• Only if (something else)

1 4.35%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

3 13.04%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - POTP Predaking

Anyone still after one, try this link and use code POGOSTICK to grab one for $241 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HASB...c9a71c0d225aaf
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    Anyone still after one, try this link and use code POGOSTICK to grab one for $241 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HASB...c9a71c0d225aaf
    That's who I bought mine from. For those that care about box condition (like me) they just chuck it in a box so expect some dings.

I finally got mine for my birthday. My thoughts:

*Animal modes are pretty crap. Razorclaw isn't too bad and Rampage is passable but the other three really do suck. Very disappointing
    *Robot modes aren't bad. Once again Razorclaw looks the best of the lot and Rampage is passable. The other three have too much kibble hanging down behind their legs and the shoulder cannons look frankly silly on Headstrong and Torox. All 5 really need swords as well.
    *I'm really liking Predaking! His combined mode is definitely where you finally get to feel like you are getting some value for your money. I also like his difficulty level - more complicated to assemble than the smaller CW combiners but not as complicated to put together as Devestator.
    *Putting on all the stickers is a real pain in the diodes, but the figures do look better with them on.

So overall I really like Predaking, but I find Divebomb, Torox and Headstrong to be severe disappointments considering their size and how much they cost. When it comes down to it, Devestator was better value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Looks can be deceiving. I was carrying Predaking around in public yesterday and on the way back to my car I felt my arm going numb from holding Predaking with one hand.
    Maybe go to the gym...

I can't believe I voted yes on the poll but I'm glad I didn't buy it.
    Back in the 80's, the brick alt. modes would have been state of the art but these days it's a different story. The sight of carnivores like Razorclaw and Rampage with the bodies of herbivores is a joke these days. I agree that Devastator is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    The sight of carnivores like Razorclaw and Rampage with the bodies of herbivores is a joke these days. I agree that Devastator is where it's.
    To be fair, the movement towards a more slavish level of G1 accuracy has been a running theme in Titans Return in general so I don't think I could single out just Predaking for having this trait. Take a look at TR Sixshot - the level of G1 accuracy on that toy is insane. And of course, there is a real downside to being so G1 accurate, and that is inheriting the traits from toys that were designed in the 1980s. Now that can be a really good, bad or indifferent thing according to your tastes, but I wouldn't call it a design or engineering flaw but rather an aesthetic design choice. And I get it if it's not your thing, and as much as I looove TR Predaking, I totally get where you're coming from.

And this is why I'm skipping toys like Siege Optimus Prime, Sideswipe, Hound, Mirage and Springer. I already have pre-existing CHUG versions of these toys that employ greater originality in their aesthetic designs. They're not attempting to be as slavishly G1 accurate. I'm also skipping the new MP Convoy and Bumble for the same reasons (and price ).

When Classics started it was never about simply emulating G1 toys with contemporary design/tech standards. It was more about re-imagining G1 characters with contemporary standards. It felt more like what if the G1 characters were made today, and not what if the G1 characters were remade today. Many of the original CHUG toys were more liberated from having to slavishly conform to 80s G1 designs. They only needed to be aesthetically recognisable enough that you could immediately tell who they were, and they did this well. Classics Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Starscream, Jetfire, Ramjet etc. - everyone can look at these toys and know straight away who they are. They didn't need to be so slavishly accurate to their G1 designs.

The one possible issue with a slimmer Razorclaw is that it may not have sufficient bulk to form the torso for Predaking. TR Razorclaw as it is doesn't have enough bulk and needs to be supplemented with Divebomb's backpack. And I don't know if having a skinnier Rampage and Divebomb would make Predaking's arms look thin in comparison with the rest of the body. Remember that Devastator does bulk out its arms with accessories - not just the hands but the entire forearms too. Bonecrusher and Scavenger only form the upper arms whereas Rampage and Divebomb have to form the entire arms at the same scale.

But yes, I take your point that there absolutely could've been more creativity in the design, but this seems to have been an overall design made with the entire Titans Return line and by no means isolated to the Predacons. Slash is so ridiculously G1 in design that when I posted comparison pics of the G1 and POTP Dinobots, I secretly sneaked Slash into the shot of the G1 Dinobots and nobody noticed. And in my observation, most fans want a slavish level of G1 accuracy from their CHUGs and MPs. I personally don't care either way. Honestly, if I want to play with a super G1 accurate toy, I'll play with my G1 TFs! You literally cannot get anymore G1 accurate than that. I would like to see CHUG return to their roots with greater originality in their conceptual designs.

Haaaaaaaving said that, the slavish G1 accuracy has really pleased me with G1 characters whose toys I don't own and will probably never own, like Overlord and Greatshot. I'm just personally chuffed that we have an excellent set of Classics Predacons, cos honestly, if they'd released this set back in 2006 I highly doubt any of us would complain one iota.

If only I didn’t have kids to feed basically sums up this guy for me. I still buy Transformers but I have to justify them to myself.......
    This guy is in the I wish colum.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    To be fair, the movement towards a more slavish level of G1 accuracy has been a running theme in Titans Return in general so I don't think I could single out just Predaking for having this trait. Take a look at TR Sixshot - the level of G1 accuracy on that toy is insane. And of course, there is a real downside to being so G1 accurate, and that is inheriting the traits from toys that were designed in the 1980s. Now that can be a really good, bad or indifferent thing according to your tastes, but I wouldn't call it a design or engineering flaw but rather an aesthetic design choice. And I get it if it's not your thing, and as much as I looove TR Predaking, I totally get where you're coming from.

And this is why I'm skipping toys like Siege Optimus Prime, Sideswipe, Hound, Mirage and Springer. I already have pre-existing CHUG versions of these toys that employ greater originality in their aesthetic designs. They're not attempting to be as slavishly G1 accurate. I'm also skipping the new MP Convoy and Bumble for the same reasons (and price ).

When Classics started it was never about simply emulating G1 toys with contemporary design/tech standards. It was more about re-imagining G1 characters with contemporary standards. It felt more like what if the G1 characters were made today, and not what if the G1 characters were remade today. Many of the original CHUG toys were more liberated from having to slavishly conform to 80s G1 designs. They only needed to be aesthetically recognisable enough that you could immediately tell who they were, and they did this well. Classics Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Starscream, Jetfire, Ramjet etc. - everyone can look at these toys and know straight away who they are. They didn't need to be so slavishly accurate to their G1 designs.

The one possible issue with a slimmer Razorclaw is that it may not have sufficient bulk to form the torso for Predaking. TR Razorclaw as it is doesn't have enough bulk and needs to be supplemented with Divebomb's backpack. And I don't know if having a skinnier Rampage and Divebomb would make Predaking's arms look thin in comparison with the rest of the body. Remember that Devastator does bulk out its arms with accessories - not just the hands but the entire forearms too. Bonecrusher and Scavenger only form the upper arms whereas Rampage and Divebomb have to form the entire arms at the same scale.

But yes, I take your point that there absolutely could've been more creativity in the design, but this seems to have been an overall design made with the entire Titans Return line and by no means isolated to the Predacons. Slash is so ridiculously G1 in design that when I posted comparison pics of the G1 and POTP Dinobots, I secretly sneaked Slash into the shot of the G1 Dinobots and nobody noticed. And in my observation, most fans want a slavish level of G1 accuracy from their CHUGs and MPs. I personally don't care either way. Honestly, if I want to play with a super G1 accurate toy, I'll play with my G1 TFs! You literally cannot get anymore G1 accurate than that. I would like to see CHUG return to their roots with greater originality in their conceptual designs.

Haaaaaaaving said that, the slavish G1 accuracy has really pleased me with G1 characters whose toys I don't own and will probably never own, like Overlord and Greatshot. I'm just personally chuffed that we have an excellent set of Classics Predacons, cos honestly, if they'd released this set back in 2006 I highly doubt any of us would complain one iota.
    1.I regard G1 Sixshot as the most advanced G1 stand alone and wouldn't compare him with G1s like OP, PM OP and SC OP let alone a combiner. With all due respect it would be more balanced to compare combiners with combiners.

2. You make a good point about Razorclaw needing to be bulky in order to be the central combiner but take a look at BW Magnaboss where the central combiner (Ironhide) turns into an elephant while the lion (Prowl) is an add on. I guess Hasbro decided it's best to have the king of the beasts in charge instead of a rhino or bull.

RE: Razorclaw

Also G1 bias. G1 Razorclaw formed the torso of G1 Predaking, so fans would fully expect POTP Razorclaw to form the torso of Predaking. I suspect that say switching Headstrong and Razorclaw around would likely enrage the fanbase.

Heck, look at how many fans were miffed over CW Defensor initially have Groove as a breastplate and newcomer Rook as a limb, and how many collectors then jumped on getting the new Deluxe CW Groove just so they could have a more G1 faithful limbforming Groove. Even though a Legends Class Groove objectively makes more sense as a freakin' motorcycle. No, screw that. Fans want their jumbo chunky motorcycle - realism be damned, G1 fidelity all the way!

Now I'm not saying that this sentimentality is good or bad, but it's something that undeniably exists in the fan base and is something that Hasbro is obviously catering for to optimise product appeal.

RE: Defensor

Glad to see Hasbro showing flexibility and variation on Groove. Would be more amazing if they did the same with the more prominent and popular Predaking or perhaps some risks are too great.