Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney ditches Mattel for Hasbro.

Default Disney ditches Mattel for Hasbro.

Massive win for Hasbro money wise but I think it's a bad thing for TFs as they will get even less focus now with Hasbro having to produce SW, Marvel and bloody princess toys

That's pretty cool. Could open up for possible crossovers. Now if only Hasbro could partner with Lego to make Lego versions of Hasbro's stuff, you'd have a triangle of major players. It's very unlikely, due to Kreo, but it would open up doors. Lego don't make Lego Star Wars and Marvel minifigures available by themselves because Hasbro has dibs on the action figures for SW and Marvel. If they also had some sort of partnership, we could see Star Wars and Marvel minifigs available by themselves. That would be a cool triangle.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream77 View Post
    Massive win for Hasbro money wise but I think it's a bad thing for TFs as they will get even less focus now with Hasbro having to produce SW, Marvel and bloody princess toys
    Not necessarily, it could mean the opposite as well.

Other is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream77 View Post
    Why? It's not like the people who work on TFs also work on those other properties as well. Large companies have separate divisions and teams for different brands and licenses. Even when you mash Brands together for lines like the Marvel or Star Wars Transformers it's not like it stopped the TF team from doing their own thing if they even worked on it(IIRC they didn't).

I think it's a good thing for transformers if Hasbro is making more money. Disney Princess seems to be crazy popular with little girls. Plus, it appears that they are right now looking to hire more people for girls properties.

I feel bad for the doll collectors though, since when have Hasbro made any good dolls?
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

Maybe we can get a Hasbro reissue of the Mickey Mouse/Optimus Prime toy from a couple of years ago. I'd like one, but not at the current going rate.

Not sure if it'll be a good thing for collectors of Disney princess toys either. I stopped collecting Marvel action figures after they switched from Toy Biz to Hasbro.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Not sure if it'll be a good thing for collectors of Disney princess toys either. I stopped collecting Marvel action figures after they switched from Toy Biz to Hasbro.
    Disney may kick Hasbro really hard in the bum if they start making bad quality toys though.

And now the dirt starts to surface...

MGA Entertainment (the maker of Bratz dolls, and still fighting Mattel in the courts) has started legal action against Hasbro for stealing confidential information to help them gain the dolls contract with Disney.
    It sounds like MGA and Mattel would have been front-runners due to their existing experience with girls doll toys, but somehow Hasbro came out in front as the desired choice to produce Disney dolls... and it is claimed by MGA that that was only possible because Hasbro acquired and used MGA's records and information (they mention finances, which would give Hasbro an idea of MGA's actual production costs on their existing doll toylines, and then offer a better bid).

If this ends up being true, I feel bad for MGA Entertainment for being targeted by the two leading toy companies to prevent them from becoming actual competition (anti-competitive behaviour which is illegal in Australia). Also, if it is true, I'm a bit surprised that Hasbro would be so underhanded, since they go on about how they have better ethical standards to Mattel when it comes to producing the toys (if you thought the leaked Hasbro factory photos were bad, apparently Mattel are worse).