Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minor update to Userguide/Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    See I am the opposite I like to see the video reviews and some people put a lot of effort into those videos they create plus it gives you a visual on a figure if I need to see it Where words just don't cut it.
    I like video reviews also as they also help me if i get stuck with transforming them for instance.

but, yeah, any video review over 5-6 minutes (depending on the figure) is stretching it for me -you really don't need any more to show me the articulation, transformation, features and potential issues there are with the figure. i can see what it looks like, so to waffle on about how vibrant the red is, well... Everything else is just subjective wankery.

Video reviews definitely have their merits. Before I drop $100+on a toy I think the least I can do is sit through a 10-15 minute review to see if I think it's worth it. Peaugh for example has saved me quite a bit of money on toys I would of otherwise bought.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    Video reviews are the worst. I want to know quickly what the reviewer thinks of a toy, not have to sit through ten minutes of reviewers doing all their gimmicks that have nothing to do with the toy or listen to half-hearted, unprofessional reviews. Videos dictate how long I have to spend doing something, whereas I can read at my own pace; I just want the info, not the crap.
    I feel the same. For any type of video really, any of those "interesting link" things on Facebook that end up being videos get closed pretty quickly.

I prefer text and pictorial reviews, usually multiple, as I may not always agree with one particular reviewer on something, and having to view 4-5 videos of the same thing can easily eat up a big chunk of time. I simply prefer discussion.

Having said that, video reviews do have their purpose, there are something that you can show in a few seconds on video, that would require 3-4 photos and a paragraph of text, plus the hope that the person reading gets what you're trying to say... Maybe have a dedicated forum/thread for video reviews if they become a little too plentiful?

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Video reviews definitely have their merits. Before I drop $100+on a toy I think the least I can do is sit through a 10-15 minute review to see if I think it's worth it. Peaugh for example has saved me quite a bit of money on toys I would of otherwise bought.
    I get what you're saying, and for the big purchases, like 3P or Metroplex for example, I will watch a few video reviews. Yes, a few, because judging something based on one person's opinion (especially one who's often reviewing pre-release samples that don't always accurately reflect the actual released version) can leave you without the full picture, or one that's biased - sometimes what one person feels is a negative/positive may not reflect your own views.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Video Reviews have their merits... and I know that a lot of people do like them.
    We just need to cater to both groups of people here, and encourage interaction, by having something written on this site for other members to post a reply about.
    So... what about members who exclusively post links to their video reviews here and don't interact in any other way? Or threads that are entirely dedicated to promoting their video reviews and nothing else?

I think it should be enough just for people to post a link to their video channel on their signature and leave it at that. They can update their signatures to tell people what the latest reviews are. If other people really want to check out their reviews, then they'll follow the link. Seeing members who interact in no other way here other than to promote each individual video review kinda feels spammy to me. <shrugs>

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    So... what about members who exclusively post links to their video reviews here and don't interact in any other way? Or threads that are entirely dedicated to promoting their video reviews and nothing else?

I think it should be enough just for people to post a link to their video channel on their signature and leave it at that. They can update their signatures to tell people what the latest reviews are. If other people really want to check out their reviews, then they'll follow the link. Seeing members who interact in no other way here other than to promote each individual video review kinda feels spammy to me. <shrugs>
    Do you consider Maz's threads spamming? I see no problem with someone who posts in their own thread. It's the cross posting in other threads that annoys me.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I used to love watching video reviews, but I'm finding myself with less time and interest in doing so. Reading even some brief thoughts is fine, as are some good pictures.

I was getting a little sick of going into review threads expecting new posts, and finding nothing but links. (No offence to any reviewers)
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Do you consider Maz's threads spamming?
    The own review threads were made for this kind of thing. When he originally joined, Maz started off with a new thread for each of his posts which is why we suggested he do his own review/article thread. At the time, many of them were third party related articles as well and not all of them were reviews either. It's a tough balance sometimes

I think Gok is referring to when you see a new post in a toy review thread, and go to see what it is only to find out there is a link to youtube. Its not very conducive to generating chat, as any comments are best set for being placed on youtube, as if you do comment on the video in the review thread, only those who have watched the video will know to what you are referring.

If there is a comment or two that summarises the video, then a discussion can commence on this board without having to go to youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    I used to love watching video reviews, but I'm finding myself with less time and interest in doing so. Reading even some brief thoughts is fine, as are some good pictures.

I was getting a little sick of going into review threads expecting new posts, and finding nothing but links. (No offence to any reviewers)
    ^this

The only time I watch a TF YouTube review is if I'm stuck mid transformation and it feels like I'm gonna break the toy if I continue. In cases like that I find watching someone else do it quite helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I think Gok is referring to when you see a new post in a toy review thread, and go to see what it is only to find out there is a link to youtube. Its not very conducive to generating chat, as any comments are best set for being placed on youtube, as if you do comment on the video in the review thread, only those who have watched the video will know to what you are referring.

If there is a comment or two that summarises the video, then a discussion can commence on this board without having to go to youtube.
    This is pretty much it.

own review threads like Tets' and Maz', you know what to expect when you click on the thread and they are both generally interesting to read/compare against my own thoughts.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)