Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Board relocation failed! Now for plan B, or C, or something...

Anyway, I just wanted to pitch the idea of members helping to fund the board through private donations and maybe fundraising activities. I think it'd be useful to have some kind of incentive to encourage donations (e.g.: rewards, recognition etc).

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    I would be happy to donate, but I don't like the class divide.
    I wasn't thinking about creating a class divide, but if individuals are willing to contribute some of their own money into the upkeep of this board, then why not reward them with some token privilege(s)? It's not to say that contributing members are any better or worse than non-contributing members, but just to recognise those that choose to contribute. *shrug* Maybe we could just have "Member" and "Contributing Member" as ranks. That seems more matter-of-factly to me. *shrugs.again*

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    All of us after signing up to the board are already labelled as "member". Instead of playing with ranks, I suggest we can have a "donar thread" listing any new donation. But a donar can have his/her name hidden or unlisted if he/she wishes to.
    That's not a bad idea. The thread would definitely have to be a sticky.

My only concern with that, compared to the rank suggestion, is that it may not create as much awareness of the option of donate to new members. Unless a new member happens to look at that part of the board and read that thread, s/he may not actually take much notice of it and may not be quite so aware that such an option exists.

IMO the advantage of the 'rank' is that every time a contributing member posts, it will have the words "Contributing Member" under that user name, thus generating awareness of the contribution option. It is in effect advertising the option, but I think it's important to do that if we want to encourage new members to donate. I say encourage, not force or coerce, which I sense is the concern from some people who've criticised this suggestion (which is a fair enough concern too).

But I suppose we need to explore ways to advertise the option without making it seem 'elitist.'

Another idea is perhaps to have a banner on the board as an actual advert for donations. The banner could point to a web page on otca.com.au which informs users about how they can make a donation.

Anyway, I'm glad that everyone seems to be so supportive with the idea of making private donations to the board - it's really good to see. I would like to come up with some idea on how to advertise the option to promote awareness for current and future members.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    I would be happy to donate, but I don't like the class divide.
    I second this notion. I think with differentations in titles (aside from mod status) you are going to find some people with a superiority complex who will have a "I'm a paying member so I have more of a right than you do" mentality and who will inevitably talk down to newbies or non-paying members. I'll happily make a donation but I dont wanna be recognised for it. As long as I know I've contributed I'm happy enough as it is. I dont need other people to know I've contributed to feel good about myself.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    I second this notion. I think with differentations in titles (aside from mod status) you are going to find some people with a superiority complex who will have a "I'm a paying member so I have more of a right than you do" mentality and who will inevitably talk down to newbies or non-paying members. I'll happily make a donation but I dont wanna be recognised for it. As long as I know I've contributed I'm happy enough as it is. I dont need other people to know I've contributed to feel good about myself.
    +2. One don't need to be recongised for doing good deeds.
    By having titles, this will sub-divide the forum members such that now we are even called names for being members from different states... so keep the forum simply and help it to grow with donations is good enough

Given that we're not an overly large forum in terms of members, i've also got to agree that if you donate, you shouldn't expect anything in return except for a thank you.

We're not big enough to justify special titles for those who donate and those who don't. Because once you start, where does it end? Should the person who donates $50/month get a fancier title than someone who donates $5/month?

At the end of the day we're all collectors, we're all TF fans, even the Mods/Admins. None of us is superior to another (not even you dirge! ), we're here to enjoy and share our hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    As long as I know I've contributed I'm happy enough as it is. I dont need other people to know I've contributed to feel good about myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceburn View Post
    +2. One don't need to be recongised for doing good deeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    Given that we're not an overly large forum in terms of members, i've also got to agree that if you donate, you shouldn't expect anything in return except for a thank you.
    Agreed. At most a thank you would be enough but we shouldn't even need that. We haven't thanked the boss bot enough for what he's done for the fans over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by iceburn View Post
    By having titles, this will sub-divide the forum members such that now we are even called names for being members from different states... so keep the forum simply and help it to grow with donations is good enough
    A very good point.

At the TFNZ forum, I add a $2 tax onto each of my pre orders to help with the server costs. Granted its not going to work here, but maybe we apply a fee to sales?

Okay, so what about my other suggestion that doesn't involve recognition at all?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime
    Another idea is perhaps to have a banner on the board as an actual advert for donations. The banner could point to a web page on otca.com.au which informs users about how they can make a donation.

um dirge said he'd pay for my contribution

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Ha Ha Ha dirge, who's the mule now ay?

Well, if roller thinks I'm paying for him, then he's clearly a ...donkey.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister