Thread: Removing Foldmarks on Posters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Removing Foldmarks on Posters

Removing folds off posters does anybody have any tips on how to do this? Ive been eye balling some TF posters (DW era) and well soem of the ones I want and only ones available I might add are folded... these have been dwindling in supplies and with the price cheap I dont wanna miss out but I know Ill have to deal with the fold marks coz they will send the item folded instead of rolled - stated in the ebay literature of the item... any help would be appreciated.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

In my experience, if they have been folded at all there is typically permanent damage and there is little you can do about that.

However, if they have not been excessively folded, you can make them look almost new by placing them completely flat and putting weight on the folds. Even after weeks of this however they will still not hold up to close inspection. I have a Empire Strike Back poster which I have been storing flat with weight for 15 years and even though it looks good, you can still tell it was once folded.

What about using a cool iron? Cool as in able to touch it without burning yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    What about using a cool iron? Cool as in able to touch it without burning yourself.
    I was going to say do something like this but put a sheet over it first

Would this also work for Instructions and product catalogues? Some of mine are bent and would like to flatten them out again.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    I suggest to try it on a pamphlet or some other paper of similar material before using it on a poster you value. You don't want to experiment with something you can't replace.

Warm iron + tea towel (preferably a clean one )

I had such a poster and took it to a pro framer asking the same question. He said my only option was to glue it down to the mounting board behind it. Which is fine if it's permanent, not so good if it's not.