0 0%
  • Hellwarp custom

3 60.00%
  • Helblast OC

2 40.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP Needs Name

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    How about something original like Sturmjäger (German for "storm hunter")?
    Nice. Anymore suggestions? The poll is really just to get an idea.

Names don't have to be related to alt mode. They can be related to abilities (e.g. Mirage, Skywarp, Thundercracker etc.) or completely unrelated to either. Another idea may be to draw names from mythology (e.g. Minerva, Bacchus etc.). Of course, this is also dependent on the gender of the character, but some suggestions may be (and I'm assuming that s/he's going to be a villain)...

(male):
    * Erebus (or Scotus) - god of darkness
    * Phobetor - god of nightmares. The word "phobia" comes from this name.
    * Fenrir - wolf-demon son of Loki

(female):
    * Achlus (or Achlys) - demon goddess of the eternal-night
    * Nox (or Nyx) - goddess of the night. The word "nocturnal" is cognate with this name.
    * Proserpina (or Persephone) - goddess of the underworld, wife of Hades/Pluto.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    I thought Hellwarp was a repaint of thrilling 30 Skybyte?
    Ooops, yep, you are correct Hellwarp still sounds cool though
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

You know up until this point I hadn't even considered gender, and there's some really good names getting thrown around

Most TF names are gender neutral - e.g. Strongarm and Strongarm etc.
    There's no inherent reason why Starscream, Hellwarp etc. can't be assigned to female characters as many of these are comprised of gender-neutral words. It's only really relevant when using gendered-names or words.

Having said that, "Ultra Magnus" is a contradiction in gender as 'ultra' is feminine while 'magnus' is masculine. Grammatically speaking it should either be "Ulter Magnus" (m.) or "Ultra Magna" (f.). Or maybe Magnus' original load-bearing little 'bot was female.

When I tell Japanese people that Ultra is feminine, the typical immediate response I get is, "So Ultraman..." So yeah, Ultraman would be more accurately called Ulterman (just as Superman is Superman... although Supergirl should be called "Supragirl" ).

Of course, one way to avoid this whole word-gender mess may be to simply choose a language whose nomenclature are genderless. Like English, although it may not have the same ring to it. e.g. "Ulter Magnus" would be "Very Big" and Superman would be "Above man" in English. But there are other more exotic languages which may not have gendered nomenclature, like Greek. Hyperman and Hypergirl should both work AFAIK. I think Ulter Magnus would be "Acromegalo."

Or make combinations of different languages, as Hasbro has done with names like "Omega Supreme."
    Omega = Greek
    Supreme = Latin via French

wingblade? given his/her wings look like some sort of hand to hand combat blades. I know a heap of people keep calling windblade, wingblade but I'm pretty sure it would be an original name.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    wingblade? given his/her wings look like some sort of hand to hand combat blades. I know a heap of people keep calling windblade, wingblade but I'm pretty sure it would be an original name.
    The flying brick that combined with energon prime was a wingblade, it's a good fit but I also like some of the ones that Goktimus has been throwing around, especially using German and Latin but leaning towards German.

Nacht Vox = Night Voice
    Hache Lied = Axe Song
    Nacht Lied = Night Song

And jet mode as promised (stabilizers to be added!)

Helblast05 by Nathan Soehardi, on Flickr