Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: KOs of 1987 Japanese exclusive Headmaster Heads + more

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Ooh but there's plenty of good things you can do in the dark, kup hehehehe
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

HD, do you want to post up comparison pics with the original headmasters or shall i?

however, i can only post up grand max, fort max, black zarak and zarak for comparison as i dont own the other 6 exclusive jap headmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
    HD, do you want to post up comparison pics with the original headmasters or shall i?

however, i can only post up grand max, fort max, black zarak and zarak for comparison as i dont own the other 6 exclusive jap headmasters.
    hi sir,

Happy for you to post since I've packed up much of my stuff already and its not readily accessible. I don't own the 6 exclusive HMs too, but will get them when I next go to Japan (I know where to get at least 4 of the 6). I will post pics when I do have them on hand but might not be soon.

These are a great set and definitely value for money. its pretty hard to tell if its a KO just from picking one up, unless you have a few of the originals to compare against.

but for those that were interested to know how to tell the difference between fake vs real, here is a comparison (i.e. collecting using a microscope). I'll do my best to spot some for you and hopefully the larger pictures will allow others to pick up those that i have missed.
    KO versions are always on the far left of the pics, Legit figure(s) are on the right.
    (Click on thumbnails to view larger detailed pics)

Black Zarak:
    KO on the left has
    -dull gold plastic (not just camera or lighting effect)
    -poorly painted face
    -blue face instead of purple.
    -better mould-flash clean up job on the thighs (i.e. more cleaner)
    -Darker red headmaster eyes

Lord Zarak:
    KO on the far left has
    -poorer detail on face (e.g. no outlines to distinguish eyes, but could be due to too much paint?)
    -poorly painted headmaster eyes

Spike / Fortress Maximus
    KO on far left has
    -slightly darker blue plastic
    -matt finished plastic chest (the 3 originals on the right have a semi gloss plastic finish)
    -less prominent details on the chest
    -there are some differences in the right knee rivet joint
    -poorly painted headmaster eyes
    -less prominent details on the headmaster head

Gran / Grand Maximus
    KO on left has
    -slightly darker red plastic
    -square mouth detail (original does not have this)
    -matt finished plastic chest (the original on the right has a semi gloss plastic finish)
    -less prominent details on the chest

Thanks for the pics, Bruticus. They are very informative.

Naturally the biggest difference is with Dark Zarak as the gold plastic has different shades. That is understandable otherwise the KO would suffer from GPS too!

But the differences are so very subtle, specially in photos. Even an experienced collector would easily make a mistake on a loose figure.

I also got this set but I don't have any original (only Zarak) so thanks for the review Bruticus, also you got 3 Spike?!? awesome....I need oneeee....

Great comparison pics and write-up bruticus. I believe you are the first person to do this on any forum.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by hanprimus View Post
    I also got this set but I don't have any original (only Zarak) so thanks for the review Bruticus, also you got 3 Spike?!? awesome....I need oneeee....
    huh? why do you need an original spike when you already have the KO set?

i have a spare legit spike on its own and have been thinking about selling it, but when i think about it from a buyers perspective, why would anyone want to pay market price for a legit spike when the KO spike is a pretty good substitute and about 1/20th of the price?
    You are better off buying some other transformer with the huge savings that you would have made. just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Great comparison pics and write-up bruticus. I believe you are the first person to do this on any forum.
    Thanks buddy. However, i suspect that may be the case due to the fact that not everyone has an unbroken black zarak headmaster.
    Actually, to be honest, im quite relieved that nothing bad happened to my one whilst i was taking photos.

Great comparision work - also on the spike and grand max on their upper chest the 5 sided(oddly shaped) shape has a square top edge on the KO's. Its angled on the originals.

Hope that makes sense! Best photo to see it is in 2nd Grand Max comparision pic.

Yes you're right, I certainly won't pay $200 but as long as there's chance to replace the KO with a legit one (reasonable price ) why not...

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
    huh? why do you need an original spike when you already have the KO set?

i have a spare legit spike on its own and have been thinking about selling it, but when i think about it from a buyers perspective, why would anyone want to pay market price for a legit spike when the KO spike is a pretty good substitute and about 1/20th of the price?
    You are better off buying some other transformer with the huge savings that you would have made. just MHO.

Thanks buddy. However, i suspect that may be the case due to the fact that not everyone has an unbroken black zarak headmaster.
    Actually, to be honest, im quite relieved that nothing bad happened to my one whilst i was taking photos.