Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Takara LG-31 Fortress Maximus stock photos & discussion

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    I wonder why hasbro always messes up everything.
    The Takara version look 100x better. More true to the original.
    With the exception of Emissary/Cerebros and possibly the sound chip, the differences are cosmetic. And while the TakaraTOMY version may look more aesthetically pleasing to collectors, also consider...
    * The TakaraTOMY version comes out four months after the Hasbro one was first released here.
    * TakTOM's RRP is significantly dearer. ¥29800≈AU$395≈CA$388, and that's before shipping. Compare this with: AU$370 (CA$365) at Myer, AU$249 (CA$246) at Big W or AU$160 (CA$158) at Premium Collectables. The cost of shipping varies depending on which method, but as a super rough guesstimate, let's say the cost of purchasing a TakaraTOMY Fortress Maximus with shipping to Australia costs $500 in total. Okay, the TakaraTOMY version may be aesthetically nicer, but you may be paying an additional $340 for that privilege. Even if I were living in Japan and paying directly in Japanese Yen without conversion and ordering it on Amazon Japan with free next day delivery (so about $300), I'd still be paying more than Big W's or PC's prices (although it would be cheaper than Myer's).

So while the TakaraTOMY version is nicer, the other thing to consider is value for money. If you think it's worth paying an additional $340 for more G1-accurate colours and a toy-accurate face on Fortress, then go nuts. But for those of us who aren't that fussed, then we can enjoy saving that money (which we would likely spend on more toys ).

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Yup TT version totally worth it rather than waste money for something not pleasing to your eyes is hardly any value imo.

Of course that is if you bought one from PC which is cheaper.

if I had seen this colour first I have a totally good impression of fort max. The hasbro one was so off I didn't even feel excited about it.

Yes value for money etc... But you get your money worth adjusting to a weird colour fort max or a nice looking one . All freedom of choice.

Oh btw I missed out on this because the hasbro one looked that not appealing I didn't bother with TT .<so much for advertising and just shadows
    I am pleased to be proven wrong by TT that this piece was way better looking.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I wonder if there will be an option for those of us that want a G1 Season 4 head for Cerebros instead of a Headmasters head? They could include the Hasbro head with a smaller TF.
    I certainly hope so. Or Booster packs of heads!

At first I thought that TT Cerebros/Fortress/Whateverhisnameis looked a bit too pllain and grey, but I think the black and grey mix on Hasnro one seems a bit too busy.

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Does anyone not like the look of him? His oversized head and narrowish upper torso makes him look like a robot boy. His proportions look a bit better in the sketches. But i suppose that's how he always looked.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    So while the TakaraTOMY version is nicer, the other thing to consider is value for money. If you think it's worth paying an additional $340 for more G1-accurate colours and a toy-accurate face on Fortress, then go nuts. But for those of us who aren't that fussed, then we can enjoy saving that money (which we would likely spend on more toys ).
    Hmmm, I think that $340 saving relies on getting a decent price (read PC's price) here, and seeing as how Premium Collectibles only had a limited run at the $160 price, the local price seems to be limited to $249 at the lowest. Granted 'if' the TAKTOM one is $500 that's still twice the price.

If I'd known there would be such a huge disparity between Premium Collectibles price and discounted retail I might have got one, but at the moment

Considering Fort max isn't even a complete new mold, and just a remolded Metroplex I find myself agreeing with some of the previous discussions about the cost of this toy compared to Metroplex. As such I think I'll save the whole $500 and not get either Fort Metroplex.

Quote Originally Posted by Smint View Post
    Does anyone not like the look of him? His oversized head and narrowish upper torso makes him look like a robot boy. His proportions look a bit better in the sketches. But i suppose that's how he always looked.
    He looks like the old toy, and that's the appeal. Based on my impressions from reviews and my experience with the Metroplex mold it's based on, the whole draw is based on having a modern (though not necessarily improved) version of the old toy.

HLJ still has him listed up for pre-order at 20,000yen, which converts to roughly $280 before shipping if anyone is still looking for one. Not as cheap as NY and AE, but still well below the RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    I wonder why hasbro always messes up everything.
    The Takara version look 100x better. More true to the original.
    i think CW bruticus and computron at least show this isn't true. I don't think TT of either is objectively better, just different. I don't really have a preference or interest here but they just seem different to me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    i think CW bruticus and computron at least show this isn't true. I don't think TT of either is objectively better, just different. I don't really have a preference or interest here but they just seem different to me so far.
    Actually, one could objectively argue that the TakaraTOMY version of those two sets are better because TakaraTOMY invested more into retooling them to make them look more G1 accurate, whereas it could be argued that Hasbro took a more "minimal effort" approach in their sets.

I have no personal objection with Hasbro's versions. I'm fine w/ my CW Bruticus as having Blast Off as a fighter jet logically makes more sense than being a space shuttle (although I completely understand the nostalgia appeal of the shuttle). The main thing that bugged me about CW Computron is the lack of any retooling on the gestalt head. Keeping the faceplate there just makes it look too much like Superion. I wouldn't have minded so much if CW Superion had a more toy-accurate looking head that was straight up repainted as Computron, because it wouldn't look so different. It's the show-accurate faceplate that makes it look too distinctively Superion for me.

And I'm also happy w/ my CW Defensor because I really like how my CW Groove is more in scale with the other Protectobots rather than being a giant motorcycle that's taller than all the others! And it also means that the new member (Rook) has a more useful role compared to say Alpha Bravo or Off-Road who are just the fifth wheel/Green Arrow of their respective teams. Also, Hasbro's making a LOT more effort than they were a few years ago. At least each redeco is a new character instead of umpteen repaints of the same character! It's not as if we have...
    * Combiner Wars Silverbolt
    * Combiner Wars Night Attack Silverbolt
    * Combiner Wars Stealth Silverbolt
    * Combiner Wars Sonic Boom Silverbolt
    * Combiner Wars Fusion Silverbolt
    * Combiner Wars Magna Commander Silverbolt
    * Combiner Wars High School Formal Silverbolt
    ...because it wasn't all that long ago that our shelves were clogged with these kinds of pointless repaints. Remember when walking into the Transformers section of stores used to be like this:

Pepperidge Farm remembers

Some people have criticised recent redecos like Combiner Wars Hound. But you know what, Combiner Wars Hound isn't massively clogging up pegs like so many of those meaningless repaints did (most notoriously Bumblebee but there were others too).

Finally the sword reveal:

cool so the sword breaks into 3 parts?
    Smallest handle for Fortress, then a Medium sized one (for who?) and the full size for the big guy.