Page 66 of 154 FirstFirst ... 465661626364656667686970717686 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    One of a few actors that I could listen to all day. He's a brilliant narrator!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Yeah and he was brilliant in Boston Legal and what he is current doing in The Blacklist is very good too
    Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    Now I need to go back again to watch him with Kurt Russell in Stargate.
    Oh I am so glad to see that there are other James Spader fans about, the guy is bloody wizard-level talented!

Anyone seen the Ukrainian film The Tribe? Was showing at ACMI until Sunday. It's entirely in Ukrainian sign language with no voice-over/subtitles/translation of any kind. It's a pretty brutal, demanding film and while I'm not sure I could recommend it (or even if I like it, I'm kinda conflicted) it was certainly a unique experience.

Also I've never seen so many people leave during a film, nor have I seen people faint during a film. So yeh that's a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Oh I am so glad to see that there are other James Spader fans about, the guy is bloody wizard-level talented!
    Alan Shore: Do you think the army would let two flamingos enlist?
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    Alan Shore: Do you think the army would let two flamingos enlist?
    Loved the bromance between Alan Shore and Denny Crane - thought it was so cool they got married in the end

Just watch Madmax last night..... it a great popcorn movie , some parts are very funny..... not much of a story , very little dialogue and everyone just mumble in it ....it like one long 2hr car chase !!

Also watch Ex Machina last week....a very brilliant smart sci fi drama .... recommend it for all the scifi lover as it raises very good opinion about AI and human interaction.....

I saw Fury Road on the weekend, and it was brilliant, a perfect action film. The story is simple but it's well told through images rather than dialogue. It's a big chase film but that means it doesn't slow down for a minute, and though there is little dialogue the characters are well acted and well directed enough for you to like or loathe. lost of Australian accents too.

And best of all it's epic action and not a Zach Snyder CGI fest.

Take note Hollywood this is what action films should be, not overly convoluted poorly explained, lifeless CGI fests.

I just hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as other non cookie cutter action films before it, like Dredd and Edge of Tomorrow that failed to draw the same crowds as endless terrible Transformer films, and others sequels like them.

That's why we can't have nice things.

Megatran Guest

'The Thing' is currently showing on SBS2. Not the recent remake. One of my favourite sci-fi movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Tuff Turf.

Still one of my fave films

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    'The Thing' is currently showing on SBS2. Not the recent remake. One of my favourite sci-fi movies.
    Ironically John Carpenters 'The Thing' can loosely be called a remake of the 1950's film 'The Thing From Another World'. John Carpenters one is better though and a classic of cinema really, I haven't seen the new one, but I'm guessing I shouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I haven't seen the new one, but I'm guessing I shouldn't bother.
    Don't watch it. Despite that it's a prequel it's just the first movie done worse (it was a remake that was altered into a prequel, and it's obvious). Even worse is that they CGI'd over the practical effects because test audiences prefer CGI.

Honestly one of the only movies I can genuinely wish I never saw.