Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drones

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Drones

Does anyone here have any experience with the new selfie/4k drones that are out now or soon to be released?

I remember some people pent ridiculous amounts of money on remote control cars, and then model planes yet these seem like a magnitude higher again. Not sure what I would do with one other than a flying camera but they do look cool

Teal drone
    Dji mavic pro

Thoughts

Both the mavic and karma look really cool and have piqued my interest... But either way, they are big investments. Then again, look what we spend on bots

Just out of curiosity, what would you use your drone for? You cant fly them over residendial areas without complaints, nature photography.
    It would be cool to have one. But what would you do with it

Bought a drone: kingkong tiny6
    Its small (fits in your hand)
    Its a proper rc drone, not a 'kids toy' drone
    Got drone+batteries and charger, +goggles and radio controller taranis qx7

Havent flown for a while

Still a total nube at droning

Anyone else fly drones here

I’ve got a Tello. It’s a cool little drone that is a good intro to the hobby. We’ve got a Mavic Air at work that I use occasionally. I am thinking about buying one for myself because they are awesome. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a 15%+ sale on eBay but no luck yet and DJI are apparently announcing the Mavic Pro 2 on Friday so I’ll wait and see what that’s like. If it’s worth it, I’ll pick up one of those. Otherwise, the Mavic Pro 1 and Air prices should drop significantly so I’ll get a bargain that way.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

This talk about drones has had me looking into them. I figured that the Tello looks like a good start, especially since in Japan you have to go far country to use them outside.

So the Teloo looks well suited for indoors messing about and for the wifey to use. They have a few places for training for more complex drones, so I was also going to zip off to one of them for a session. Eventually, I'd like a nice little zippy trick one. Some of the King Kongs looks fun!

DJI announced the Mavic 2 series the other day. Damn they look good. Looking at an extra $1K over an Air but I think the camera upgrade is worth it. I just don’t know if I could convinced wifey to let me spend that much!

And Tets, there’s a YouTube channel called UAV Futures that is into all sorts of drones, mainly racing ones. He does a few reviews of kits you can buy which have everything you need including the drone, controller, batteries and goggles for around (last time I checked) $330Aud delivered. They look pretty decent.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Hi all,

I have flown hubsan h501s as beginners and I have my Mavic Air for 5 months now.

Unless you are a serious photographer which I am and I have a Nikon dslr.

My two cents are buying the spark for cheaper budget or the Mavic Air is sufficient for air photography.

The Mavic 2 pro is excellent but is $2k and honestly I am not even flying as much as I really want to so I am only even out on what I have used it for so far.

Lots of areas are banned from flying if not by the air authorities is by local council.

Unless you don’t really care for the money go for Mavic 2 pro . I see too many beginners buy the top drones and send them crashing in first flight.

Please ask if in doubt don’t just wing it, despite heaps of flying I still am learning.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Please ask if in doubt don’t just wing it,
    I see what you did there

Just out of curiosity, are remote control aeroplanes under the same restrictions as drones?