Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242939 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

So who else saw "The Bells of Saint John" tonight? Thoughts?

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

- remember that you can watch this on ABC iView if you missed out! -

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

The mystery of Clara Oswald thickens - she certainly is unlike any of the Doctor's previous companions. It seems that the writers are attempting to "outdo" Amy Pond in terms of saddling the Doctor up with a character of immense pre-destined universal importance. Part of me kinda misses the old days when the Doctor's companions were often just ordinary folks who happened to do extraordinary things and become extraordinary people through their adventures with the Doctor... rather than having it all be pre-ordained. Having everything being set kinda takes the fun out of it. :/

But on the other hand, it is kinda interesting to see this Clara Oswald make links with the previous one. It's almost as if the Eleventh incarnation of the Doctor is meeting the third incarnation of Clara Oswald (well, second incarnation considering that Oswin was from the future... wibbly wobbly... ). The Great Intelligence is back as the principal villain, a character that the Doctor actually first encountered in his Second incarnation ("The Web of Fear", 1967/8), but from the Great Intelligence's POV, it first encountered the Eleventh Doctor in Victorian England ("The Snowmen"). I'm not sure why I feel this way... I mean, previously they had Amy's crack (in the wall) recur across multiple episodes, then the image of the lady appearing with the eyepatch on... and yeah, it's cool in that it creates this massive epic, "Oooh, so that's why--!" feeling at the end of the series with the big reveal... but... I dunno... part of me misses the eps where every story wasn't necessarily intertwined with each other. Maybe because I feel that we've already had enough of it - and it was nice - but can we move back to just having a series of stand alone stories? Does every Doctor Who series have to have a recurring theme to it now??

It would seem so. Also it's a big anniversary year for Who so they're planning something big. Noticed that the spectre of Amy Pond is still floating around (it's kind of blatant.)

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Noticed that the spectre of Amy Pond is still floating around (it's kind of blatant.)
    the Amelia Williams book?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitcurlboy View Post
    the Amelia Williams book?
    Yep.

Well Amy and Rory did go back in time thanks to the Weeping Angels, and of course wrote the book "Melody Malone" for the Doctor... so evidently she continued her career as a writer of other books back in the time that she ended up living in w/ Rory.

We've seen the Doctor run around with companions who start off as ordinary people (Donna Noble, Rose Tyler). It's an interesting change have a companion who's intriguing from the start. Reminds me of the 2009 Easter special, "Planet of the Dead".

At least there doesn't seem to be any half-assed boyfriend tag-along this time. I've always felt sorry for Mickey and Rory. They never got the same love as the other companions, but then, the story was never about them.

To expand upon your comment about Amy and Rory's last episode, I think it was mentioned in an earlier ep that Amy had become a travel writer.

I bit the bullet and bought The Aztecs special edition today.
    I already have it on DVD but wanted the special edition for the Galaxy 4 reconstruction, with the recently found episode 3.
    It was a real treat watching something that's been lost for 40+ years. Some nice directorial touches in it too and it was great to see the Rills in the flesh and their base.
    I do have the Loose Canon reconstruction of this story and was struck by the similarities between thr two. I suspect there was some sharing? I didn't check the credits closely.

Tonight's episode of Doctor Who is the only one in this series that wasn't storyboarded by Andrew Wildman Here is Wildman's storyboard from last week's episode showing Clara entering and exiting the Tardis and there's a video embed down the bottom that shows how it turned out in the episode itself.