Thread: Optimus Prime

Default Optimus Prime

A friend of mine dug up her brother's old toy box and found an Optimus Prime, but wasn't sure if it was the original G1 or 1993 G2. I suspected G2 because the box also contained the G2 trailer, but the robot had no tampograph behind the right leg, although it could've been worn/rubbed off. I had a close look at one of the photos and was able to identify it as a G2 Optimus Prime according to the design in the hollow part of the upper leg (that's right, hollow parts in Transformers is nothing new!).

As you can see, the original is less hollow than G2. So if anyone ever comes across a loose G1 Optimus Prime and you're not sure if it's an original or G2, well, that's how you can tell. The hollow design on reissue Convoys/Optimus Primes are also different, but as this wasn't an issue with my friend I didn't bother photographing any of my reissues. I can though if anyone would like me to.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 29th December 2016 at 09:38 AM.

Good info but this thread deserves a better title something like.. ID'ing the G1 or G2 Optimus Prime mold
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

In my friend's picture I think it's actually the 1990 Classic reissue Optimus Prime, which would explain the lack of tampograph on the back of the right leg. She found the instructions, and yeah, definitely the 1990 reissue. So interesting to see that the extra hollowness in 1993 G2 Optimus Prime didn't originate with that mould, but with the first reissue. I never bought the Classic reissue and have never seen one loose IRL. I've updated the first post to include her pic of the Classic reissue, but it's taken at a very sharp low angle which makes the hollow shape look different, but as far as I can tell it's the same as the G2 figure. Does anyone here have 1990 Classic Optimus Prime? If so, could they post a photo of the inner leg hollow from a direct front on angle?