Page 93 of 154 FirstFirst ... 73838889909192939495969798103113 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Currently watching the remake of 3:10 to Yuma (starring Christian Bale & Russell Crowe) in preparation for the soon to be released remake of The Magnificent Seven.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Currently watching the remake of 3:10 to Yuma (starring Christian Bale & Russell Crowe) in preparation for the soon to be released remake of The Magnificent Seven.
    I need to watch the original Magnificent Seven in preparation for the new Magnificent Seven.

Oh and maybe a re-watch of Seven Samurai is in order too... hrm, I just lent that to a friend as well....

How could I forget about Seven Samurai from the director that made a big impact on George Lucas.

So I saw Magnificent Seven yesterday evening.

WINS
    + Film is at its best when it focuses on the witty interplay between the characters. It should have done this more.
    + Intense kinetic action sequences.

ON THE FENCE/YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY
    > Chris Pratt plays Chris Pratt. Again.
    > Some of the Seven don't get that much screen time. Best comparison is to Ocean's Eleven, and how some of the Eleven characters didn't get many minutes.

LOSSES
    - The film isn't very good when it strays off the path of 'ensemble cast/action film'. There are bits where it tries to show dramatic depth, like the opening few scenes, and it just doesn't work.
    - In following the above point, the film sets up and then squanders, doesn't develop or entirely forgets and drops potentially interesting character arcs for several characters, notably those played by Ethan Hawke and Chris Pratt.

It was average good. More or less what you'd expect. Solid six and a half out of ten. Popcorn fun. A basic action shooter where Chris Pratt tells jokes and Denzel is a badass.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Just watched X-Men Apocalypse, can't say it was their best effort. Was very slow for the first hour or so and I also wasn't a big fan of the Apocalypse characterisation. Still nice to see the main X-Men characters like Cyclops and Jean develop their powers. I would give it a 6/10.

Someone that deserves a mention for his part in The Magnificent 7 is Peter Sarsgaard as Bartholomew Bogue. He showed in Ant Man that he knows how to play the vile capitalist psychopath and he does it again for a wild west setting.

Just watched Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders. Great stuff. I really hope that Hoyts plays more and more special screenings like this. I saw Killing Joke at the cinema, now this. It's fantastic.

Also saw new trailer for Lego Batman and holy hole in a donut it looks like it will be great

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Someone that deserves a mention for his part in The Magnificent 7 is Peter Sarsgaard as Bartholomew Bogue. He showed in Ant Man that he knows how to play the vile capitalist psychopath and he does it again for a wild west setting.
    Peter Sarsgaard isnt in the Antman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by XMan View Post
    Peter Sarsgaard isnt in the Antman movie.
    Gotta admit though, they do look similar

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I need to watch the original Magnificent Seven in preparation for the new Magnificent Seven.

Oh and maybe a re-watch of Seven Samurai is in order too... hrm, I just lent that to a friend as well....
    Don't forget the Star Wars Clone Wars episode "Bounty Hunters," which is basically the story of the Seven Samurai compacted into a 25 min cartoon episode. It's actually a really nice (if not heavily abridged) version of the story that gets across the main gist of the tale. The episode was dedicated to the memory of Kurosawa Akira too.