still better than Devastator. Because the connecting pegs of the limbs could swing 90 degrees (allowing them to be arms or legs), it also incidentally gave them the ability to bend their legs and have de facto knees.

And this didn't particularly bother me as a kid, but as an adult I'm not the greatest fan of the uniform green colour. When I first saw images of Devastator's Diaclone colours, I thought that they looked better than his Transformers colours as it offered a greater diversity of palette. The uniform green just looks dull. The later G1 Constructicons kinda mixed it up with a combination of yellow and grey, but of course, they couldn't freakin' combine! Then G2 came along and made them all uniformly yellow or orange... just as dull. It's not bad per se, but not as exciting as having a mix of colours, such as the colour scheme on RotF Devastator. Remember how the G1 coloured variant of RotF Devastator badly shelfwarmed?

But I will say something else that I liked about him over the other G1 gestalts, and that was the incidentally self-contained feet (rather than relying on detachable foot pads). Although it's not quite as clever as Defensor's self-contained head, I still really liked how Scrapper and Mixmaster could form Devastator's legs without needing any accessories. Especially Mixmaster. He was my second Constructicon and initially I would form the leg mode and just playing with him as this really awesome giant leg! (much like Ambulon, only useful ). Scrapper was my second last Constructicon and I found his leg mode to be not quite as awesome as Mixmaster's.

I don't think that Devastator's a bad toy - don't get me wrong - but I wouldn't rate him as the best. Not when I was a kid, and certainly not now as an adult.

Superion here.