Thread: ToysRUs VIP club now in Australia

Default ToysRUs VIP club now in Australia

Some of you who've been in other countries that have ToysRUs stores, may be familiar with the VIP clubs they've had running, that earns bonuses and access special prices of select items in stores... well, now it has finally come to Australia.

The membership is free, and you can either register on the website, or obtain a VIP card from a TRU store and activate it on their site (they just gave me one with a purchase last weekend).

Just be aware of all the conditions and privacy policy pages on their site, as you are required to give them a lot of your personal details (address, phone number) for something that doesn't need them... because they do note on their privacy policy page that they share your information with their partners, including ones that are foreign.

If that doesn't bother you, the VIP club earns you two things...
    1) - access to in-store discounts of selected, noted items, and
    2) - points that can be redeemed as a discount at checkout.

Number 1 is really the best thing for this promotion, as something might eventually show up as a VIP discount that you want, and you have the card ready for it.
    But Number 2 is not something to rely on as a bonus, as you only get one point per dollar spent, and you only get $1 discount with each 100 points earned... but only accessible if you have more than 500 points in your account.
    So that means, you only get $1 off for every $100 you spend, but you can only start claiming that discount after $500 spent.
    A 1% discount wont add up to much unless you spend a lot of money at TRU stores.... which most of us don't, as they are one of the more expensive sources, so Number 1 is probably the only reason I'd recommend this promotion (in case they have something of interest on VIP discount and you need the active card on hand to get it).

Already have it. It's been there for a while now. Even if you have the club card, I believe you still need the promo code/print during their sales. That's a bit annoying.

I almost always forget to bring it when i buy but I have the points and haven't used it yet.

I signed up when MP Soundwave came out because you get $10 off on your next purchase. Also the TRU survey no longer gives you $5 off voucher after completing it.

They have had the VIP card for about 6 months now I think. I have over 1000 points ATM
    Speaking of VIP cards, next weeks catalogue has half price Transformer Prime Weaponisers for $29.95. The photo features 'Snotimus' Prime
    Also AOE Optimus at $99 for VIP card holders.

I didn't say it had just started... just that it was now here, because the first I heard of it wasn't by anyone here posting about it, but seeing signs in a Melbourne TRU at the start of March.
    I don't doubt that it may have been out some time before that, but no one here mentioned it, and since it is such a big deal in other countries (when I was in Singapore and HK, they had some great TFs deals but I couldn't get them because I couldn't be a member in those countries).

Now that it is here, it would be worth having a TRU VIP discounts topic in the AUS News section, like the other sale topics, so that people here can maybe get some good discounts on their over-priced toys.
    (and maybe non-TFs discounts of interest can be posted in this topic)

My main point was to stress that it should be prioritised for use on the VIP offers, not just to earn points, as the return benefit is much less than buying those items at other sources (if you can find the item for more than 1% cheaper than at TRU, it is not worth spending more at TRU just to get back a 1% discount later from the points earned). It's the same as those reward credit card schemes - only use them if the reward does not cost you more than if you had shopped some other way.
    I just want that disclaimer there if anyone signs up because of my posting, and then buys all their toys at TRU because of the Points Scheme. Keep shopping around, and only use the card if it actually benefits you on every transaction (as in, price or availability).

Thought it was common knowledge. Especially since some post the discount vouchers.

I didn't know it was a big thing overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    Thought it was common knowledge. Especially since some post the discount vouchers.

News to me. Thanks for the heads up
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post

I thought a lot knew about it during the Soundwave mp fiasco. But anyway, I have bought a lot of baby stuff and accumulated quite a bit of points.

I did a search for "Club" (because VIP is too short for the search engine), and going back to September, nothing was mentioned, so as soon as I verified the details, I posted it up for the benefit of members here.

If a lot of people knew about it, it wasn't from here... and it would have been nice to have it announced here for the benefit of other fans if people did know since MP Soundwave came out in November (as it is a gimmick that will help us save money on toys & TFs from time to time).

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I have no issues about telling about the club. It is beneficial for new members anyway.

I also did remember stating that Tru Singapore had needed you to be a member to obtain the mp soundwave.

There are exclusive member discounts as well.

Speaking of the Club I just got a $5 voucher from them to be used Saturday only so I thought I'd share

http://www.toysrus.com.au/i8044107?u...&utm_campaign=[WK35_ROTO_3009_VIP]

It does say to Print it