Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Info and Activities > Kup's Discussions and Questions

Sightings/Sales

View Poll Results: Will you continue to collect Takar MPs
Yes, I will continue with all TT MPs 3 8.33%
Yes, I will continue collecting most/many TT MPs 11 30.56%
I might still get the occasional release 17 47.22%
I'm seriously having second thoughts about continuing, 3 8.33%
I'm out, my wallet can't take anymore. 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th July 2018, 07:14 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I just realised Dinobot is the only new MP mould this year outside of the MPM line.

High prices and fewer releases... I really wish I could personally ask Takara what their plans are for the MP line.
Old 5th July 2018, 07:22 PM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
Being almost exclusively an MP collector I'll remain a completionist. However, I am quite bemused at the Argentinian like inflation in MP pricing which seemed to start with Sunstreaker.
I've noticed this as well and have seen Sunstreaker ranging from $150 to $180. A real bummer because this is one of those rare times I have my eye on an MP.
Old 5th July 2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
I just realised Dinobot is the only new MP mould this year outside of the MPM line.

High prices and fewer releases... I really wish I could personally ask Takara what their plans are for the MP line.
Their plan has always been to squeeze as much money as they can from collectors with as little effort as possible, either through choosing molds based purely on re-use potential (and NOT through fan popularity) or the slow inflation of prices. And hey, they're a business so they're there to make money, but as a G1 fan I'm resigned to two awful truths:

1. it's going to be a very, very long time before I'll ever finish my G1 MP collection
2. there is the possibility that there will be even more version 2.0 iterations of characters I already have. At which point I'm calling it quits.
Old 5th July 2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post

A possibility just hit me and I really hope I'm wrong. What if, with all this talk of shared universes, the aim is to torpedo the Masterpiece line as more trouble than it's worth, by pricing it into oblivion. After all, we've now had an end to the Legends series as we know it, while the Masterpiece line is now being increasingly priced to the point where something doesn't sell. When that happens, Takara could justfiy pulling the plug. Meanwhile while fans keep paying the prices, they just keep bumping them up until they hit the shelf-warmer.

Like I said, I really hope I'm wrong. However it could be that the bean counters at Takara want to cheap out as much as possible with Transformers by simply doing what Hasbro does as part of this shared design approach.