Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring damaged clear plastic

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Mask over the lines with a good low tack tape. Tamiya tape is very good.
    I have some of that. If I get some of the buffing agent then I'll give it a try.
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

Honestly guys, give it a go. You won't be disappointed, I promise you! The more coats of the Fine Scratch Remover you use the better it gets too. The first coat looks a bit foggy, the second coat looks a lot better and then the difference is staggering. I did some more coats of scratch reemover on Scorch after the photo's posted and then appllied the Novus plastic clean & shine too. It looks amazing now!

I also restored a pretty badly scratched Darkwing canopy and Red Alert windshield and they look so much better now, a million times better than they were before. If you have access to a Dremel the little circular buffing pads make buffing much easier (and more fun!). This guide is the discovery of the millenium (canned chicken's not bad though)!

Eruntalon, I can safely say you can fix that jet canopy. You'll be able to have it looking a million dollars, most likely in about 20 minutes work. 1AZRAEL1, the stuff works on just about anything but one of the things they mention on the packing is cleaning CD's so yes, it would be ideal for this purpose.

One thing I would say is to wet-sand up to 1200-1600 grade paper for an even smoother finish. I can't wait for you guys to try it though, I think you'll really be impressed!
    Last edited by Doubledealer; 29th October 2010 at 11:08 PM.

results look good.
    thanks for the link Doublebealer. i've just bought a set of novus. i'll give it a go later.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    If you have access to a Dremel the little circular buffing pads make buffing much easier (and more fun!).
    which buffing attachment did you use? cos last time i tried the buffing attachment on my dremel, it tore through my plastic, even when set on very low speeds! i ended up having to use elbow grease instead for the buffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    One thing I would say is to wet-sand up to 1200-1600 grade paper for an even smoother finish.
    so you apply 1200/1600 grit wet sandpapaer before or after buffing with novus?

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
    results look good.
    thanks for the link Doublebealer. i've just bought a set of novus. i'll give it a go later.
    Awesome, I look forward to hearing how you go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus
    which buffing attachment did you use? cos last time i tried the buffing attachment on my dremel, it tore through my plastic, even when set on very low speeds! i ended up having to use elbow grease instead for the buffing.
    Just the standard little cylinder type ones that came with the basic Dremel 300 kit. On the lowest setting (2) when I'm buffing it would offen slow the Dremel right down to the point of it stopping every now and then. I'd even do this with the G1 Red Alert windshield, as long as you have your finger supporting the underside there's no feeling that it's ever gonna break or do any damage!

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus
    So you apply 1200/1600 grit wet sandpapaer before or after buffing with novus?
    You'll be doing all the sanding prior to using the Novus liquids. You can always go back and start the process from scratch but applying the Novus liquid and buffing will always be the last steps you do for the final run.

It's a bit hard to know what it was like before as I didn't take a before shot but here's Darkwing's new canopy (which was scratched to all buggery) after applying the Sanovmel (sand-novus-dremel) treatment. The shot was taken right after finishing the process (thus the tiny water bubbles seen inside the cockpit). Not bad eh (infact this whole toy was a complete wreck when I got it, so pleased with how it looks now though!)?