Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pangu Plaza China wants out AOE

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I've read about this in a few different places. What was their actual problem? Did the hotel get blown up in the flick? Was it on screen not enough? Was there some sub-sub clause that had not been properly signed? I mean, it was described as 'product placement gone sour' but not actually why it went sour. Unless it's that the hotel transformed into Trypticons balls it sounds like the Pangu Plaza lot need to get the starch out of their grundys
    It's not actually the product placement itself that was the problem - that's the one bit of the alleged contract that Paramount has fulfilled. However, I believe they failed to supply the hotel with an exhibit of props, a VIP celebration and a premiere. As a consequence, the Plaza was demanding the product placement be removed from the film - that's the soured part.

Apparently both parties have kissed and made up...
    (or Paramount have paid off the hotel, because they are looking to reap 100s of millions of dollars from a smooth Chinese release)

If it wasn't for this story the appearance of Pangu Plaza in the film wouldn't have stood out as much for me. Probably not at all

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    If it wasn't for this story the appearance of Pangu Plaza in the film wouldn't have stood out as much for me. Probably not at all
    Same. I saw the logo in the film and took note. If not for this story, would've been non-memorable.

I found this article today that details just how much Paramount did to appease the Pangu Plaza in the final days before the movie was released. Flying several stars and crew in, setting up props and displays in the Plaza, and chasing up Chinese media with just 4 hours notice for a 13 minute promotional event.
    It also notes that the deal paid US$1.6 million to Bay or Paramount for their 20 seconds of product placement, which can give an idea of how much money the Movie raised from all those product placements in it.