Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9192425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Maz's Articles & Reviews

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Headsculpts

A head sculpt can make or break a figure. Some of the nicest overall Transformers figures I have are occasionally let down by a weak head sculpt that is either too vague in its features, unrepresentative of the character it is supposed to be or just plain unpleasant. On the other hand, certain figures of an average nature can be elevated by a superb head sculpt which scores highly on the aforementioned criteria and exudes charm and character. This week I asked a few of my esteemed Transformers collecting peers to contribute their favourite official Transformers head sculpt across any era or sub-line, and explain why they chose it above the rest.

Headsculpts | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Very interesting article.

Since Hasui went to the overseas team, we've seen some absolutely amazing head sculpts, from Combiner Wars to the recent Titans Return.

Default What have TFs done for me?

I would like to think that all of us can point to at least one example of how the Transformers toy line, shows or comics have improved our lives. Whether it has been through the happiness of meeting like-minded enthusiasts or the ownership of excellent toys, the enjoyment of well-written comics or admiration of tremendous artwork, surely we can all point to some aspect of the brand and hobby which brings us happiness. I would like to think if you’re reading this, it’s because of a choice you have made to give part of your time to the hobby.

I think it’s fair to say that over the course of the last 5 years, most of the above has been discussed either by myself or by our contributors, and the joy of Transformers is not an uncommon topic on forums or social media either. I myself have made reference to the wonderful UK pub gatherings that came to be about 3 years ago and have brought a valuable extra dimension of enjoyment to the hobby for me. My enthusiasm for the toys and the brand generally should be evidenced in many years of online articles and participation in the Transformers fan community. I certainly cannot count myself as unique when it comes to the great friends I have made as a result of the hobby, either, so what’s this article all about, then?

What Have Transformers Done For Me? | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

congrats on the new job Maz!

I find it funny that you've been criticized for being too positive?
    The whiners and complainers in this hobby kill me, I for one like the fact that you're positive.... keep being you mate!

if you get a transfer to Oz, we'll catch up for that beer

Megatran Guest

That was a nice read. Though I must admit my first impression of the title reminded me of Janet Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by janda the red View Post
    congrats on the new job Maz!

I find it funny that you've been criticized for being too positive?
    The whiners and complainers in this hobby kill me, I for one like the fact that you're positive.... keep being you mate!

if you get a transfer to Oz, we'll catch up for that beer
    That would be awesome, I shall hold you to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    That was a nice read. Though I must admit my first impression of the title reminded me of Janet Jackson.
    I must admit it was on my mind too when I came up with the title I even considered "What have you done for me lately?" as the article title haha!

All the best
    Maz

Default The Relevant Collection

I recently bought and uploaded to social media images of Perfect Effect Warden, a very successful 3rd party figure from 3 years ago that I had missed out on for some time but finally found for a great price. While there is still a fair amount of affection for this toy about the place, I received a comment about the image and its content that got me thinking. The collector involved, quite innocently, asked “Is that figure still relevant?”. While I admit my first reaction was to defend this fine specimen of a IDW-based comic homage and its well put together features, it did lead to a more significant question. Is there such a thing as a relevant collection?

The Relevant Collection | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Too Much Too Soon

As a toy collector with treasured, vivid childhood memories of receiving a large amount of Transformers on special days, re-living that experience as an adult can be thrilling. Alternatively, not having had that opportunity as a child can sometimes lead to us fulfilling those feelings as adult collectors. Haul photos after toy shows, mail days after bumper purchases, there’s always an element of having something to look forward to in the Transformers collecting culture. Occasionally some of us can overdo it, creating a situation where freshly arrived toys for the collection are not appreciated as much as they could have been had the purchases been more spread out.

Too Much Too Soon | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Reinforcements

Reinforcements from Cybertron! From the history of Transformers, from Diaclone, from the Marvel UK comics, from a 1986 TF:TM movie trailer, from the pages of More Than Meets The Eye. Just last week I was complaining about the volume of Transformers toys I’d picked up, and not one day after that article was published, I had a number of boxes delivered together. Add to that a trip to Toys R Us fuelled by pub-meet enablement and here we are with the above motley crew. My local group of Transformers collectors have a lot to answer for, actually…

Reinforcements | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Collector Interview 51 - Peaugh

Transformers collectors and online community contributors don’t come much more recognisable and respected than Benjamin Dolle AKA Peaugh. His video reviews have been a staple of the online fandom for some years now, his considerable body of work covering everything from vintage G1 to modern day 3rd party and mainline Transformers releases. Ben’s interests are not limited to Transformers, and for someone with such a high profile and held in such high regard by so many, his accessibility and continued enthusiasm for the hobby are a real asset and example to Transformers fans everywhere.

Collector Interview 51 – Benjamin “Peaugh” Dolle | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz