Thread: Titans Return Trypticon - Hip Joint Modification

Default Titans Return Trypticon - Hip Joint Modification

This modification apparently prevents damaging TR Trypticon's hip joints.
    http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=31946&ss=as

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    This modification apparently prevents damaging TR Trypticon's hip joints.
    http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=31946&ss=as
    Kudos to that guy as he was pretty much the first person to come up with a fix for this problem. Don't think I could have originated it.

However with the help of Fatbot and Krayt have found a much simpler solution with no need for cutting the spring or filing the ratchet teeth HERE

it's interesting to see that working the spring like that would soften it.

Normally I would say that working a metal of any type, would gradually harden it, making it more stiff and brittle. Though I would have said that would take a whole lot more cycles than could be applied by hand in a 10 minute period. Perhaps it's got something to do with the state the springs are in straight out of the factory?? I'm going to have to look this up. Applying the slippery plastic is a brilliant idea.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    it's interesting to see that working the spring like that would soften it.

Normally I would say that working a metal of any type, would gradually harden it, making it more stiff and brittle. Though I would have said that would take a whole lot more cycles than could be applied by hand in a 10 minute period. Perhaps it's got something to do with the state the springs are in straight out of the factory?? I'm going to have to look this up. Applying the slippery plastic is a brilliant idea.
    It weakens the tension built up in the coil of the spring, not the metal of the spring itself

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

We have been playing with this fix from p5 of the Trypticon review thread. Pic have been hard to come by.

Not sure if you want to be weakening the spring if you are taking the ratchet teeth out of the equation.

There is a second hip issue.
    This is the pic from step 8.

See how the left hip is angled up? It should be sitting flat. There are two teeth plates in the black part that needs to be rotated 90 degrees to fix that.

Also there is a tail issue mentioned in the review thread.

From BigAngryTrev's blog

If you are a hardcore Transfans you have probably spent a hefty period of your life doing repetitive hand movements anyway

How does he know that about me?!? Has he been peeping?
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I've just tried my hand at fixing my trypt's left leg - the right was fine. I spent half an hour pumping the spring (errrr... not a euphemism) but the leg still wouldn't rotate. I ended up cutting a circle out of a toothpaste tube and sticking that over one of the ratchets. Now it moves silky smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    It weakens the tension built up in the coil of the spring, not the metal of the spring itself
    So what you're saying is you compressed the spring enough to push the metal past it's yield point, effectively shortening the spring?
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    So what you're saying is you compressed the spring enough to push the metal past it's yield point, effectively shortening the spring?
    Am I? I dunno, I'm not a metallurgist

In Dopey-Trev terms "I squeezed the spring for 10 minutes and after that it felt much easier to compress than than the spring I hadn't messed with yet"

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    From BigAngryTrev's blog

If you are a hardcore Transfans you have probably spent a hefty period of your life doing repetitive hand movements anyway

How does he know that about me?!? Has he been peeping?
    Being Ozformer of the Year grants me a certain level of omniscient ability when it comes to fellow members, though I certainly seem to have aimed it in rather odd places I will admit