Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware and building thread

The 8700 does look interesting, an extra 2c/4t to compete with Ryzen while still having Intels strong single thread performance - almost regretting the AMD build Ive just bought, but as you said, value for money for what I have now is amazing in comparison.

Maybe wait a month or two until prices stabilise for the new platform and decide then?

Im currently pondering a new GPU, the GTX 960 is now he bottleneck lol. Possibly looking at a GTX 1070 or its inevitable replacement if its out by the time I can afford either.

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    The 8700 does look interesting, an extra 2c/4t to compete with Ryzen while still having Intels strong single thread performance - almost regretting the AMD build Ive just bought, but as you said, value for money for what I have now is amazing in comparison.

Maybe wait a month or two until prices stabilise for the new platform and decide then?

Im currently pondering a new GPU, the GTX 960 is now he bottleneck lol. Possibly looking at a GTX 1070 or its inevitable replacement if its out by the time I can afford either.
    Yeah I'm going to wait a little while before I pull the trigger. I'll sell my 7700k and motherboard when I do to help offset the cost of whatever I get.

As for your video card upgrade, there have been rumours that Nvidia might be making a 1070 Ti which would essentially replace the standard 1080. AMD's Vega was a disappointment in most respects so Nvidia are not in a hurry to put Volta out, but the lowest end Vega beats the standard 1070 most of the time so yeah rumour has it a 1070 Ti is on it's way.

Just remember we are in a mining boom at the moment so video card prices are inflated so shop around when you are ready to buy.

Could be interesting either way... Vega does look interesting, but hadnt looked at enough comparisons - wouldnt be pushing too hard, no 2Kor4K gaming, just 2560x1080

Will see what the prices look like when I can afford to buy - thanks again

Edit: Although, if the 1070ti launch brings 1070 pricing down...
    Last edited by prjkt; 12th October 2017 at 09:27 PM.

no 2Kor4K gaming, just 2560x1080
    Without going into the difference between true 2K and 4K like you get at the cinema, 1920x1080 is 2K. For some reason people can't get it through their heads that 1920 rounds to 2000 pixels ie:2K. 2560x1440 which people wrongly call 2K is more like 2.6K but is properly called 1440p or WQHD.

720p = HD
    1080p = FHD but normally shortened to just HD
    1440p = QHD
    2160p = 4K UHD

Ahh resolutions, what a pile of alphabet soup.

And ah, don't look too hard at the Vega cards, they are really bad for both performance per dollar and performance per watt. Vega 56 might out perform a 1070, but it goes for entry 1080 prices and sucks down 1080 Ti type of voltage.

I refer to 2K (or is it 2.5K?) as a multiple of 1920x1080 - the "K" comes from rounding down 1080 lines (the traditional way of measuring output resolution - the height, not width )

The width then comes down to total resolution/quality, ie back in the day VHS and DVD has the same number of lines (525 for pal) yet the resolution for VHS was much lower due to it's horizontal width having fewer lines (if any of this makes sense, I'm fresh off a 11 hour shift and just waiting for photos to process)

Don't forget all the computer based resolution standards... VGA, SVGA, XVGA, WXVGA etc.... that becomes stupid trying to remember those

EDIT: and 4K refers to not the lines (pixels now I guess) but the fact that it's 4x FullHD (twice width/twice height=essentially four FullHD screens worth in a 2x2 grid in a single 4k screen)

EDIT2: Yeah the Vega pricing is a bit much for me, and the power consumption is a concern, especially with only a 650w PSU....

Well hate to say it but you are using 2K wrong, it's an actual resolution. Check this chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

2K is the cinema version of 1080p , 4K is the cinema version of UHD. However the general public started using 2K to refer to the home version of 1080p and 4K for the home version of 2160p. Using them for anything other than the cinema variant is wrong, but oh well what can you do.

dual 1080p displays are just that, dual 1080p displays.

Measure height when you are talking about a number that ends in a i or p, width when talking about something that ends in a K.

I really don't know why people wanted to change from height to width, it's like changing the rules of a sport mid game.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I really don't know why people wanted to change from height to width, it's like changing the rules of a sport mid game.
    Been a while since my AV tech days so I'll admit to being wrong here - I too am now confused by the sudden change in measurement direction... I wonder if it's now due to the fact that the horizontal AND vertical lines are now fixed at a set resolution, instead of variable...

ah well. Still saving for that 1070

I know I need to buy some custom PSU cables (I'm saving up for the new super high end cables from Cablemod) but apart from that I'm really proud of how my PC is looking.

Looking nice and neat!

Ive looked at those PSU cables too, but out of the budget for now

Have added more lights - Ill have to post a pic

Looking nice and neat!

Ive looked at those PSU cables too, but out of the budget for now

Have added more lights - Ill have to post a pic
    So how are you going with looking for a video card?

You can actually get some video cards like Vega 56 and the GTX 1070 for MSRP if you look around and aren't afraid of shopping at the big US retailers like Amazon and Newegg that service Australia.

Though with Vega 56 you should wait a while longer for non-reference coolers to hit the market. A blower fan on AMD reference hardware hits over 70db under load so it's kinda loud.