Thread: (JAN-2013) Hasbro Gen1 Cartoon - Comments and episode reviews

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default (JAN-2013) Hasbro Gen1 Cartoon - Comments and episode reviews

Remember much about the cartoon?
    If so, what did you think of it?

When did you first see it?

Is it recommended viewing for others?

If you haven't watched it yet, or in a while, now is the time to re-watch it and review it as you go.

(The 1986 Movie can be included here as well)

Love the cartoon, i grew up on it.
    I know a lot will say it was an animated sales catalogue but my fond memories and even rewatching it these days brings a lot of enjoyment.

I always used to get up early in the 80's to watch it everytime it was on and i would recommend to any newer fans who havent seen it

I know i will be raising my little ones on this cartoon

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

If you haven't watched it yet, or in a while, now is the time to re-watch it and review it as you go.

(The 1986 Movie can be included here as well)
    I missed out on G1 and Transformers in general when it was first aired. I began watching it in about 2007 on DVD.

I think the G1 cartoon is very funny. The way that the characters act on the show, some of the (bad) storylines, and the way that they have the "good" Autobots and "evil" Decepticons so clearly marked out where the Autobots always win in the end, well, yeah, I've just got to find it funny. Of course, it was G1 that set the standard for the general theme of Transformers (as well as many of the characters) used in all subsequent shows and movies of the franchise.

Despite all its flaws however, the cartoon is still highly enjoyable to watch. It's the original, "grass roots" continuity of Transformers that helped kick off the huge, long-running and ever changing franchise that it is today.

Recommended viewing? For already established newer fans, yes. For potential fans that know nothing about Transformers but want to give it a go? No. I'd recommend that they watch Tf: Prime first (or the live action movies since they would have already seen or heard of them). Then when they watch G1, they'll hopefully have a much better understanding and appreciation of what started it all.

Oh, by the way, I (Is hate too strong a word? Probably.) really dislike the events of the 1986 movie. Seriously, Galvatron? Yuck. So seasons 3 & 4 are ruined for me. Bring back Megatron, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I missed out on G1 and Transformers in general when it was first aired. I began watching it in about 2007 on DVD.

I think the G1 cartoon is very funny. The way that the characters act on the show, some of the (bad) storylines, and the way that they have the "good" Autobots and "evil" Decepticons so clearly marked out where the Autobots always win in the end, well, yeah, I've just got to find it funny. Of course, it was G1 that set the standard for the general theme of Transformers (as well as many of the characters) used in all subsequent shows and movies of the franchise.

Despite all its flaws however, the cartoon is still highly enjoyable to watch. It's the original, "grass roots" continuity of Transformers that helped kick off the huge, long-running and ever changing franchise that it is today.

Recommended viewing? For already established newer fans, yes. For potential fans that know nothing about Transformers but want to give it a go? No. I'd recommend that they watch Tf: Prime first (or the live action movies since they would have already seen or heard of them). Then when they watch G1, they'll hopefully have a much better understanding and appreciation of what started it all.

Oh, by the way, I (Is hate too strong a word? Probably.) really dislike the events of the 1986 movie. Seriously, Galvatron? Yuck. So seasons 3 & 4 are ruined for me. Bring back Megatron, please.
    You would have been so boss watching web world as a kid. I thought that he was becoming Megatron again.

If you set aside your love for Megatron, which is understandable (who doesn't love guns and robots?!), you may be able to see that Galvatron is really his own character and the only thing relating him to Megatron in any way is his origin, which doesn't change much, as he is practically completely different /unique in terms of mind.
    I would treat Galvatron as a different character, if you wanted to appreciate him more.

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    For me, I definitely remember Web World, as it has left some kind of imprinted thought that Galvatron would become Megatron again when he turned white/grey.
    Where he would finally wake up from a really long and horrible nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    You would have been so boss watching web world as a kid. I thought that he was becoming Megatron again.

If you set aside your love for Megatron, which is understandable (who doesn't love guns and robots?!), you may be able to see that Galvatron is really his own character and the only thing relating him to Megatron in any way is his origin, which doesn't change much, as he is practically completely different /unique in terms of mind.
    I would treat Galvatron as a different character, if you wanted to appreciate him more.
    But I don't know how to put aside my love for Megatron... I haven't seen Seasons 3 or 4 of G1 yet. They're next on my 'to watch' list. I'm not really looking forward to them, but I agree with what you said; Galvatron should be treated as a totally separate character (gladly in some official continuities he actually is!), that way it will make those seasons more bearable for me to watch.

Btw, Cybertron was the first Transformers series I ever watched, and Cybertron Megatron was the first Megatron I ever knew about. I would wake up really early every Saturday morning (I think it was) just to watch that show.

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    But I don't know how to put aside my love for Megatron... I haven't seen Seasons 3 or 4 of G1 yet. They're next on my 'to watch' list. I'm not really looking forward to them, but I agree with what you said; Galvatron should be treated as a totally separate character (gladly in some official continuities he actually is!), that way it will make those seasons more bearable for me to watch.
    I read something a while back which seemed to me to be a very wise way of dealing with this sort of problem. Essentially, treat all the different incarnations and stories as legends or myths, passed on over thousands of years and embellished and altered along the way.

It was originally in reference to Star Wars which arguably suffers more than other media properties due to their drive for a single canon continuity with the unfortunate side effect of rendering some very good stories apocryphal.

In any case, I think it's a good way to enjoy each story on its own terms, explain away inconsistencies between different series (or within them!) and gives you license to 'pick and choose' your own personal continuity.

The G1 cartoon, for all its flaws, is the iconic Transformers media for me. I used to watch the G2 incarnation (G1 butchered with a CG intro and new transitions) whenever I could and loved it. I recently picked up the new remastered DVD sets and I'm working my way through them.

As others have said, the stories are quite simplistic and sometimes don't make a lot of sense. I'd definitely recommend viewing at least a selection of episodes though as the cartoon was the origin of the voice of Optimus Prime and, along with the comic series, set the scene for everything that followed.

One thing that really bothers me though: Why did Megatron call a retreat every time one of the Decepticons stubbed their toe? If they pushed the attack they could wipe out the Autobots with minimal losses.

Episodes that I can remember from way back include:
    More Than Meets the Eye 1-3
    Dinobot Island 1-2
    Prime Target
    Starscream's Brigade + Revenge of Bruticus
    BOT

Most of those are probably pretty iconic, except Prime Target. Not really sure why that one stuck with me.

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Iriorne View Post
    I read something a while back which seemed to me to be a very wise way of dealing with this sort of problem. Essentially, treat all the different incarnations and stories as legends or myths, passed on over thousands of years and embellished and altered along the way.

It was originally in reference to Star Wars which arguably suffers more than other media properties due to their drive for a single canon continuity with the unfortunate side effect of rendering some very good stories apocryphal.

In any case, I think it's a good way to enjoy each story on its own terms, explain away inconsistencies between different series (or within them!) and gives you license to 'pick and choose' your own personal continuity.
    Actually that's a really good way to look at it because it keeps the option open that something may or may not be true, as with myths, rather than say that something is absolute fact and I have no other choice but to acknowledge it a certain way. Very helpful, thanks. I also tend to 'pick and choose' my own ultimate continuity already anyway.

The G1 cartoon, for all its flaws, is the iconic Transformers media for me. I used to watch the G2 incarnation (G1 butchered with a CG intro and new transitions) whenever I could and loved it. I recently picked up the new remastered DVD sets and I'm working my way through them.
    I have the earlier G1 DVD boxed sets, when they first came out. What's different in the remastered ones and do you think they are worth getting, even when I already have the non-remastered ones?

One thing that really bothers me though: Why did Megatron call a retreat every time one of the Decepticons stubbed their toe? If they pushed the attack they could wipe out the Autobots with minimal losses.
    I'm not sure but I always got the impression that destroying all the Autobots wasn't a primary goal of his, at least not initially. To begin with, all he wanted was to steal all of Earth's energy so he could get the f*** off this planet and go home. It wasn't until later, when the Autobots just kept showing up and getting in his way EVERY SINGLE TIME he set out to do something, that he finally got fed up with them, lol. I dunno, but I'm kind of glad he backed off a lot of the time... maybe he wasn't such a bad guy after all?

Box Set DVD's sitting proudly on my shelf, know every episode by heart!

Loved it! Adored it! The be-all and end-all of cartoons!

When the very first episode of it aired on Saturday morning cartoons here in Australia. Was (and still am) a cartoon nut and it totally blew me away. After watching He-Man and Inspector Gadget for years, he was something even better! Was an addict by the end of the opening credits.

Heh - when all the lads come round for a few beers, at a certain point of the evening the sport goes off and the TF DVD's come out. At work, at the end of each term when we have a relaxed day or two my class always has to watch the 86 movie. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I love it and continue to watch it everyday... or rather every night before I go to sleep

I remember seeing the very first episode screening on Saturday morning and was so excited by it, that I recorded half the episode to BETA to re-watch over and over. I didn't manage to see the movie at the cinemas (my parents never took me) however to this day, my Xmas tradition is to watch TF:TM which I have done every year since 1988.

Would I recommend the series to someone who hasn't seen it before; probably not. By today's standards it's seriously dated.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

its the best.

i would recommend it only to mecha lovers.