Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 717222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Maz's Articles & Reviews

Nice article, I feel the + line is getting more hate then it deserves given end of the day it is really directed at the japan domestic market, esp when you see the color scheme / shades are from the JP series which is dramatically more saturated and lighter in tone compared to the western release.

What the + line does is giving people more options which is good for collectors.

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Burnout

One of the dangers of becoming very involved in a hobby or pastime, for those who invest in it more than just casually and dedicate a lot of their free (or not!) time to such a pursuit, is burnout. The source of such feelings can vary from financial constraints to over-indulgence, or from letting lines of reality become blurred. Someone who collects, discusses, participates and enjoys Transformers is every bit as susceptible to these feelings as a stamp collector or car enthusiast. For me personally, such feelings can arise from all of the above circumstances combined, or any single one in isolation. The result can be an extended period of time away from the hobby, disenchantment with the hobby and the fan community or re-assessment of priorities and time spent indulging in what should have always been an exercise in leisure.

Burnout | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    One of the dangers of becoming very involved in a hobby or pastime, for those who invest in it more than just casually and dedicate a lot of their free (or not!) time to such a pursuit, is burnout. The source of such feelings can vary from financial constraints to over-indulgence, or from letting lines of reality become blurred. Someone who collects, discusses, participates and enjoys Transformers is every bit as susceptible to these feelings as a stamp collector or car enthusiast. For me personally, such feelings can arise from all of the above circumstances combined, or any single one in isolation. The result can be an extended period of time away from the hobby, disenchantment with the hobby and the fan community or re-assessment of priorities and time spent indulging in what should have always been an exercise in leisure.

Burnout | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ
    All the best
    Maz
    imo when / if it becomes a chore and the joy of toy is diminish then its time to take a break, many tend to get overly sensitive and sometimes can forget these are toys, have fun, enjoy and be happy

Default 1987 Autobot Movie Targetmasters

In 1986, the writers of the animated Transformers movie might have slaughtered a gallery of fan favourite characters, but they also introduced the likes of Hot Rod, Springer, Arcee, Ultra Magnus, Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge and Unicron who have all become extremely popular. In fact, one could argue that Hot Rod, Cyclonus and Scourge – along with Blurr and Kup – were so popular that Hasbro felt the need to re-release those Generation 1 figures again in 1987 as Targetmasters. So, they are in a way the first Transformers reissues. Having already looked at the new-for-87 characters that became Targetmasters (Autobots and Decepticons), this week we look at Targetmaster Hot Rod, Kup and Blurr, the 1987 Autobot Movie Targetmasters.

1987 Autobot Movie Targetmasters | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default MP 2016 - Flawed Beauties?

Masterpiece Laserwave, Ramjet and Ratchet are here (mostly). The line has obviously evolved not just from where it started in 2003 with MP-1, the ultimate expression of a G1 Optimus Prime, but also since the reboot of MP-10 Convoy. Different designers from the same team have been allowed to make their mark on the flagship Transformers toy series, and the MP offerings in 2016 have pleased some more than others. We’ve already looked at MP-27 Ironhide and MP-28 Hot Rodimus in detail on this blog, so this week allows us a brief look at Ramjet, Ratchet and Laserwave, examining some pros and cons of each figure.

Masterpiece 2016 – Flawed Beauties? | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

I knew Sean Meece as the Beast Wars guy, or the outdoor Transformers photo guy. With a seemingly endless array of incredible outdoor locations, both natural and man-made at his disposal, Sean has rapidly become known online for sharing great photos of his vast and varied collection whilst on his travels. I first became aware of Sean thanks to his excellent Beast era Transformers collection that he showcased on TFW2005, and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him better over the last year, at the same time appreciating the depth and passion he has in his collecting. A huge supporter of my own work and an genuine Transformers fan, I now know Sean as that excellent photographer guy whose passion and admirable attitude towards the hobby is something we could all aspire to.

Collector Interview 47 – Sean Meece | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Good Enough

Remember back when if you wanted a character in the Transformers universe as a toy in your collection, chances were that you had a single choice for that toy? You either made do with what you were given for Broadside, or you went without. Or you made your own. Nowadays, with multiple aesthetics, scales and companies in the mix, one can be decidedly more picky about which representation of a Transformers character they settle on for their collection. Even if there’s nothing presently on the horizon, the current state of the scene encourages patience. Or does it? We ask our contributors this week if due to the increased amount of Transformers product, are they much happier to pass on something that isn’t perfect compared to the past? Is ‘good enough’ not good enough any more?

Good Enough | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Collector Interview 48 - Marian Hilditch

For some time now I’ve wanted to introduce more diversity into our collector interviews, but of course that depends on the responses we get, and seeing the many high end vintage collections in our features so far can deter some from contributing. Not so Marian Hilditch. It’s with great pleasure that this month we feature someone whose path into the hobby does not follow the oft-described vintage route. Although Marian has a relationship with G1 Transformers, it was IDW’s Transformers comics that gave her access to Transformers toy collecting. In addition to being a phenomenal photographer and regular podcast contributor, Marian has a very specific theme for her TF collection based on her interests. Marian’s passion for IDW-based comic characters shines through in her exploits online, her excellence behind the lens and her words below.

Collector Interview 48 – Marian Hilditch | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

I’ve been looking forward to this ever since he agreed, I know you have too. So here it is, Thew’s Awesome TFSource Collector Interview (interthew?)!! Matthew Adams has become well loved and well known in the Transformers community thanks to his unique, entertaining and justifiably-named ”awesome” YouTube reviews. In this interview, Thew’s responses channel that same infectious energy, positivity and delirious love he has for Transformers that you’ve come to expect from him on YT. From an epic Skywarp shelf to a gallery of gifted beauties, Thew takes us through his eclectic mix of lines and styles.

Collector Interview 49 – Matthew “Thew” Adams | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Dia-Battles V2

Diaclone was launched in Japan by Takara in 1980, the same year I was born. And that’s where my childhood association with Diaclone ends, as growing up in the UK it was primarily Transformers that had my attention. Trickles of Diaclone-based figures did reach the UK but in London I saw neither sight nor sound of them. In addition to Japan and Asia, countries like France, Italy, Holland, Germany and some Scandinavian territories had Diaclone toys on shelves. Like many current Diaclone fans outside of Asia, my access to it came via Transformers and the exploration of their origins (and ancestral variants) within Diaclone and other such pre-Transformers toy lines. With the 30th anniversary of the line passing seemingly without a sound, it was a wonderful and unexpected surprise to see TakaraTomy announce a reboot of Diaclone in 2015, and the first figure from that line has just seen release. This is the magnificent DA-01 Dia-Battles V2 and its co-release, the more limited DA-01EX Dia-Battles V2 Prototype.

The Return Of Diaclone – Dia-Battles V2 | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz