Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overrated and Underrated Toys

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Oh. You mean the new Voyager WFC:Siege Megatron. He looks like he has the same engineering except ending up as a H Tank.
    I doubt that he has the same engineering.

Look at what can be accomplished with deluxe sized Transformers. Bigger isn't always better. The bigger they are, the more hollow plastic is added, the more unwieldy the toy, the less transportable, the more room it takes up the dumber it looks next to other figures in the line. They normally have more of those clicky ratcheted joints that make potability stiff and awkward.

I know what you mean, and in a general sense I agree. Often the smaller toys are better and are typically superior value for money. Legends Class ROTF Jetfire is proportionately far superior to Leader Jetfire, and Legends Class ROTF Devastator is still by far the best set of toys that we've ever had for the ROTF Constructicons. Far superior to the utter steaming pile of garbage that was Combiner Class Devastator.

So you're right, bigger isn't always better... but sometimes it can be just as good - and again, I'm speaking in relative terms. Examples:
    * Voyager vs Leader TLK Optimus Prime - I skipped Leader TLK OP but I own the original AOE Generations Leader OP (same mould) and I have Voyager TLK OP. Both are very nice toys for their respective size and price. I don't really consider one to be better or worse than the other for what I paid.
    * Voyager vs Leader TLK Megatron - I skipped Leader TLK Megatron in favour of the Voyager, but I've seen/handled someone else's Leader TLK Megatron and it's just as good a toy. Being of equal goodness it doesn't inspire me to go and buy the Leader since I'm happy enough with the Voyager, but I don't consider the Leader to be inferior either.
    * Legends Vs Deluxe 2018 Movie Bumblebee - I love both of these toys. Sure, the Legends doesn't have elbow articulation, but for a cheap little toy I'm more than happy to let that slide. Speaking of sliding, I love how the Legends figure is compatible with the Ignition motor gimmick.

I absolutely agree that bigger toys aren't necessarily better than smaller ones, and there are numerous examples where smaller toys are superior to their larger counterparts. But I'm just saying that this isn't always the case and that there are other cases where the larger figure is just as good as the smaller one. Although having said that, while we can see many cases where the smaller toys are superior, there are far fewer cases where the larger toys are superior -- at best they seem to be on par but not better. There are rare exceptions like Leader Class Animated Megatron who I think is hands down the best version of Animated Megatron. But these are exceedingly rare. So IMO...
    + Smaller toys are usually better than bigger toys
    + Sometimes bigger toys can be just as good as smaller toys, but rarely better

RE: Hollow plastic
    Transformers have been using hollow parts since at least the mid 1990s (there are probably earlier examples, but 1995 comes to my mind atm). But for at least 23 out of the 34 years that we've been collecting these toys, there have been hollow parts. Another thing to bear in mind is that hollow parts does not necessarily mean a compromise in the integrity of the parts or even the weight of the toy.
    e.g. Combiner Wars Hook weighs 176g without holding any weapons vs Generations Springer who weighs 147g while holding all weapons.
    So some of these toys with hollow parts are actually weightier than those without.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    While that may be, I feel that if the exact same figure was downsized, they would be far superior.

I don't think you quite understand the manufacturing process. Making a voyager toy out of a Leader class Megatron doesn't automatically turn it into a Soundwave.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    * G1 style robot mode with Spark chamber inside chest (as seen in the episode "Master Blaster")

Say WHAAAATT??
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    I doubt that he has the same engineering.
    Certainly. On one hand the basic shape and transformation is the same. Fore treads end up on the back. Legs are the rear treads. Arms for the turret with the fusion cannon in between.

OTOH the devil is in the details. The legs face the opposite direction transformed. The shoulder structure/turret rotation is simplified (more like the Legends one). No rolling treads. No firing missile.

I will be very intrigued to see what carries over and what doesn't. Some things like the turret rotation were probably too complex for the scale, but the legs seem lazy. All good fun.

Under rated - GDO Cliffjumper.

Can't understand the indifference that this figure faces. Fun transformation, a fitting alt mode and integrated weaponry. Yes it's literally the exact same figure as TFP FE Cliffjumper with a single different paint app and a new head. It's still bloody awesome
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Yes it's literally the exact same figure as TFP FE Cliffjumper with a single different paint app and a new head. It's still bloody awesome
    I think this explains why this figure is often overlooked. I'm sure it's a great figure as TFPFE Cliffy is a great figure.

Generations Legends Bumblebee/Cliffjumper gets a lot of hate, but he's a pretty spiffy toy, albeit with a stiff head. If it could rotate, he'd be fantastic. I love the transformation.