Page 67 of 76 FirstFirst ... 47576263646566676869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: LEGO

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Mmmmm, I'm not really seeing $130 in that farm set. More like $80. Not compared to the police station that's for sure.
    Maybe not $130 worth of build time. But as far as plastic weight goes, it feels about right.

That's why the fabled 'part to price' ratio system is so completely flawed. There's more expense involved in a set than just pumping out a bunch of parts. It also depends on the amount of unique/rare pieces the set requires, and how many printed elements there are.

I'm trying to put together (over a long period of time) a town/rail layout, but not in the traditional way (IE one big board with everything permanently stuck down).

I'm setting up little 'vignettes' or mini diaromas, each with a piece of straight track involved in some way...the harbour crane and boat for example will have the rail running alongside it to receive cargo.

Another diaroma may feature 4-5 houses on a straight road, across the road is a beach with the coast guard tower, and another section of straight rail running between the road and beach. Maybe a little beach shop too.

There would be a downtown area too (predominantly made up of the 'town plan' set if I can find it cheap somewhere), with a park in the middle and a train station, and again a length of straight rail running through somewhere.

The airport and police station (prison transport?) need to be factored in there somewhere, and I think the farm could make a nice destination as well.

The idea is to then be able to have these on display as separate little scenes in the display cabinet, but be able to bring them down on the weekends, join all the segments together with other track (a different layout everytime) and let the kids play with it.

That's the plan anyway...

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Maybe not $130 worth of build time. But as far as plastic weight goes, it feels about right.

That's why the fabled 'part to price' ratio system is so completely flawed. There's more expense involved in a set than just pumping out a bunch of parts. It also depends on the amount of unique/rare pieces the set requires, and how many printed elements there are.
    Dude, I'm looking at it, doesn't look to be that much plastic at all compared to the police station. Even the $89 fire station looks to be a much better buy.

If you can justify it for a couple of cows and large silo/barn bits, then go for it. I just can't. I find more value in this at the same price: http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product...295&cn=57&d=70 And since I already have the 8293 set too, then all the more value for my dollar.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Dude, I'm looking at it, doesn't look to be that much plastic at all compared to the police station. Even the $89 fire station looks to be a much better buy.

If you can justify it for a couple of cows and large silo/barn bits, then go for it. I just can't. I find more value in this at the same price: http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product...295&cn=57&d=70 And since I already have the 8293 set too, then all the more value for my dollar.

I guess it really comes down to what you want from your Lego experience. I like a decent build like everyone, but it has to function reasonably well as a toy too, because I don't just buy them for me, it's for the kids as much as anything. My eldest is starting to like the Technic stuff, but still spends far more time mucking about with the Town or Star Wars stuff, because they have infinitely more stories to tell than a forklift does.

Of course, when you can mix both worlds, like the motorized AT-AT, well that's just perfect

Big W Lego Sale on select Lego items:

8960 Power Miners - Thunder Driller - $34.93 (rrp $50)
    8959 Power Miners - Claw Digger - $29.88 (rrp $40)
    8958 Power Miners - Granite Grinder - $14.94 (rrp $20)
    8956 Power Miners - Stone Chopper - $6.88 (rrp $10)

8978 to 8983 Latest Bionicles Range - $13.66 ea (rrp $20)

6191 to 6193 Basic Building Sets with Minifig (Firefighter, Pirate & Castle) - $9.88 ea (rrp $15)

Pretty good prices, especially for the Thunder Driller.

Lego Transformers!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3692789...7616401382860/

Starscream and the Ark are really well done!
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Very nice Constructicons!

Snapped these at the TRU in Times Square, Manhattan. King Kong's head was motorized turning side to side.

Some pics from the Lego shop in a mall in Virginia

Green Grocer, Market Street and the new Emerald Night train set (which i did not know was released yet):

The buy-by-the-brick wall. This doesn't really make sense as they might have had a total of 50 brick types which just seems like a ridiculously useless small number:

See Yoda next you will:

Some assembled sets including the Taj Mahal and the VW Beetle:

A very cute little Tic Tac Toe travel set. I was very tempted:

Where is that drool icon?

I needs it for the Emerald beacon, If that is seen by my eyes it will be bought, much to the missus chagrin.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I was lucky enough to be invited to the australian toyfair last month. some most excellent sets coming out - space police are back also some neat new castle sets.