Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Headrobots: Blood, The Dark Warrior

Hrm, I totalyl forgot about these. need to get some. They look good.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

That's impressive. But what is dry brushing, and what does it involve? Your brushed head looked far more impressive than the original.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    That's impressive. But what is dry brushing, and what does it involve? Your brushed head looked far more impressive than the original.
    I will try to explain it as best I can but I am no expert. That was the first time ever that I had tried dry brushing any toy as I was previously afraid of stuffing it up.

Dry brushing is used to bring out molded detail in plastic by having a darker shade of runny paint to outline surface details. It is also used to provide the illusion of 'weathering' in plastic models.

Dry brushing requires a special 'watery' paint, the little paint tub I have is labeled 'Citadel Washes - Badab Black' and can be bought at Games Workshop and other hobby places. The one I have was kindly given to me.

To apply it you simply get some paint on a pice of paper and with brush, smear it all over the surface that you want to bring out details. The paint will go into all the little gaps and lines causing them to stand out as you can see with Bludgeon's nose and teeth. The rest of the paint can just be wiped with a piece of cloth or tissue if you don't want the weathering on other surfaces.

To do my Blood head, I just smeared the black wash paint all over the mouth and nose and then I quickly wiped the paint off with a tissue removing the surface paint. Only the bits that had gone in the detailing such as the teeth and nose remained bringing out the sculpt detail.

It was all a less than 3 minute job, just be mindful that the paint drys quickly so wipe away the excess right away.

Here is a better written description by an expert:

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide...Drybrushing-1/

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I will try to explain it as best I can but I am no expert. That was the first time ever that I had tried dry brushing any toy as I was previously afraid of stuffing it up.

Dry brushing is used to bring out molded detail in plastic by having a darker shade of runny paint to outline surface details. It is also used to provide the illusion of 'weathering' in plastic models.

Dry brushing requires a special 'watery' paint, the little paint tub I have is labeled 'Citadel Washes - Badab Black' and can be bought at Games Workshop and other hobby places. The one I have was kindly given to me.

To apply it you simply get some paint on a pice of paper and with brush, smear it all over the surface that you want to bring out details. The paint will go into all the little gaps and lines causing them to stand out as you can see with Bludgeon's nose and teeth. The rest of the paint can just be wiped with a piece of cloth or tissue if you don't want the weathering on other surfaces.

To do my Blood head, I just smeared the black wash paint all over the mouth and nose and then I quickly wiped the paint off with a tissue removing the surface paint. Only the bits that had gone in the detailing such as the teeth and nose remained bringing out the sculpt detail.

It was all a less than 3 minute job, just be mindful that the paint drys quickly so wipe away the excess right away.

Here is a better written description by an expert:

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide...Drybrushing-1/
    Technically you actually described a wash or a glaze, that's where you wash the subject with a liquid paint or ink usualy mixed with detergent or a similar thinning agent to lower the paints viscosity. The citadel inks described are probably one of the best options for convenience. Here is a link, though not a great example.

For anyone using inks just be aware that even though they are thin they will ever so slightly alter the colour of the surface they are painted on (unless rubbed off), and also while the Citadel inks are a know quantity some brands tend to dry glossy and give a wet finish.

Dry brushing on the other hand involves painting over a textured surface with a paintbrush which has had most of the paint brushed out, the tutorial Kup linked is a perfect example, but I wouldn't use it on the Bludgeon head unless you wanted to repaint it a more bone like colour.

Well. Those chrome swords look pretty boss. I'm just not loving the G1 head.
    but those chrome swords are tempting...

The head looks really goofy. I do want those weapons though.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post
    The head looks really goofy. I do want those weapons though.
    To me it's a massive improvement from the default Skeletal piggy face but yeah, the swords also add a lot to the figure.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    To me it's a massive improvement from the default Skeletal piggy face but yeah, the swords also add a lot to the figure.
    To be fair the old face suits the expanded movieverse of which the toy is part. The Headrobots skull face is pretty 80's cheesy but that's the idea.

Still making up my mind on this set, though I actually find I'm quite partial to the neutral robot face surprisingly, we'll see though.

Well I prefer the IDW verse face than the MOTU skeletor face, though I haven't changed mine coz I find the loose helmet an item that'll easily get lost during play as it doesnt seem to lock in place. I actually want the set for the chrome swords, which now that I have it I used instead for my G1 figure and G1 Bludgeon holds it quite easily and stays put which is awesome

a little bit of shaking to test if it'll fall off but it stays put
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Figured this thread has enough interest/posts, so rather than start a new thread

New Headrobots Centurion set. According to BBTS

"The next release from the Headrobots line is called Centurion, and isprimarily designed for the intermediate robot of a rather large 'double'Headmaster. The set includes both Japanese and American versions of theHeadrobot (two different styles) as well as a clear red bladed powersword. This limited edition set is listed at $59.99"

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/p...il&picture=out