Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW: Skeleton Warriors "Glyos Compatible" Action Figures - Kickstarter

Default NEW: Skeleton Warriors "Glyos Compatible" Action Figures - Kickstarter

Guys - Guys - Guys!

With HUGE thanks to Sharky for bringing this to my attention via Twitter; There is a chance for a brand new line of Skeleton Warriors figures to exist! and I hope that this post might help garner it some additional support, as well as the word being spread at the very least.

PLEASE go here to the Kickstarter Page for all the information about this new line's release; At the very least, even if you're not interested in it, could anyone reading this please spread the word via any Social Media platform you've access to! - Just use this link for Facebook, this link for Twitter and this link to embed it on your website.

History Lesson:

Back in the mid-90s there was a superbly wicked concept for a product line by Gary Goddard (Also known for directing the '87 He-Man film & the Captain Power franchise ); Skeleton Warriors was aimed to be the 90's "He-Man" franchise and whilst it ultimately never met that lofty goal, it did go on to produce an award winning cartoon & toyline, as well as a highly successful line of trading cards (Of which I've the entire set ).

Here's Wikipedia's summary of the franchise's plot:
    The story takes place on the distant planet of Luminaire. The conflict of the plot revolves around the need to control the Lightstar Crystal. This powerful crystal powers the great city of Luminicity. Baron Dark, the show's main villain, tried to steal the crystal in order to gain control over its incredible power. He only succeeded in obtaining half of the crystal, with the other half being obtained by Prince Lightstar.

The half of the crystal that the Baron Dark managed to obtain turns him into a living skeleton. It also gives him the power to turn those with evil hearts into living skeletons for his army. Each episode involves Prince Lightstar, his siblings and Baron Dark attempting to obtain the other half of their respective crystals in order to gain control over the planet.

Prince Lightstar forms part of the "Legion of Light." It consists of Justin Lightstar a.k.a. Prince Lightstar, Joshua Lightstar a.k.a. Grimskull, and Jennifer Steele a.k.a. Talyn. They also have been endowed with great powers through their half of the Crystal. They team together with their uncle Ursak (a.k.a. Guardian) to battle the evil Baron Dark. While Baron Dark is transformed into an undead skeleton and given the ability to transform other living beings into his Skeleton Warriors, the Legion of Light gains other fantastic abilities: Lightstar gains the ability to channel energy through his hands, Talyn gains the power of flight, and Grimskull is transformed into an undead creature similar to the Baron, but also has the power to travel through shadows.

The toyline, whilst award winning in its day, was highly detailed but severely hampered by Playmates penchant for pre-posing their sculpts before adding articulation; it was teased that there'd be a 2nd wave of figures, including a glorious & huge Bone-Dragon and Talyn, but alas the line was cancelled before they and others could see production.

The Future:

This new line seeks to revive this great toyline and by bettering the figures in the process.

George Gaspar (October Toys), with Official licensing by Goddard Film Group LLC and working with Matt Doughty of Onell Design (Glyos fame), will be producing these new figures based upon a combination of the oldschool toys, original concepts by Gary Goddard and employing the Glyos-style joint system.

The 1st of these figures, Baron Dark himself!, is aimed to have:
    • 5" fully painted PVC action figure
    • 17 modular official Glyos compatible pieces
    • 26 points of articulation
    • Removable sword, cape, loin cloth, and arm guards (for a total of 21 pieces)
    • Packaged in full colour collectors window box

These figures are designed to be a 3 3/4" scale line of articulated PVC action figures. Baron Dark is the biggest of the main cast of characters and clocks in at 5" tall - Future figures will remain in scale; so for instance, Prince Lightstar will be 3 3/4" tall.

Baron Dark is ready to go into production as the first figure of this updated Skeleton Warriors line and with the help of fellow Toy collectors, it has a chance to live a-new and better than before! - So if you're a fan of the show or things like "Masters of The Universe" and the like, then I once again implore you...

PLEASE go here to the Kickstarter Page for all the information about this new line's release; At the very least, even if you're not interested in it, could anyone reading this please spread the word via any Social Media platform you've access to! - Just use this link for Facebook, this link for Twitter and this link to embed it on your website.

Thanks for sharing, very interesting concept, and first time I've heard of these toys and the cartoon.

They could be quite different to MOTU, but it almost feels a bit like:

Baron Dark = Skeletor
    Lightstar = Adam / He-Man
    Talyn = Teela
    Ursak = Duncan / Man-At-Arms

I reckon Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, and Baron Dark should be known as the Trinity of Evil Boneheads (well, except Mumm-Ra does have flesh over his skull).

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Thanks for sharing, very interesting concept, and first time I've heard of these toys and the cartoon.
    Really? - Well, cheers Sam for taking an interest, I hope it's been enough for you to perhaps consider backing the project? () or at least pass it along to someone you know who may be curious and into this sort of thing.

They could be quite different to MOTU, but it almost feels a bit like:

Baron Dark = Skeletor
    Lightstar = Adam / He-Man
    Talyn = Teela
    Ursak = Duncan / Man-At-Arms
    Yeah, you can clearly see the similarities can't you? - Alas, it may of actually hit that cult-level status of MOTU had it not of been for the delay in the Cartoon's production, to the point of debuting and directly competing with this other little show.

But yeah, the archetypes are definitely present but the spark, I feel, was Grimskull as he was a character that had to walk down that line between "Good" & "Bad"; being constantly teased and tormented by the power of Baron Dark, but persistently reminded of his place as a member of the Steele family (The Legion of Light) & thus his duties as a young Prince to his people of Luminaire - all the whilst baring the physical & emotional scars of that moment of weakness in which he betrayed his family & his people but more importantly, himself.

The narrative potential for his character was great but sadly the 2nd Season of the cartoon, which was to explore this in greater detail, was never permitted to take place...

A combination of production mis-management on the cartoon, causing major delays in getting it to air and product mis-handling on the part of Playmates with the toyline (They waited REALLY late in the piece to release the "Good Guy" figures - apparently within months of the line's cancellation!), all conspired against a product and franchise that literally had everything going for it.

I reckon Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, and Baron Dark should be known as the Trinity of Evil Boneheads (well, except Mumm-Ra does have flesh over his skull).
    That would be one Trio that'd definitely be considered: "Bad To The Bone!".
    (Tried to find an advert with that tagline on it, as it was the marketing slogan used for the franchise, but was unsuccessful )

Just backed! Love skeleton warriors ever since watching Jason and the Argonauts and playing Golden Axe, they will join my revoltech army!

Quote Originally Posted by twincobra View Post
    Just backed! Love skeleton warriors ever since watching Jason and the Argonauts and playing Golden Axe, they will join my revoltech army!
    Awesome! - Excellent to hear man; I too love Jason and The Argonauts as those classic "Stop/Go" animation movies were brilliant and that was probably my earliest exposure to "Skeleton" warriors, next to Skeletor and the Deadites of Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness.

I reckon Baron Dark will look awesome fronting a legion of Revoltech Skeleton Warriors, you'll have to share some pics down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I reckon Baron Dark will look awesome fronting a legion of Revoltech Skeleton Warriors, you'll have to share some pics down the line.
    Will do,I'm really hoping for that
    $70k stretch goal, I need those warriors.

oh man, i loved this show. I hope they can get to make Lightstar Grimskull and Talyn. The only thing i wish these guys were MOTUC Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by twincobra View Post
    Will do,I'm really hoping for that
    $70k stretch goal, I need those warriors.
    Definitely, just gotta hope that word spreads far enough and enough people back & support the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    oh man, i loved this show. I hope they can get to make Lightstar Grimskull and Talyn. The only thing i wish these guys were MOTUC Scale.
    That scale would've been awesome, but the fact anything is happening at all is a minor miracle, IMO.

The Kickstarter page has had a couple of Updates and Moderately Geeky.com has a Podcast interview with George & Ayleen Gaspar of October Toys, discussing various point about the campaign to bring back this awesome toyline.

As well as that, Pixel Dan has been given an opportunity to show off the Baron Dark prototype - Highlighting many points about the figure's mold, painted details and articulation along with a great comparison with the original toy.
    (Thanks yet again to Sharky for giving me the heads-up on this)

Remember guys; if you're even the slightest bit curious of this project or know anyone who might be? - Please visit the Kickstarter page and consider making a pledge - At the very least please help by spreading the word via Facebook, Twitter or via your own Blog or Website.

Thank you.

Only 5 Days left to back this project guys!

The current total (11:42pm AEDST) is sitting at $30,784USD, just $14,216USD shy of the required $45,000USD - So Your Help Is Needed!

There have been a couple of further updates at the Kickstarter page since I last posted here; A couple of "Backer Only" updates that I think fans of the franchise would definitely want to see (So Make A Pledge! ), but also a couple of updates showing off pics of the incentive figures :

1st up is the "Titan Skeleton"; standing at the same 5inch height as Baron Dark, he comes in both Glow in The Dark & Plain variants -

Next up is a collaborative effort by George Gaspar & Matt Doherty, of Onell Design; named the "Traveler Skeleden", this newest adition to the Glyos Universe is part Pheyden & part Skeleton! -

Along with those, George & Ayleen have provided a breakdown of the available Addons one can tack-onto their pledge; shown is both the addon & the amount required to be added to one's backing:

Also, both George & Ayleen have participated in another Podcast Interview, this time with the lads at The Old Oil House; in this episode of "Behind The Toys", discussion ranges from all things toys and the industry, to how George & Ayleen got into making toys and a lot of detail regarding the Skeleton Warriors and the present Kickstarter revival - So please do check that out here.

So Don't Forget; there's only 5 days to go and if you're slightly curious of this project or know anyone who might be? - Please visit the Kickstarter page and Back this project! - At the very least please help by spreading the word via Facebook, Twitter or via your own Blog or Website.

I'll leave you all with this great shot from George's Instagram where he took an action-shot of the Baron Dark prototype facing off against Leonardo from the latest TMNT toyline!
    ...along with a superb comparison between the old Playmates Baron Dark figure from the 90s & NEW take on the "Bad To The Bone" character!

Last edited by Hursticon; 20th June 2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Updating of "Addons" Listing.

4 Days To Go and we're currently at $31,516USD guys - Good stuff but Your Help is Still Needed!

Yesterday another update was posted by George & Ayleen; they very kindly provided 2 new videos full of Behind The Scenes info!

The 1st is a celebration of the 20th Anniversary of Skeleton Warriors by The Goddard Film Group (Owners of the Skeleton Warriors Franchise/License), in which a which they highlight what OctoberToys is seeking to achieve with this Kickstarter and also shows off a whole host of original production material that was produced back in the early 90s that still survives AND in great condition to this day! - The Skeleton Dragon is Featured People!

(Courtesy of George Gaspar's Instagram )

This is followed up by a video with George & Ayleen being joined in discussion about the Kickstarter & Skeleton Warriors History by Julia Lewald; a Story Editor & Writer on the Original Skeleton Warriors Cartoon series , who's other credits include but are not limited to:
    • Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers
    • Talespin
    • Darkwing Duck
    • Goof-Troop
    • X-Men: The Animated Series
    • Gargoyles
    • CatDog
    • Men in Black: The Series

Just to name a few!

So check those videos out and as before guys; Get in quick! as there's just 4 days left to get in on resurrecting the dead... toyline!

Please visit the Kickstarter page and Back this project!
    At the very least please help by spreading the word via Facebook, Twitter or via your own Blog or Website.