Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192434 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

I ran across this & I thought you guys might get a kick out of it... (Some people are beyond help )

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    I ran across this & I thought you guys might get a kick out of it... (Some people are beyond help )
    Hmmm.. Only in Japan..

North Melbourne-bot...?

piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 29th.

Amazing Spider-Man #575 - I really dug Bachalo's art back when he did that Mayan diety arc, I'm glad to see him back drawing for the new Hammerhead arc. Fun enjoyable issue, well paced, good writing and of course lovely art, definitely looking forward to next issue. Also jeez I really like the cover for this issue, I'd kill for a poster sized print of this (please Marvel please!).

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (35) - We finally get to find out who's behind the mask, Jackpot that is. Wow what an issue, what a dissapointing issue. Big revelation is that Jackpot ...
    /SPOILER/OD's at the end, yep she just carks it at the end. Yeah what a way to kill her off. I know she was just some Brand New Day floozy but still I was expecting something more out of her character, dissapointing indeed. Issue ends with hints that Sarah might take up on the role as Jackpot./END SPOILER/

Avengers: The Initiatve #18 - Another jam packed issue. Back following the new Skrull Kill Krew and their Initiative team road trip taking out sleeper agents. I'm glad we're seeing some older graduates, Cloud 9 to be more precise though I must admit I do miss the naive strawberry panty wearing Abby that we got to know.

Giant-Size X-Men: First Class #1 - And we wrap up volume two of X-Men: First Class with a giant-size. Well this is one mediocre forgetful issue, evil plants and UFOs. The only thing I enjoyed out of this giant-size was the cooky Xavier short. Oh and please don't throw in some stupid Skrull secret invasion fluff at the end. Dissapointing end for such an enjoyable run.

Immortal Iron Fist #19 - Ahh always nice to see the other immortal weapons again. "Fat Cobra. Deadly. Fat." Brilliant writing or brilliant writing?. Other then that it feels like not much progress was made in this issue, we're left with a cliched cliffhanger.

Secret Invasion: Thor #3 - And with this we wrap up the Secret Invasion: Thor mini series. Story unfolded like any other Secret Invasion tie in but it's forgiven as Thor is seriously badass in this. I know the way they dealt with the super Skrull was extremely overkill but my god was it an awesome way to kill her off.

Secret Invasion: X-Men #3 - Boring. Ugly. Forgetful. Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four was my least favourite Secret Invasion mini series but this might take that spot. One more issue left for this, let's see what comes out of this.

Thor #11 - It's been how long since we've had an issue of Thor? Well it was worth the wait. Talking to Captain America, only JMS with Thor can pull that off without turning out like some cheap thrill. Oh and Thor walking down the side of a satellite, very cool. Once again another solid issue of Thor.

Wolverine: First Class #8 - Second part of the Zone of Alienation story. Typical First Class fluff here. This whole story was pretty average, I mean I liked that bonus short at the end more then this whole thing, then again I have a soft spot for Colleen Coover's art.

X-Force #8 - A bit more light hearted compared to the previous X-Force issues. Here we have the team hunting Vanisher which is quite a fun read, I really liked the hospital scene. Also nice to see Domino and I wonder if Elixir will end up staying as permanet or semi-permanent member of the team. I'm liking where X-Force is heading, sure the gruesome grim dark opening arc looked lovely but I must admit it was a bit hard to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    Secret Invasion: X-Men #3 - Boring. Ugly. Forgetful. Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four was my least favourite Secret Invasion mini series but this might take that spot. One more issue left for this, let's see what comes out of this.
    I quite enjoyed it actually. I am looking forward to the final part just to see how far Summers will go.

Thor #11 - It's been how long since we've had an issue of Thor? Well it was worth the wait. Talking to Captain America, only JMS with Thor can pull that off without turning out like some cheap thrill. Oh and Thor walking down the side of a satellite, very cool. Once again another solid issue of Thor.
    Oh this was a DAMN good issue. I kept expecting the "ghost" to be some evil thing that was having a go at Thor, but it was the genuine article, and the dialogue was superbly written.

And what Thor did to honour him, very moving and very well done.

Speaking of Secret Invasion, have you heard Burn that final issue (#8) got delayed until December 3rd! I think I recall hearing something about it being a double sized issue as well?

Boo-urns is all I can say.

I actually follow very little in the way of comic news, just read whatever comes out.

I think the delay will be fine as it will allow them to (hopefully) finish up all the tie-ins.

But at this point, how would you rate Secret Invasion?

Personally, i've enjoyed most of it. Rushed in some places, stalled in others, but overall it's been a pretty good arc. And Marvel have done a pretty good job with non-SI titles to keep me occupied.

Sadly, DC and their Final Crisis is severly lacking with it only really igniting my interest with the Rise of the Red Lanterns. (Bring on Blackest Night!)

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    I actually follow very little in the way of comic news, just read whatever comes out.

I think the delay will be fine as it will allow them to (hopefully) finish up all the tie-ins.

But at this point, how would you rate Secret Invasion?

Personally, i've enjoyed most of it. Rushed in some places, stalled in others, but overall it's been a pretty good arc. And Marvel have done a pretty good job with non-SI titles to keep me occupied.

Sadly, DC and their Final Crisis is severly lacking with it only really igniting my interest with the Rise of the Red Lanterns. (Bring on Blackest Night!)
    Delays are inevitable with the two major companies these days and that's partially a function of the fact that fans do not care about when the product is delivered. And they're part of the problem b/c the companies only redress that issue if fans care. It makes little difference to me these days.

SI for me is just hype and no story. Its got its twists and turns but really its no different to any of Marvels other crossovers. It's built on marketing and not substance.

But I agree, Blackest Night is something I anticipate!

EDIT:
    Just read Captain America #39 nad #40 (yes, I'm behind!) but damn those are two fast and heavy issues. Bloody Sin! I wanted to slap her out myself. I think its been awhile since I've reacted to an ending. I'm normally just interested/curious but this time I felt my heart strings tugged!
    Last edited by STL; 3rd November 2008 at 12:11 AM.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Secret Invasion has been a fun read, the central series that is, looking forward to the hardcover whenever that might be due. The tie ins and miniseries' however have been pretty average or just plain filler (looking at Mighty Avengers direction here).

I'm with STL here, it's been all hype and build up but it just hasn't been able to deliver the goods yet, of course this could all change with the final issue; eight. Hoping for some big ramifications and a good shake up to the Marvel status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    Hoping for some big ramifications and a good shake up to the Marvel status quo.
    I'm really sick of changes to the status quo and the constant cycle of crossover/aftermath/lead-in-to-next-crossover that Marvel's been stuck in for years.

I'm a diehard X-Men fan but it was status-quo changes that made me stop collecting those comics back in 1998. One too many. They won me back but while I understand why they do it (events/reboots sell comics) it annoys me.

House of M was alright story (but one that had been done before) and Decimation was a disaster (and a story done before!). I'm glad that the X-Men have mostly been left out of Secret Invasion since the X-Men did that story 100 issues ago anyway.

has anyone ever read "the lost books of Eve" ?

If i had the money i would buy the "complete cartoons of the New Yorker" bloody book costs $200