Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20303536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...ab00d4ab29e5ee

Call of Duty fanboy found with imitation guns in his possession without a permit facing up to 20 years imprisonment.

“Simply saying he is a fanboy and into science fiction, reads comic books and is nerd doesn’t show cause as to why he should be released from custody,” Mr Davis said."

He was selling them online. If he just put them up in his house, nobody would have known.

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    There's absolutely no chance that I'm going to risk a heavy fine, possible jail term, and a criminal record, for a toy. I'm jumping through whatever hoop it takes to stay legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    A jail term? You really think they will throw you in jail for importing a toy?

Seen the statistics for repeat-stalkers being let out on bail? No one will give a crap if you don't draw attention to it. Bigger fish for them to fry.

Right back at ya. If you want to fly under the radar then more power to you. You got lucky but others not so;

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...1&postcount=44
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    Yeah the cops just made a random visit to his place, happened to find a plastic pellet gun from the 80s, and suddenly arrested and fines and court etc etc...

Why were they there in the first place? Why did a 20-30yo pellet gun raise such a reaction when noticed? Who leaves such items just laying about if expecting police presence? If unexpected, did they have a warrant to search the property?

So much detail left out of that one its not funny. I reckon I could invent a better story in my sleep.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...ab00d4ab29e5ee

Call of Duty fanboy found with imitation guns in his possession without a permit facing up to 20 years imprisonment.

“Simply saying he is a fanboy and into science fiction, reads comic books and is nerd doesn’t show cause as to why he should be released from custody,” Mr Davis said."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurmus View Post
    He was selling them online. If he just put them up in his house, nobody would have known.
    D-Boy. We appreciate your passion on this subject. You've made some decent points and the last story you posted was interesting. But quoting stories where all the detail is left out, or otherwise very pertinent facts such as 'he was trying to sell them online' are not mentioned does not serve to convince others of your arguments.

A lot of members here have a different opinion than you do. Not saying your opinion is wrong and as I said, more power to ya. But scare-mongering talk about people going to jail for importing the toy or being found with it in their house, along half-truth stories will not serve to further your cause. Nor will it convince people who have had real life experiences where police have not cared and (admittedly luckily) customs did not bother with their toy etc etc.

We are a friendly online community, but often a pedantic one - we demand details and we fact-check stuff

However any similar stories you come across I would be more than happy to read. I just need to know the whole story when reading them

D-Boy. We appreciate your passion on this subject. You've made some decent points and the last story you posted was interesting. But quoting stories where all the detail is left out, or otherwise very pertinent facts such as 'he was trying to sell them online' are not mentioned does not serve to convince others of your arguments.

A lot of members here have a different opinion than you do. Not saying your opinion is wrong and as I said, more power to ya. But scare-mongering talk about people going to jail for importing the toy or being found with it in their house, along half-truth stories will not serve to further your cause. Nor will it convince people who have had real life experiences where police have not cared and (admittedly luckily) customs did not bother with their toy etc etc.

We are a friendly online community, but often a pedantic one - we demand details and we fact-check stuff

However any similar stories you come across I would be more than happy to read. I just need to know the whole story when reading them
    Fair enough Trev I just thought it was interesting read regarding imitation weapons and the discussion in this thread.

Fair enough Trev I just thought it was interesting read regarding imitation weapons and the discussion in this thread.
    It's all good mate. Your various points here, along with what Tiby has stated, has served to make me take extra precautions when importing the upcoming figure rather than just trusting to luck so you've probably done me a favour

Is the Megatron club in NSW actually taking new members? I tried emailing them with no response yet

edit: Got a response! hooray.
    Last edited by Koroboo; 27th March 2017 at 08:42 PM.

Ha haha! HLJ I could kiss you!

Hello-

This is ****** at HobbyLink Japan. Thank you very much for your order with us for Takara-Tomy's Transformers Masterpiece MP-36 Megatron. We anticipate starting to fill orders for this item on or about April 3 Japan time.

This toy will be packaged in robot mode. However, it can be transformed into a realistic-looking likeness of a gun, which we understand is also pictured on this item's packaging. As a result, for customers in the United States and Australia, HobbyLink Japan will be placing a plastic orange plug into the end of the barrel in order to keep this toy in compliance with Title 15, Chapter 76 of the United States Code.

Installing this plug on the item will require our staff to open the packaging, which will require cutting the tape holding the box flap closed. This will be performed with the utmost care, but of course it will prevent us from delivering this product to U.S. and Australian customers in "unopened" condition. Note that without this modification, your purchase could be confiscated by your country's customs service, and U.S. customers could be charged with a crime under the above U.S. Federal law.

HobbyLink Japan understands and appreciates the desires of toy collectors in the U.S. and Australia related to merchandise of this nature, and we feel this is the best solution to meet those needs under the circumstances. In order to maintain your item's compliance with your country's laws, we recommend that you do not remove the plastic plug after you have received the item.

We appreciate your understanding, and your business with us.

Best Regards,

HobbyLink Japan

I don't give a rats that they have to open the box - HLJ just saved me a ton of hassles and it sounds as if the plug can be easily removed

Not that I will Mr. Government Importation guy reading this, I totally wont

Quote Originally Posted by Koroboo View Post
    Is the Megatron club in NSW actually taking new members? I tried emailing them with no response yet

edit: Got a response! hooray.
    Sorry Koroboo - I was on a short holiday and signal was patchy.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Ha haha! HLJ I could kiss you!

Hello-

This is ****** at HobbyLink Japan. Thank you very much for your order with us for Takara-Tomy's Transformers Masterpiece MP-36 Megatron. We anticipate starting to fill orders for this item on or about April 3 Japan time.

This toy will be packaged in robot mode. However, it can be transformed into a realistic-looking likeness of a gun, which we understand is also pictured on this item's packaging. As a result, for customers in the United States and Australia, HobbyLink Japan will be placing a plastic orange plug into the end of the barrel in order to keep this toy in compliance with Title 15, Chapter 76 of the United States Code.

Installing this plug on the item will require our staff to open the packaging, which will require cutting the tape holding the box flap closed. This will be performed with the utmost care, but of course it will prevent us from delivering this product to U.S. and Australian customers in "unopened" condition. Note that without this modification, your purchase could be confiscated by your country's customs service, and U.S. customers could be charged with a crime under the above U.S. Federal law.

HobbyLink Japan understands and appreciates the desires of toy collectors in the U.S. and Australia related to merchandise of this nature, and we feel this is the best solution to meet those needs under the circumstances. In order to maintain your item's compliance with your country's laws, we recommend that you do not remove the plastic plug after you have received the item.

We appreciate your understanding, and your business with us.

Best Regards,

HobbyLink Japan

I don't give a rats that they have to open the box - HLJ just saved me a ton of hassles and it sounds as if the plug can be easily removed

Not that I will Mr. Government Importation guy reading this, I totally wont
    Completely unnecessary, for NSW at least. An orange plug will NOT stop Customs from seizing it without the right permit. Lumping us in with the US is wrong.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

HLJ’s intentions are noble but misguided for Australia. As they said in their message, the law requiring orange plugs to be placed in the barrel is an American law. Australia has no such laws. With or without the orange plug, the toy will still be seen as an imitation firearm. When I brought in my MP05 he had no orange plug, and never required one. Putting an orange plug in MP36 will NOT make the toy any easier to import. You or whoever is importing him will still require a B709 form to get him through customs and you still need to comply with whatever firearms law your State has.