• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if (something else)

1 11.11%
  • No

3 33.33%
  • Not even interested

2 22.22%

Thread: Toy Review - Age of Extinction Lockdown (One Step Changer)

Default Toy Review - Age of Extinction Lockdown (One Step Changer)

LOCKDOWN
    Series - Transformers
    Sub-line – Age of Extinction
    Size/class - One Step Changer
    New/remould/redeco – New
    Wave – 2, 2014
    Released here - June 2014
    Approximate Retail Price - $20
    Approximate Size – 11cm to top of head, 12cm including back kibble
    Allegiance -Decepticon
    Alternate mode – Lamborghini Aventador
    Main Features/Gimmicks – One Step Change!
    Main Colours – brown, silver, grey
    Main Accessories – you kidding me?

Images
    On card
    Robot mode
    Vehicle mode
    Undoctored close up of robot
    Undoctored photo of vehicle mode

The vehicle mode is a fairly cheap looking Lamborghini Aventador. The front windscreen and part of the front windows (which connect to the wing mirrors) are solid plastic painted silver. The rest of the side windows are open, revealing the robot innards. The rear slatted window is painted blue. The wheels are completely black (no painted hubcaps), which isn't at all surprising considering that Hasbro aren't even painting the hubcaps on Voyagers (). The overall design of the car is okay for what it is. Due to the nature of the gimmick, the panels don't sit completely flush in some areas, most notably along the centre of the rear window, and the shape of the rear of the vehicle is caved in, giving the appearance that someone has just rear-ended a $795,000 car! The rest of the vehicle is brown with a purple Decepticon insignia on the bonnet.

"You'd better have insurance!"

The transformation is, as one would expect, entirely dominated by the One Step Change gimmick which works by pressing a panel on the windscreen. The gimmick is super sensitive. When I opened the toy and cut the plastic tie, the toy immediately sprang into robot mode. That tie seemed to be the only thing holding it in vehicle mode inside the blister pack! So transforming this toy from vehicle to robot mode is easy enough, but transforming it back to vehicle mode can be incredibly fiddly (and relatively time consuming, thus pretty much defeating the purpose of being a one-step changer! ) as you frustratingly attempt to get this sucker to stay in vehicle mode! It's doable, but it's not nearly as straightforwardly simple as it should be! I find that squeezing the front part of the vehicle really really hard helps... most of the time.

The robot mode is mostly a fairly good translation of the screen model, but of course, this is helped by the fact that it's a complete shellformer. The head is sculpted with Lockdown's visor down. The arms, legs and back all carry big vehicle panel kibble, as one would expect. This toy has a whopping TWO points of articulation (the arms can move forward at 45 degrees... oooh! ).

Overall
    Even at Big W's toy sale, I've paid the price of a Basic Class figure ($15) for what feels like a Happy Meal toy. I know that this toy is aimed at younger kids, but a child would be even more frustrated trying to get this toy to stay in robot mode (my 5-year-old got bored watching me try the first time )... I don't see this toy eliciting long term sustained interest from even a small child; they'd likely get sick of it after a couple of hours (or even minutes). My daughter took no interest in this toy, opting to play with Voyager Hound instead. Not recommended.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 1st July 2014 at 11:28 PM.

It is brown, not gun-metal grey and the arms do bend out wards. I paid $15 for this and feel ripped off. Only got it because it's an Aventador.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    It is brown, not gun-metal grey and the arms do bend out wards.
    So amended.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    I paid $15 for this and feel ripped off. Only got it because it's an Aventador.
    I got it because I really want a AoE Lockdown and there's nothing else out there atm. A pretty sad reason, I know. When I get Deluxe Lockdown, this toy's going to become one of Lockdown's minions in the Gokiverse.

I bought Hound and Lockdown together, and was disappointed with the lack of articulation on Lockdown. Hound by comparison can lift both his arms, and is much better designed.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    and is much better designed.
    It's not hard to be better designed than One Step Changer Lockdown. Stinger is the only other One Step Changer that I intend to get (and even then, only on sale) ... purely because of army building.