View Poll Results: FOC Combaticons - worth buying?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • All yes

24 63.16%
  • Only some or one

3 7.89%
  • None are worth it

8 21.05%
  • Not even interested

3 7.89%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations FOC Combaticons wave

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    After reading and watching numerous reviews, I came to the conclusion that these guys are just not worth the money.
    I agree. Even getting them at $23 each I still feel ripped. I got these toys because I liked the characters from the game -- but they are pretty weak toys. If I found these toys loose and I didn't know any better, I'd swear they were KOs or those nasty Made-In-China transforming robot toys (they're not KOs, but they're really BADLY made - you know, the kind you find at Paddy's Markets). Maybe the combined Bruticus mode will compensate for the weakness of the individual figures... I don't know yet (I'll probably combine them tonight).

To avoid paying a huge amount for sub-standard toys, I have pre-ordered G2 Bruticus for $59US from www.bigbadtoystore.com - I think they still have some you can order, they are due in November. Even with postage they should figure cheaper than in the shops. I thought I might get Swindle, Brawl and Onslaught in their G1 colours anyway, but after reading these reviews I'm not sure I will.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

These aren't five toys.

It's Bruticus or nothing.

If you don't plan to have them together in Bruticus mode, you're going to be very disappointed.

I'm really dismayed, as I was really looking forward to displaying the Wreckers separately.

For the price of the G2 version, it's a passable toy.

Otherwise.... It's overpriced.

They're just not good toys as separate figures.

Brawl is passable, as is Blast-Off. That's it.

Vortex would be passable as a scout.

The other two....no. Just no.

Just saw then all in Kmart.

Bloody hell they're bright!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Swindle is bright. VERY VERY bright. The yellow is blinding
    I agree, the yellow is bright. I managed to move his shoulders further back, but there's nothing to lock them there. I only bought him to mod him as a pre BW Tarantulas. The head sculpt is excellent but really the only draw for this figure is the combiner feature.

Of the three I bought today (Blast-off, Swindle and Brawl) I only truly enjoyed one of them.

Swindle feels like a KO figure, the plastic is that thin and the transformation feels like it is missing steps, the transformation is that simple. Mine struggles to remain together in alt mode,and the wheels do not roll well and again feel too thin and cheap. I love the colour and the alt mode looks decent, infact with his size and bulkiness he looks okay, it is only when you hold him or try to transform him do his flaws become apparent.

Blas-off is okay. The transformation feels like an Energon Superion limb, the paint apps are lovely and the size good, but I could not recommend this toy to anyone who was not either a massive fan of the game or wanted Bruticus.

Brawl is smaller than the other two but he looks great in both. The shade of green is lurid and wonderful. The robot mode is menacing and detailed, the transformation is fluid and intuitive. The alt mode is smooth, the lack of extra paint in this mode works for this figure. The metallic silver on the back and the black treads and barrels contrast well with the green.

Overall these figures feel like cheapened, oversized Energon combiner limbs. While Swindle feels cheap, the other two are decent.

I get a real energon/armada vibe from these toys. After the intricate and fiddly panel alignment nightmares of the movie toys, and the ever shrinking Prime and generations toys, these simpler, bulkier figures are a nice throwback . Not something I'd want all my toys to be like, but something different for a change.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

So I've gone and combined them into Bruticus now...

...very ordinary. (-_-)

FoC Bruticus isn't much more articulated than G1 Bruticus -- and by 2012 standards that's astoundingly disappointing. The gestalt parts are self contained, which is an improvement over Energon/Superlink Bruticus, but is something one would expect in a contemporary gestalt. The limbs aren't designed to be interchangeable either -- well, I suppose you could swap the legs around, but Blast Off has an in built right hand and Vortex with a left hand, so you can't really change the arms around. The landing skids on Vortex kinda get in the way of the left arm articulation and my Swindle doesn't lock in very strongly in leg mode and the front section is prone to unlatching. Onslaught's arms aren't very well concealed - rather they just tuck under the armpits. You can easily fold them out for that "Monstructor" look.

This toy offers about the same amount of play value as G1 Bruticus -- arguably less considering that the limbs don't interchange (although the self contained parts is a plus). But considering that there's a 26 year gap between the two toys, one would expect FoC Bruticus to offer a lot better play value than G1 Bruticus, not be on par with it. This toy pales in comparison with Beast Wars and Car Robot/RiD gestalts, and those toys came out 12-15 years ago. So while there's nothing really bad or terrible about Bruticus per se, there's nothing outstanding about it either. It's just a terribly underwhelming toy.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ...The limbs aren't designed to be interchangeable either -- well, I suppose you could swap the legs around, but Blast Off has an in built right hand and Vortex with a left hand, so you can't really change the arms around...
    errrr... the limbs are interchangeable. Blast off has a separate thumb piece to fold down for left and right hands; Vortex's thumb is on a joint to flip it around each side to get left and right hands; Swindle has two sets of fists; Brawl uses either of his robot mode feet to simulate left and right thumbs. Plus, arms and legs are also interchangeable (check out the Wreckers combined mode which switches the arm and leg configurations around).

Personally, considering the compulsory reduction in mass and bulk, I think the designers did an okay job with the interchangeable limbs and passable game accuracy in their individual robot and vehicle modes. If you're going to get them, you might as well get the whole set as the combined mode is the biggest reason to get them in the first place, the figures contain too many flaws on their own with the central aim of combining.

I think if the designers didn't try and force elbow joints into the arms, then they won't be as dementedly elongated as they are now. It's not like you can pose him anyway (the hip joints are too weak causing him to fall down most of the time when you're trying for an action pose ), so those normally proportioned straight rigid arms like G1 would work here (and arguably easier to design). Plus, the core robot really needed to be a Voyager classed figure. Either way, I think they're a good set, and quite fun to fiddle around with.

My personal favourite is to switch Blast-Off and Swindle, and leave Swindle in proper vehicle mode (no elbow joint) as well as shortening Vortex's arm, it makes the combined mode look much better and proportioned.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

Quote Originally Posted by christalcase View Post
    errrr... the limbs are interchangeable. Blast off has a separate thumb piece to fold down for left and right hands; Vortex's thumb is on a joint to flip it around each side to get left and right hands; Swindle has two sets of fists; Brawl uses either of his robot mode feet to simulate left and right thumbs. Plus, arms and legs are also interchangeable
    Yes, you're absolutely right. I did notice the hands in Swindle when I was playing with him individually last night... slipped my mind when I was combining them into Bruticus tonight. Oops.