Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GI Joe ROC movie Discussion Thread !! SPOILERS!!

Default GI Joe ROC movie Discussion Thread !! SPOILERS!!

Seeing as how I decided I couldn't wait and went to see the movie tonight with Kup, and i still haven't gone to bed yet. I'll be the first to start up this thread.

!!!!!!IN CASE YOU MISSED IT BEWARE THIS THREAD HAS SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BECAUSE KNOWING IS HALF THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!

Ok that out of the way, my inital view on the GI Joe movie is that it was a generaly enjoyable light hearted action flick. Sure it was corny and silly in places, but it never atempted to appear as serious as some of the super hero films out there, or ROTF for that matter. It was light and fluffy with non stop action.

Sure the special effects could have been better, I'm sure they didn't have anywhere near the budget of ROTF, but they were plentifull and enjoyable and reminded me of the cartoon.

One or two elements of the story line buged me, mainly the Baroness/Duke thing but overall I'm not complaining, i could follow it, I can't say the same for ROTF. Though I went in with low excpectations I must admit. It was also kind of annoying as things only went into full swing at the very end of the movie, and certain plot lines were purposely left unconcluded (as opposed to Michael bay forgoten). It means I Want a sequel now grrrr!

Most of the characters were portrayed as I would excpect them, sure there were some significant changes in their origins and backgrounds but they acted much like their cartoon or comic equivelants.

The movie felt as if it was stitched together from the full spectrum of cartoons, toys and comics combined. They weren't confined by trying to be quite as serious as Transformers (odd as that sounds). All the basic elements of the various Joe continuities were there, so they kept things like the lienage of the Mc Cullen clan, the Storm Shadow Snake Eyes rivalry, badguys in crazy suits, sci Fi looking vehicles, future weapons, good old fashioned gun fights, good old fashioned blades. the Pitt, All the cornball cartoon lines, etc.

Lastly four moments I have to admit I got a buzz from:
    Kung Fu Grip line
    Breakers Bubble gum
    Jinx Cameo
    Dr Mindbender mentioned

I sure hope it the make another though just to finish of the Zartan story, but I have my doubts.

Its late, so I'll see how I feel about it tommorow, once I digest it a bit.

great movie.

what are your thoughts on Cobra Commander?

Can't wait for the sequel.

I heard there is a USS Flagg cameo
    Bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong!

Quote Originally Posted by JustOwen View Post
    great movie.

what are your thoughts on Cobra Commander?

Can't wait for the sequel.
    Cobra Commander seemed to draw on the various joe universe's. I thought it was a little odd how Rex just turned evil because he was so impressed by the Nanomites or something. I'll have to watch that again. However Cobra Commander being a scientest is in keeping with the lame Gi Joe animated movie origin where CC is a Cobra la scientest. Conversely on the other side of the fence he seemed to display the cunning of his comic counterpart manipulating everything from behind the scenes, and he wasn't quite a hissing coward either.

I'm not sure about his helmet either,but if there is a sequel we'll see what he's wearing then.

I hope they make a sequel, but we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by hound View Post
    I heard there is a USS Flagg cameo
    Maaaaaayyyybbbbeeeeeee.......

i doubt he is the real CC.

there was a scene where the US president saw someone coming out of a trapdoor in the bunker. He might be the real deal. Destro gave out a hint that there was someone behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOwen View Post
    i doubt he is the real CC.

there was a scene where the US president saw someone coming out of a trapdoor in the bunker. He might be the real deal. Destro gave out a hint that there was someone behind him.
    I had the same thought when I saw the scene given the president's reaction (he seemed to recognize him as someone he knew - not himself) but then the ending showed us that it was actually Zartan.

why did stormshadow die?
    i don't understand that.

or did he really die.
    he plunged into the water with lot of wounds. i don't think he died.

Spoiler! Please highlight:

The actor has already signed on to do two more sequels, so I don't think Storm Shadow is quite dead yet.

i got a good kick out of the movie and im not even a joe fan

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to it (even though I'm not really a GI Joe fan).