Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1828333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    If caught importing I'm sure they'll just confiscate it before reaching your hands. If you are in possession of an illegal firearm and get caught I'm not so sure they'd go lightly on you. It could be minor but why take the risk when you can just obtain a permit?
    I got robbed when living in Northcote and when the cops came (two guys in their 30s) I think they spent just as much time checking out my TF collection as they did writing a report. Reissue G1 Megatron and MP Megatron were both on prominent display and they didn't remotely care.

In the rural community I live in now, as I said I'm probably the only guy that doesn't own a real gun. No copper is going to care whatsoever about some toy gun in a dudes shed.

I can understand your concerns and if you wanna play it safe then more power to ya. But no policeman is going to arrest you and no court is going to throw you in jail for owning a toy - period. Will never, ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I got robbed when living in Northcote and when the cops came (two guys in their 30s) I think they spent just as much time checking out my TF collection as they did writing a report. Reissue G1 Megatron and MP Megatron were both on prominent display and they didn't remotely care.

In the rural community I live in now, as I said I'm probably the only guy that doesn't own a real gun. No copper is going to care whatsoever about some toy gun in a dudes shed.

I can understand your concerns and if you wanna play it safe then more power to ya. But no policeman is going to arrest you and no court is going to throw you in jail for owning a toy - period. Will never, ever happen.
    Right back at ya. If you want to fly under the radar then more power to you. You got lucky but others not so;

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...1&postcount=44

I had A plastic pellet gun from the 80's, didn't work it was my grandad's I kept it after He passed,police seen it in my house, got arrested ,Queens Council + Solicitor + lot of $$$ later,got a 2 year good behaviour bond plus a bunch of fines! And now I have an Unauthorised possession of a firearm on my record because I had no idea a toy from the 80's Could Cause so much Grief

Yeah the cops just made a random visit to his place, happened to find a plastic pellet gun from the 80s, and suddenly arrested and fines and court etc etc...

Why were they there in the first place? Why did a 20-30yo pellet gun raise such a reaction when noticed? Who leaves such items just laying about if expecting police presence? If unexpected, did they have a warrant to search the property?

So much detail left out of that one its not funny. I reckon I could invent a better story in my sleep.

Also, I went to another shop today and found more prohibited weapons! Thought I'd dual wield this time - ain't got time for reloading

www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

Pretty certain a cap gun can cause more damage than MP-36
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    Yeah the cops just made a random visit to his place, happened to find a plastic pellet gun from the 80s, and suddenly arrested and fines and court etc etc...

Why were they there in the first place? Why did a 20-30yo pellet gun raise such a reaction when noticed? Who leaves such items just laying about if expecting police presence? If unexpected, did they have a warrant to search the property?

So much detail left out of that one its not funny. I reckon I could invent a better story in my sleep.

Also, I went to another shop today and found more prohibited weapons! Thought I'd dual wield this time - ain't got time for reloading

All you are doing is trying to convince yourself that it's ok to own a prohibited weapon without any consequences. Ill quote tiby from the previous page because it seems to have gone unnoticed;

There is no point arguing about it being a toy, what it looks like, that there are other similar things on the market/Reject Shop/Easter Show, etc. The law is clear on this.

The law isn't clear on this, that is the issue.
    They pick and choose what they want to pursue and what they're happy to let slide.
    Borge's photos highlight perfectly the absolute pointlessness of said laws.
    And the only reason they probably chose to apply it to MP5 was the thought of wrangling more money from people that can afford to shell out $200 for a toy.

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Those toy guns are simply imported from China in massive shopping containers, along with 99% of things you find in $2 shops. But how they get through customs i have no idea. They'd be in trouble with the police if someone can bother to report them. But i think many people dont even know toy guns like this are considered illegal.

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    I just want the handcuffs. Don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    All you are doing is trying to convince yourself that it's ok to own a prohibited weapon without any consequences. Ill quote tiby from the previous page because it seems to have gone unnoticed;
    Nah, I know the risks, just like I know the risks when I jaywalk, or do 104 in a 100 zone, or who knows what other generic thing I do that probably breaks some law. I know there are consequences in theory, just like I know in theory I could get t-boned by a truck driving to work on a given day. I'm applying common sense to the situation at hand in Victoria, and paying $190 every 3 years to own a $200 toy, on top of all the expenses of a lockable case and barred windows, is not a common sense decision.

As for the law itself, the fact that I can cross some imaginary line to go from Victoria to South Australia, and suddenly the toy gun I possess goes from being illegal to being legal, is in itself proof of the stupidity of the law. I am being denied the right to freely possess that toy in my house while fellow Australians can enjoy that luxury because of what, geography? Is an imitation weapon less of a threat in SA or WA?

As I said, common sense is severely lacking in this thread.
    www.mariokart64.com

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    I just want the handcuffs. Don't ask.
    But I get to keep the keys
    www.mariokart64.com