Thread: My Little Pony

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My Little Pony

In 2010, The Hub network debuted an animated series based on a Hasbro toyline that was intelligent, well-written and humorous - a visual feast with great characterisation. Obviously I'm not talking about Transformers: Prime - that's almost unwatchable. I mean My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

Friendship Is Magic is the story of Twilight Sparkle (familiarly voiced by Tara Strong [Sari Sumdac]), a bookworm completely devoted to her studies who's sent from Equestria to Ponyville by her mentor to take a break and make some friends. Reluctantly, she does as Princess Celestia tells her and meets some strange ponies - Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Rarity (played by Tabitha St. Germain - Alexis from Armada and Energon). Meanwhile, Celestia's sister, Nightmare Moon, "The Mare In The Moon" has been imprisoned for a thousand years, but she has escaped and plans to bring about "nighttime eternal". Friendship Is Magic is the spiritual sister to Transformers: Animated - a Hasbro-based cartoon show created by someone who grew up on and still loves the toyline from the eighties. And it shows. See here for an example of Lauren Faust's G1 devotion in her creation of the main characters:

So this thread is for discussion of anything My Little Pony, why Friendship Is Magic is awesome and - if you like - why Hasbro should have come up with something equally awesome rather than the lacklustre Transformers: Prime.

I saw a MLP display in the toy section of a BigW yesterday... Have they just come out?

My daughter and wife do not like the new look of them. They just look wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    My daughter and wife do not like the new look of them. They just look wrong.
    Is it definitely the G4 ponies they don't like and not the G3.5s? Because the G3.5 ponies are creepy looking (kind of like long-legged turtles without shells that sometimes stand on their hind legs.) But in my opinion, the G4s are cute (and even more so because of their characterisation. They're the ones in Griffin's pic in the post above this one.)

I found out that my wife is a MLP fan and she loves the new show, it's kind of worked out as now I can buy her toys at the same time I do, and they tend to be cheaper too

haha, i didnt expect a topic to be posted about this show.

my daughter loves the new mlp:fim
    im actually partial to the show as well as it has decent writing for a children's show and the new designs are really nice and refreshing in a way.

season 1 has also just finished airing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Is it definitely the G4 ponies they don't like and not the G3.5s? Because the G3.5 ponies are creepy looking (kind of like long-legged turtles without shells that sometimes stand on their hind legs.) But in my opinion, the G4s are cute (and even more so because of their characterisation. They're the ones in Griffin's pic in the post above this one.)
    Actually they dont like G3.5 or G4. They like the style from around 2005 ish? They had magnets in the feet for some reason and she kept them on the fridge :/

My Daughter has quite the collection. But says she wont play with them cause she wants to keep them nice She is more interested in her Voyager Animated Bulkhead

I found this, thought you guys might enjoy it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVfi...&feature=share

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I saw a MLP display in the toy section of a BigW yesterday... Have they just come out?
    Saw the new line of figures at David Jones on Sunday as well, which can be identified by the new whiter logo.

Yes, they have just seen a release here. Reason being that most of the 2008 "Ponyville" line has been filling shelves for the longest part now.

I should pay more attention to things...

(from the cover of March's Toy Retailer Magazine)