View Poll Results: Generations Skids - worth getting?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hells yeah!

22 81.48%
  • Only if...

4 14.81%
  • Na

0 0%
  • I'd rather get punched in the face by Whirl

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Skids

Default Toy Review - Generations Skids

Series - Generations
    Sub-line – Thrilling 30
    Wave - Wave 1 2014
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here – Not yet
    Approximate Retail Price - $28Aus
    Approximate Size – 14cm
    Allegiance – Autobot
    Alt-mode – Hatchback
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Design based on IDW design
    Main Colours – Blue, Grey, Red
    Main Accessories – IDW exclusive comic, Rifle, 'Amnesia' Pistol

Robot Mode

*Brilliant! So much detail from the facial expression, to the hideable shoulder missile racks, to the well proportioned body. Skids is armed to the teeth with shoulder cannons, guns on each arm, a pistol, a rifle and the aforementioned missile racks. The original Skids hands were covered in guns so nice they have recreated that here. He is a brilliant representation of the IDW version of the character, and when you look back at a character like say Classics Bumblebee you realize how far the line has come in terms of the detail they put in. The only drawbacks I could mention are that he is small (only the same size as Trailcutter) and he tends to be a bit top-heavy, you have to position the legs properly to get him to not fall over backwards.

Hatchback mode
    *Once again, very true to the IDW representation, though without the cybertronian light grids on the side. Certainly could pass for an earth vehicle, bringing the whole ‘robots in disguise’ concept back into play. A little plain maybe, but plenty of detail in the grill and the racing stripes and a very good representation of that type of vehicle.

Transformation
    *A good level of Transformation is required here. While not overly complicated, there is enough to do to keep you interested and make it more than a 20 second process.

Worth getting?
    *Yes. Yes he is. And not just because he comes with an extra cool comic, even though that is a welcome bonus. You should buy this toy. If you don’t other people will wonder why and perhaps judge you harshly for it. That might not be fair of them, but it’s what they will do so go get Skids now!

Im getting a 2nd figure

I love this toy. Definitely worth getting if you ask me.

I did 2 detailed reviews of it on my blog, which is a little different from the format here. For those who might be interested, here they are

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.hk/...meets-eye.html

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.hk/...09-review.html

The links also contains fixes for QC issues for Skids.

And just for fun....

Last edited by heroic_decepticon; 2nd January 2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added photo

It's a great toy, very pleased with it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED A++++++

A nice toy, but not brilliant. Lots of good features (which others have already mentioned), but also some rather disappointing aspects too (which I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned yet). These include:
    + Legs are unable to fully swing forward. This is due to two tabs on the upper thighs catching onto the front waist plates. See how the front leg is slightly forward in the stock photo? That's as far forward as the leg goes! He cannot even walk properly let alone perform a forward kick!
    + The big chunky shoulders also limits its own articulation. The shoulders can swing up and down, but are hindered from fully swinging out to the sides.
    + The toy is somewhat back heavy. It really needs some flip out heel spurs to help support the weight, especially given that it's more difficult to counter balance the toy by moving the legs forward!

On a personal preference note, the blue is a bit too light for my liking. I would've preferred a darker shade of blue to better match G1 Skids - but IDW Skids is pretty light blue, so I don't fault Hasbro for choosing this shade given that they are aiming to make this toy like the IDW model. It'll be interesting to see if TakaraTOMY chooses a darker more G1-accurate blue. The accessories are excellent, love how he comes with his rifle and the Nudge Gun, and it's cool how they can both attach to the vehicle mode for additional play value there. I haven't tried to combine the weapons yet.

One interesting design feature is the windscreen/roof panel. There's actually a double hinge on it which allows the windscreen to articulate, but the official transformation doesn't show any need for it at all, which leaves me to wonder what the "authorial intent" for it may have been. I came up with two possibilities - the first is to tuck the windshield down and back so it sits against the roof panel and thus reduces the size of the back kibble. The alternative is to lift it up behind the head to give the toy a more "G1-esque" look, although the shoulder guns must be stowed away in this configuration (so I highly doubt this was ever the designer's intent, but more like my own fan-mode ). And technically the windscreen faces backwards on the G1 toy, making the official configuration the most G1 accurate in that regard anyway. I personally prefer the "reduced kibble" configuration as it makes use of the joint, and also appears to be more accurate to IDW Skids who doesn't appear to have a pronounced/visible windscreen kibble like his original G1 counterpart.

This toy suffers from getting in its own way. Consequently I would only recommend it if you really want this figure and preferably can find it at below RRP.

Gok, you obviously have not seen recommendations on how to fix the leg-swing issue and back-heavy issues. The latter is because you probably have not transformed it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    I love this toy. Definitely worth getting if you ask me.

I did 2 detailed reviews of it on my blog, which is a little different from the format here. For those who might be interested, here they are

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.hk/...meets-eye.html

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.hk/...09-review.html

The links also contains fixes for QC issues for Skids.

For better balance and will not keel over due to it being 'back-heavy'.

Thank you!

So basically this toy comes with misassembled hips. Your leg configuration also helps a lot, and I noticed that it actually locks into place that way too, whereas the official (i.e. according to the instructions and stock images) configuration doesn't. So this may be another "authorial intent" feature that was glossed over in the instructions and official photography.

P.S.: I trust you won't mind if I share your QC fix link with others?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Thank you!

So basically this toy comes with misassembled hips. Your leg configuration also helps a lot, and I noticed that it actually locks into place that way too, whereas the official (i.e. according to the instructions and stock images) configuration doesn't. So this may be another "authorial intent" feature that was glossed over in the instructions and official photography.

P.S.: I trust you won't mind if I share your QC fix link with others?
    ah, great that it helped.

From what I hear, not all Skids' comes with misassembled hips, but most of them do.

Happy for the fixes to be shared, no problem

Brilliant toy, perfect representation of the character and a very well designed toy that looks all the better for the extra weaponry, the last toy I felt that was this armed to the teeth was Cybertron Defense Hot Shot.

Wonderful figure, okay comic that comes with it and easily the best figure to be released in the revamped generations line.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Love this guy. Lots of weapons and a comic accurate robot mode. Details are spot on and his gimmicks are quite non intrusive. My only complaint is the colour, which is more of an aqua green than the bright sky blue that I expected, though it is darker and suits the character more. Lots of different little changes you can make to suit your preferences as well, such as the windscreen, wings, and weapons. There are some balance issues, but those can be remedied with the fixes above.

Alt mode is great as well, very clean and the front's paint details are superb.

Definitely recommended.