Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456781323 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

I wonder if putting a neat small blob of putty like blu-tack over the rub sign would help seal it from the effects of HP. But I have no idea how HP would react to blu-tack. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
    I wonder if putting a neat small blob of putty like blu-tack over the rub sign would help seal it from the effects of HP. But I have no idea how HP would react to blu-tack. Just an idea.
    In my experience, bluetak discolors plastic when in contact with it for a long period of time. However I have no idea what the effect of it with Hydrogen Peroxide would be.

Well I guess the idea would be to not have the blu-tack covering any plastic, just a square shaped blob the size of a rub-sign as a base.

How blue-tak effects the rub-sign, I wouldn't think it would do much but it would probably be a lot better than having it immerse in HP.

Final result on Vroom. I must say that all of the yellow on his chest and head is gone! I am thrilled by the results!

Right now I have the back of his lower legs on H2O2 mainly out of being pedantic since the only yellowed area are the tiny side fins. I will assemble him together later tonight or tomorrow if they need a bit of time.

In the mean time I will let the shell dry and then peel of the worn stickers as they look horrible.

it's looking really good. Can't wait to see the final result!

Final pic with Vroom assembled and some paint chips touched up:

A bit of bad lighting but I will try to take a better pic under natural light.

The rest of the gallery can be found here:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...763#post154763

nice nice! How did you touch up the scratched up gold parts?

Couple of things I've found in my experiments with H2O2:

Blue, red and purple plastics (maybe others) tend to bleach if left in too long - an hour or two in a jar of 35% strength in the sun is plenty.

35% H2O2 doesn't seem to damage stickers, bizarrely. I've chucked a few G1 figures in the good stuff for several hours and found it's had little to no affect on the decals, when I was expecting them to turn to mush.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    nice nice! How did you touch up the scratched up gold parts?
    I have a gold 'Gundam Marker' paint men that matches it close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHandsomeCrab View Post
    Couple of things I've found in my experiments with H2O2:

Blue, red and purple plastics (maybe others) tend to bleach if left in too long - an hour or two in a jar of 35% strength in the sun is plenty.

35% H2O2 doesn't seem to damage stickers, bizarrely. I've chucked a few G1 figures in the good stuff for several hours and found it's had little to no affect on the decals, when I was expecting them to turn to mush.
    I have seen this recently on a blue toy but it doesn't seem apply to all plastic of that color. My severely discolored Dogfight managed to regain its blue very nicely but my yellowed Aimless didn't fare as well.

Aimless ended up with a washed out blue which is arguably better than the 'yellowed' color but still looks off. What I found interesting was that the back of him which was unaffected by yellowing maintained its natural blue despite being submerged in the H2O2.