Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hasbro's Ethical position: Choice magazine

Default Hasbro's Ethical position: Choice magazine

I subscribe to Choice magazine and they did an article in the July 2008 edition regarding the ethical manufacture of toys. I have permission by Choice to post this article, which is copyright Choice. I thank them for letting me do so.

Hasbro features in the article.

MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

As if big companies like Hasbro could give a sh#t if they're paying their chinese factory workers peanuts while expecting them to keep pumping out toys around the clock...

I think Choice is to some extent barking up the wrong tree by applying the same standards to retailers & manufacturers - while (say) Hasbro has a great deal of control over manufacturing methods, (say) Target buys the toys from the manufacturer - a better measure of Target's performance would be its employment practices. It's not in a position to know what standards/conditions are like in the country of manufacture, compared to the manufacturer.

On a related note, with many of the manufacturers, the policies would be set by the overseas head offices (as they mentioned with TY), and in many cases their Australian presence would be little more than a supporting branch office.

Having said that, it's pleasing to see that Hasbro do take the matter seriously - even if they're not perfect. It's interesting (and saddening) to see that Mattel failed to respond, despite all the negative PR they received from their lead paint fiasco. Clearly Hasbro take this sort of thing far more seriously than Mattel do.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

We criticize Hasbro a lot, but I think this is a step in the right direction for them.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

A very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Every time I unwrap a twist tie I think about the workers who wrapped it and it's good to learn a bit more about Hasbro's factories.

I'm also pleased to see that Hasbro's rating reasonably well there. Btw, I know that at least in Japan Thomas & Friends are manufactured by TakaraTOMY so I imagine that these toys would follow similar standards as Hasbro. I don't know of RC2's Thomas figures are also manufactured by Tomy or not.

Lego is pretty good, as expected...

I looked at some Thomas the Tank Engine toys today and I noticed that there it was a mixed bag... maybe about 70% of them had RC2 on the package whereas 30% featured Tomy's logo.

AS/NZS ISO 8421.1:2002, gotta look that up at work tomorrow :P

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    A very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Every time I unwrap a twist tie I think about the workers who wrapped it and it's good to learn a bit more about Hasbro's factories.
    I just cut the wires Paulbot, it makes it easier Hmmm makes you think now why we get all the defects in QC of Animated toys ... 80 hrs/week labor, sheesh and someone gets fined for being too much in the loo appalling work conditions.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]