Default Toy Review - Studio Series LDR Grimlock

Series - Studio Series
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 1
    Released here - April 2018
    Approximate Retail Price - $90

Dino mode:
    He's big and impressive. COVERED in sculpted details. Lighter than what you expect but very overall pretty a very solid dinosaur, aside from the 'bot mode butt flap which could've easily had a locking tab instead of just hanging there against gravity with mere friction of the hinge that it attaches to. I found you can have one side of the rubbery piece rest on one of the tail spikes to stop the butt flap from drooping.

The dry brush look is very awesome in person. I personally don't mind the small gaps on the body. Articulation is somewhat limited in dino mode. The already ball jointed feet are no sort of locked on the side to side direction due to transformation, and the jaw hinge has only two click points and it doesn't even fully close, which makes him look quite derpy with his half open mouth. Luckily the 'bot arm joint is still accessibly in dino mode which now has the upper body turn side to side. This is quite helpful in creating some aggressive dino poses.

Transformation:
    Surprisingly simple for its size but very effective. It's almost like sculpt and paint were taken as priority on this figure. I wish there'd be more in the leg transformation to further distinguish between 'bot and dino legs. But all in all I think the end results are quite impressive.

'Bot mode:
    I agree with the internet that this is the mode that shines. Again, that dry brush is GODLIKE. In find the whole thing looks better under natural lighting. You could even argue that this is the best paint job on a mainline Transformer toy, ever. Combined with the ILM CGI-powered sculpt and the sheer size, this guy just has this incredible presence, which I could only feel from Masterpiece figures like MP-36 Megatron. I especially like how they didn't skimp on the faux dino head details, and how the waist armor pieces integrate seamlessly as one piece of skirt armor.

Articulation is adequate. The armor pieces do bump into each other in some more dynamic poses though, and the ankle ball joint has quite limited range.

Overall:
    Grimlock is a really strong start to the Studio Series. I'd long lost interest in the mainline movie figures and was gonna just cherry pick 2 or 3 figures from this new line. But just seeing them on the shelf in person and owning two figures, and how they look together completely changed my mind that I'm considering going completionist. Goes to show what HasTak are capable of when they're not being cheap.

FatalityPitt Guest

hehehe Guyver Grimlock!

I saw this at Myer yesterday. I like the brushed metal look.

More information for the opener:

Series - Studio Series
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 1
    Released here - April 2018
    Approximate Retail Price - $89
    Approximate Size - 25cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Stylised Tyrannosaurus rex
    Main Features/Gimmicks - New, screen-accurate design
    Main Colours - Grey, green
    Main Accessories - N/A

Tyrannosaurus rex mode

A stylised Tyrannosaurus rex. The proportions are strange - the head is large, the neck is indistinct, and the upper torso is thin when viewed from above. On the other hand, the legs are massive - all the better for charging at speed, I suppose.

While the entire figure is moulded in dark grey, the figure has had metallic green paint applied to it with what appears to be drybrushing. The green makes for an interesting effect - it gives the impression of an oxidised copper patina (think of the domes on the roof of the Queen Victoria Building or the Statue of Liberty), although real oxidised copper is dull green. On the CGI model, the patina seemed to hint at Grimlock's age without making him a rusty brown.

There are gaps in the upper torso, and the tail appears uneven, but the overall appearance is still aesthetically pleasing because of the colours and the screen-accuracy of the moulded details. That said, the previous leader class figure had a more cohesive tyrannosaur mode.

Transformation

Grimlock has an asymmetrical transformation that evokes The Last Knight's voyager class Scorn or the original Beast Wars Megatron.

The old leader class figure actually had a more screen-accurate transformation scheme, with the tyrannosaur legs forming the robot arms and the torso swinging up and around to form the lower torso and legs; however, it had a strangely elongated torso as a result. The Studio Series version's torso is far shorter.

Robot mode

Suitably big and imposing. Designing Transformers involves a compromise between the two modes, and it seems that priority was given to the robot mode here.

Grimlock has no accessories, but he does have a weapon - his right forearm forms a morning star, capped with a spiked ball where his right hand would be. Even though this is screen-accurate - Grimlock's arm takes on this configuration when he initially attacks Optimus Prime - this may be a negative for people who would have wanted Grimlock to have both hands.

His dragontooth mace as a weapon to be wielded in his left hand would have been a nice addition.

Verdict

Both modes look good, but the robot mode is the superior one.

Yes, there are a few areas where the old leader-class figure is superior, but they're overshadowed by the far more screen-accurate appearance of Studio Series Grimlock in both modes.

I managed to not buy this when visiting Sydney a week ago because of limited funds. Reading these reviews makes me wish I’d given in to my greedy instincts and grabbed him.

Great review/s

I don't have much to add except I don't like beastformers, and I really don't like them in their beast modes
    BUT
    I love this guy in BOTH modes.

10/10 would recommend.

I'm tempted by this guy but i'm struggling to get past the fact that his bot mode has two complete T-rex heads, one on each shoulder.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'm tempted by this guy but i'm struggling to get past the fact that his bot mode has two complete T-rex heads, one on each shoulder.
    One of the very reasons I think he's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post

Is it not one half of a head on each side? Or 2 actual whole heads?

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    2 complete heads. You can see the other one at the back end of the dino mode, sort of inverted inside-out - it's pretty well hidden, but once you see it you can't unsee it.

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    look at some of the available photos of bot mode from the back.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)