Page 31 of 195 FirstFirst ... 112126272829303132333435364151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I never before realized what a butt-ugly alt mode Generations Drift has. It's horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The original looks even worse, although it is a Cybertronian vehicle mode. HasTak obviously based the toy off the comic model but modified the alt mode to try and make it look more Earthen but at the same time identifiable as that weird looking box-sled wannabe-Batmobile... thing.
    You'se guys must have your 'can't see cool stuff' glasses on
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I don't personally think that Drift's vehicle mode looks bad, but my meaning was that if Trent thinks that it's ugly, the original Cybertronian mode is worse. There are a few things about the Drift mould that I'm not a huge fan of, but overall I do like the toy. I'll put it this way, although I think that the Drift mould doesn't work as well for Blurr, I'm happy enough with it that I'm intended to skip Titans Returns Blurr.

I was playing round with Classics Prime... He is great but he seems to short these days with the TR deluxes being taller and CW Voyagers dwarf him... Will we ever get a Prime just as good as Classics?

Edit: I saw an image of TR Fort Max with Titan Plex. Fort is shorter

Modern English itself is a massive mix of foreign languages. e.g. "Mirage" is a French word, but it's also an accepted English word now, whereas "grabuge" is not. It can be somewhat subjective, but here are Transformer names that could be argued as being non-English:
    * Optimus (Latin); "Prime" is accepted in English (e.g. Prime Minister etc.)
    * Megatron (Greek)
    * Superion (hybrid Latin/Greek); "superior" (Lat) x "hyperion" (Grk)
    * Galvatron (Italian x Greek); from the Italian name "Galvani," which became "galvanise/galvanisation" in English via French.
    * Submarauder (Latin + French); while the French word "marauder" is accepted as English, this also includes the Latin word "sub" which means "under." So this is an "under-marauder."
    * Banzai-Tron/Banzaitron (Japanese x Greek); "Banzai" (万歳) basically means "long live the Emperor" in Japanese, although in contemporary usage it's more like "Hooray!" "Ban" = 10,000 and "zai" = age, so it literally means "age 10,000," implying that the Emperor may live to be 10,000 years old (long life).
    * Pyro (Greek); meaning 'fire'. English only uses this word as a suffix (e.g. pyrotechnics etc.) but never as a stand alone word.
    * Scorponok (Greek x Danish/Norwegian); "nok" meaning "enough" in some Nordic languages.
    * Metroplex (Greek x Latin). "Metro" comes from the Greek word for 'mother' (μήτηρ) and "plex" comes from the Latin word for "entwine" (plectere). These words are used as prefixes and suffixes respectively in English (e.g. metropolitan, duplex etc.), but not in this combination.
    * Megaplex (Greek); A million twists!
    * Noctorro (Latin + Spanish); noctis means "night" in Latin, and "toro" means "bull" in Spanish (from the Latin word "taurus"). The additional "r" is probably a deliberate misspelling because "torro" in Spanish means to toast or roast food. Cook the night!
    * Ramulus (English + Latin); obviously a blend between the English word "ram" (which is of English origin!) and the Roman god "Romulus."
    * Magnus (Latin); meaning "great." Ultra is accepted as English (e.g. ultra violet). Although "Ultra" is actually feminine; the masculine is "Ulter."
    * Nightcruz (English + Spanish); Night is English (also of English origin!), but "cruz" is Spanish (and Portuguese and Tagalog) for "cross" (from the Latin "crux"). So he's a... night-cross?
    * Mega-Octane (Greek+ Greek x Latin); although "octane" is used in English, the Greek suffix "Mega" isn't used this way in English.
    * Reptilion (Latin x Greek)
    * Ro-Tor (Norse-English); "Ro" means 'to rest' in Old Norse and "tor" in Old and Middle English means 'a high rock' or 'a lofty hill.' So "Ro-Tor," in Germanic, means "resting on a high rock."
    * Movor (English x German); "Mo" is Old/Middle English for "more," and "vor" means "fore" in German. So as Julia Gillard would say, "Moving forward."
    * Excellion (Latin x Greek); I'm assuming that the additional 'L' is a deliberate thing, because otherwise this would just be a combination of two English words; "excel" and "lion." Growl. But I'm assuming that it's combining the Latin-based English word "excel" with the Greek "-ion" ending (like Superion, Victorion etc.).
    * Victorion (Latin x Greek); 'victoria' being Latin for "winning" and again that Greek ending
    * Astrotrain (Greek x French); "astro" being the Greek word for "star," which English uses as a prefix (e.g. astronomer) but not as a stand alone word. Huh... I guess "Astroxiphos" would be Greek for "Star Sabre."
    * Meister (German); meaning "master" and the Japanese name for Jazz, Hasbro also used this for the name of Alternators Meister (as they couldn't secure the trademark for "Autobot Jazz" for Alternators).
    * Kobushi (Japanese); literally means "old warrior" (古武士). This sounds more like a Function than a name in Japanese.
    * Rapido (Italian); meaning quick, fast or rapid. From the Latin "rapidus."
    * Maximus (Latin); "greatest."
    * Chromia (Latin); "colour." This is the feminine form too (masc. "chromium"). From the Greek "chrome." e.g. something with one colour is "monochrome."
    * Elita (Slavic); meaning "elite." From the Latin word "eligere" (to elect).
    * Octopunch (Greco-Latin x Latin via French); obviously attaching the Greco-Latin prefix "octo" (8) with the English word "punch" (which originated from Latin (pungo) via French (ponchonner)).

That's all I can think of for now. But this only represents a minority of Transformers names. The vast majority of TF names are comprised of words which are accepted in English.

I took my computer to a new place to be repaired today as the old place I took it to has changed hands and the new owner is useless. Anyway, when I took the computer in the bloke behind the counter said "Does it transform?"

I did a double take and looked at him, then looked at the name on his shirt, it turned out the guy is a member of my FB transformatorium page that I went to primary school with and hadn't seen in the flesh in 30 years!

We ended up having a big TF talk. Amazing what we remembered from so long ago, like I remembered he was the first kid I ever knew to own an Optimus Prime (and he still has it!) and he remembered that I had Blurr and Mirage and we used to argue about who was faster and then my Mirage broke.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I took my computer to a new place to be repaired today as the old place I took it to has changed hands and the new owner is useless. Anyway, when I took the computer in the bloke behind the counter said "Does it transform?"

I did a double take and looked at him, then looked at the name on his shirt, it turned out the guy is a member of my FB transformatorium page that I went to primary school with and hadn't seen in the flesh in 30 years!

We ended up having a big TF talk. Amazing what we remembered from so long ago, like I remembered he was the first kid I ever knew to own an Optimus Prime (and he still has it!) and he remembered that I had Blurr and Mirage and we used to argue about who was faster and then my Mirage broke.
    Tell him to join up dude!
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Tell him to join up dude!
    I want him concentrating on fixing my computer - not playing in here.

Other random thought - I just got titanium Jetfire today and am really pleased with him, I don't know why but for some reason I often really dig figures that aren't perfectly symmetrical

On Facebook I was remembered that Optimus once said boobies
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

I'm thinking of making a trailer for classics Prime and people say get Styrene but where the hell would i got and is it like plastic or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxius._ View Post
    I'm thinking of making a trailer for classics Prime and people say get Styrene but where the hell would i got and is it like plastic or what?
    Probably a craft, art, or hobby store would stock styrene sheets. You could also try a large newsagent, if they're like the ones here that sell individual sheets of paper and card.

It's like something inbetween card and craft foam, I think.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2