Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: KOs of 1987 Japanese exclusive Headmaster Heads + more

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    The value of an original won't necessarily go down.
    Correct. In fact there is no supportive evidence whatsoever to suggest that KO's have any adverse effect on the price of original toys.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Correct. In fact there is no supportive evidence whatsoever to suggest that KO's have any adverse effect on the price of original toys.
    And until there is some evidence either way I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I can still see people getting caught like even with the obvious KO's (MIB Prime, Devestator Giftset) some still go for way to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Cruncher View Post
    And until there is some evidence either way I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Put it this way, if KO's did effect the cost of original G1 toys (in that they went cheaper) I would have bought them all by now

I can still see people getting caught like even with the obvious KO's (MIB Prime, Devestator Giftset) some still go for way to much.
    Agreed. However if they already have them, then there shouldn't be a problem.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Well say if you bought a transformer for $400 and for health reasons or whatever you need to sell it - would you mind if you got $300 because of KO's being freely available decreasing the amount of demand or $500+ which is its actual worth. You could advertise it as a buy now but with KO's vitually the same quality you could be advertising for a very long time.
    I actually HAVE had to sell part of my collection to pay for health treatment, and it really IS quite distressing. My experience has been though that you loose SO much trying to sell a MIB item that you purchased MISB..... or because Takara decides to reissue a toy that was really left of field and not expected, like Seacons, or Skylynxs.

*no*person in their right mind should seriously consider buying plastic toys that age and crack as "investments"

Comics, maybe, if you're talking gold or silver age, but any collectible that's only a few decades old? I mean we may pay a small fortune for a SDCC exclusive toy, but in our hearts we know its really NOT worth that amount for a toy.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

relliyd, sorry to hear about that.

Interesting discussion about whether KOs will affect the price of vintages. I think it depends on lots of factors, the basic ones being supply and demand.

Having KOs flood the market means an increased supply and if demand remains constant, would decrease the price of the toys. However, this must also be seen in light of how many people (from the existing demand pool) are willing to buy the KO substitute for the real thing. In terms of percentage, I think its not large (but I could be wrong, as I often am). Looking at it from the sellers' perspective, the supply for genuine toys may actually decrease because they are not willing to sell their wares for fear of it being mistaken for KOs and thus fetching a much lower price than its worth. Less supply, demand constant = price for vintages actually goes up! (did I say I've been known to be wrong). Certainly the evil-bay trend over the last 4 to 5 years have shown that vintages still register a strong demand with correspondingly high prices, despite the deluge of KOs and "reissues", both legit and not-legit.

In that regard, I think 5FDP seemed to touch on the right note. There may, however, be the odd auction here and there that goes for a very low amount or a very high amount, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

*apologies for double post, but talking about different stuff*

Back on topic.

Just checked out the seller's iOffer sales thread and he has as of today already sold about 40 sets (just based on the number of unique buyers). However, most buyers buy more than one set. Notably, some guy from Netherlands bought 6 sets each; some guy from Singapore bought 13 sets, all no doubt to scalp.

Over the course of today and yesterday, there have been a number of Australian buyers. They are from Ferntree Gully, Victoria, Glebe, Wiley Park and Sydney.

True to his word that he is doing it for the fandom, the seller has not marked up his selling price and has also kept his shipping constant and modest at US$25 to ship anywhere in the world, despite the craze in demand.

Na I think its fair, it will be mass produced no one is going to be naive enough to think a KO maker is going to produce a limited run!!! Give it some time and price will come way down. Look at the devastator KO giftset and others boxed KO's.

The guys that produce them will be laughing all the way to the bank, and the lucky ones who own originals will be very pi55ed.
    You could be right, but I guess only time will tell. However, I tend to agree with 5FDP. Some KOs and repros indeed do have a very limited run.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    There have been many KO's that have had limited production runs e.g. G1 minibots, G1 cassettes (+ clear versions), Reflector, so there is good reason to suspect that these will be limited as well.

KO makers have the same limitations that Hasbro / TakTom have such as mold degradation and production costs. Given that most KO makers operate on a smaller scale with limited funds, there is no such thing as an endless supply of toys.
    + 1

Regardless of how KOs may affect the cost of originals, it doesn't change the fact that they're just counterfeit imitations.

That Netherlands guy - gerrutcamaro is an ebay seller of TFs - I just recently bought from him - AM G1s. Hmmm guess if it shows up in his list I know Im not buying originals then..
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I can only imagine accurate KOs devaluing legit toys when they are very common and competitively priced. I don't think the KO Headmaster heads apply as they are not common nor competitively priced.

The reason why reissues devalue the vintage article is because they are competitively priced and easily available but as the reissue 'ages' and becomes less common, it eventually balances out with the legit article as the reissue begins to increase in price.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I can only imagine accurate KOs devaluing legit toys when they are very common and competitively priced. I don't think the KO Headmaster heads apply as they are not common nor competitively priced.
    They will when people no longer bid high amounts on genuine heads out of fear that they might be knockoffs.

If this was a legitimate reissue set it would be awesome, by the way.