Page 48 of 75 FirstFirst ... 283843444546474849505152535868 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official - MP-36 is a new Megatron

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    So no feedback on whether that draft email is likely to help or harm my case?
    That's well written out and should help your case. I used the one on the Megatron Club website but changed all MP-05 references to MP-36.

I'm so glad I went through the process to get the permit. It wasn't a pleasant process but once it was done I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Feels so good. I also want to purchase any MP-36 repaints that are done in the future without stress .

bowspearer Guest

Cheers Danny, I haven't done this before so I'd like to get things as right as I can.

Trim it down to what is most relevant - you are a long term collector of Transformers who wishes to procure MP-36 for his Masterpiece collection as Megatron is a primary figure.

There is no exemption made for replica firearms being imported for having an orange cap that I am aware of. There certainty wasn't 10 years ago when MP-5 was released.

I'd hazard that they probably won't respond to a letter like that unless it's a generic response.

If you order MP-36 and it is seized, you will need a relevant license to have it released.

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    That's well written out and should help your case. I used the one on the Megatron Club website but changed all MP-05 references to MP-36.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, I wrote it. There would have been a part about MP-5 being oversized, which isn't applicable to MP-36, but if you have the license that should be all you need.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    I put my response in the gunformers thread. Orange plug will not make a difference. In the nicest way possible, they're opening the box for nothing.
    This is unfortunately true.

The only jurisdiction I could find that even mentions the orange plug is Victoria, which clearly states that attaching a coloured barrel or handle, does not over-ride their three point checklist for determining if it needs to be licensed as an Imitation Weapon.
    Point 1 (shape/size) applies to these toys, because they replicate a handgun, and the main three that were released already are close enough with their size, to fool an ordinary person who may not know the exact size of a real gun.
    Point 2 (overall colouring) applies to this toy, because despite it using some lighter "cartoon" grey on it, the gun mode is grey and black, and not brightly coloured. And having an orange barrel plug would not make it the majority colour (the 2006 Generations Megatron is a good example of overall colouring making it look obvious that it is a toy)
    Point 3 (materials used, or materials it looks like) may not be as obvious to this particular Megatron toy as the previous ones that had chrome or metallic colour to them, but the key factor in this Point is that materials must give the immediate impression that device is not a functional weapon. Up close, it is obvious, but a couple of metres away, pointed in your direction, the dark shiny plastics of the stock, silencer and sight, would be enough doubt to make this point apply as well.

Which all means, if this is deemed to be ticking all three of those boxes without the orange barrel plug, the addition of the barrel plug should not end up changing anything, and Customs will still seize it... particularly because, they don't open the boxes (they seize the toys based on their x-ray scans and leave them sealed - at least, in my case they did), so they won't even see if it has a barrel plug anyway.
    Last edited by griffin; 30th March 2017 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, I wrote it.
    Nice work and thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Customs will still seize it... particularly because, they don't open the boxes (they seize the toys based on their x-ray scans and leave them sealed - at least, in my case they did), so they won't even see if it has a barrel plug anyway.
    Lucky you! They opened mine, and many other peoples, and wrote the case No. on the inside flap. The toy itself was still sealed in the insert tray.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

To be honest, I feel like the email is pretty long. Police Firearms are a pretty busy bunch already and I would recommend keeping it brief. If I'm not mistaken you are in essence asking what is required to purchase and keep Megatron. The first page of the gunformers page pretty much sets it out. If I'm not mistaken you live in NSW? Unfortunately you have a lot more hoops to jump.

As an example, here is the email correspondence when I enquired about MP05's status in WA and application for a B709 import permit. Names have been changed. Can I stress that this was for MP05 back in 2010.

Sent: Tuesday, 19 October 2010 10:28 AM
    To: Police Officer XX
    Subject: RE: Police Website Import Permits

Hi Police Officer XX

Please find attached B709 application.

Thanks,

Ralph Wiggum

Sent: Tuesday, 19 October 2010 10:09 AM
    To: Ralph Wiggum
    Subject: RE: Police Website Import Permits

Ralph Wiggum

Yes the firearm is considered a replica/imitation firearm and therefore, is subject to a B709 application to bring it into the country and pass through Customs. All applications are subject to assessment by myself before a permit is considered or issued. B709 application attached.

Regards

Police Officer XX
    Senior Constable
    Police Licensing Services (Firearms)
    Permits Officer

Phone (08) 92237019

Sent: Monday, 18 October 2010 11:49
    To: Police Officer XX
    Subject: FW: Police Website Import Permits

Sent: Monday, 18 October 2010 11:16
    To: Police Licensing Services SMAIL
    Subject: Police Website Import Permits

Good morning

I am going to Singapore this weekend and am thinking of bringing back a "Transformers" Megatron figurine. I'm a bit of a fan of the old Transformers cartoons from the 80's. I don't know if you're familiar with the old 80's cartoon, but the Megatron figurine "transforms" into a gun. I know Australian Customs are confiscating this figurine because in NSW it's been declared a replica gun. Do you know if WAPOL would consider this toy a replica gun, and if so, would it even be possible to bring one back? I've attached some pictures of the toy for reference, and included a B709 permit if necessary.

Regards,

Ralph Wiggum

Megatran Guest

^ Certainly helps when your dad is Chief Wiggum. (shizen hausen ... there's a Springfield in WA!)

Since he asked, at least now talyn8 has an idea of what he's in for having bought the topic of this thread from pc. I'm not the bad guy if i answered his question with more bashing of..... err.... umm... fact based on historical evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    ^ Certainly helps when your dad is Chief Wiggum. (shizen hausen ... there's a Springfield in WA!)
    Haha, I prefer to make dioramas of vintage MISB Star Wars figures